IGNORED

Need some insight

Squidley

Well many of you know that Lonna and I are headed towards Texas, Tennessee is an awsome state, but there are too many from michigan and the surrounding states headed there.

What I need from some of you folks is options for moving. We have done the Pensky trucks before and I know about them. Seems right now it's a supply and demand thing and they are truly rediculous in price. I thought about the PODS thing, but they want more paperwork filled out than when I joined the Military, just to get a quote. Needless to say I am not impressed.

Please let me know of any of your experiences and avenues for shipping the household to Texas. I'm not necessarily looking for someone to come in and pack it all, we can handle that. I'm just looking for options and obviously a good price, right now it's looking like a $3K deal if we rent a truck and the fuel and whatnot....I'm not impressed with that either

:no-no-no:

I'll be keeping an open mind and hopefully we'll get some alternate ideas, as always, Thanks in advance.

Not knowing your timeframe or what vehicles you have, here is an idea.

For the money you're talking, buy a large trailer and load up what you need and/or must keep. Have a garage sale on the rest of the stuff and head for Texas.

Once you get settled in Texas, sell the trailer and recoup most, if not all of the cost of the trailer and repurchase what you couldn't fit but would enjoy having in Texas.

Depending on the size trailer you can get, you should be able to pack quite a bit of stuff in the space left over after loading the bike!

Dave

Best advice I can offer is to sell and give away everything that you can. The less you have to move the easier its going to be for both you and the wife in terms of labor,time,and costs! Course ya gotta realize that once yer in Texas you will have the joy of going shopping to replace what you have previously sold or disposed of.

Boomer......who would ride to Texas nekkid on his Venture if he could get out this dumba$$ State of Connecticut.

Yep, I'd never heard of it before until Steve deserted us, but when on a budget it works pretty good. 'Specially when there are a few Venture riders in the area to help load... :)

Guest seuadr

i haven't tried abf personally, but i've heard good things.

another thing to consider is, check out places like ryder. they are more reasonable in prices. for instance, when i moved (far less distance than you!) i called penske, and they wanted money per mile. after all was said and done, it was gonna cost nearly 300 dollars to move.

ryder wanted 80 dollars for the truck. truck rental came with 1500 miles no charge.

i bet you can guess which one i picked :)

i went with the 26 foot truck, it fit all of our stuff.

Brad: Check ABF U Pak. I moved here from CA using ABF.

Steve,

I was just on their website and I like what I saw. I have done the truck thing and if you think about it, it's a more money and aggrivation. Right now I'm heavily leaning towards the ABF U pack....Thank you to all that have posted up comments, I really appreciate it :happy34:

find someone near where you're moving that needs work and has either a truck or a heavy duty pickup with trailer mount (like for pulling a large livestock trailer). Rent a trailer only if you have to. Pay the guy to drive to Michigan and help you load, and then drive it back to Texas. bet if you ask around you can find someone who needs the money.

Hey Brad, They got a couple of options. Door to Door , Door to terminal, or terminal to terminal, Let us know when the Upack is do in Houston and I'll run down and help break ,,, uh ,, I mean move things....

Oh yea, You have to ask for the ramp when you place the order

Now you have lots of options, just don't don't wreck up a knee the day before you go. That could be a real bummer.

You bet, if I did though I would call you up and ask you to help pack...seeing I couldn't

:whistling:

Buddy,

I did notice that and I would go for a door to door. The price that was quoted for what I believe we'll need is $2600. I would be that plus some with a rental truck and the fuel, little own flying a 3rd driver either up here to drive a vehicle or or back here after it's done. I'll work on the price a bit, but the ABF is looking really good to me

Here's my insight. Change your plans and head for Tennessee, the greenest state in the land of the free! JMO.

Jack,

Let me say that Lonna and I both love Tennessee, it's a beautiful state and we love being there. Right now you have all the damn yankees that you can handle coming down. I have been watching prices on housing down there double in price since we started looking 2 1/2 years ago. I dont like to be a pessimist, but Tennessee is going to go through some growing pains here very soon. It has never been an industrialized state and now all of a sudden it's booming, that will come to an end too as there is only so much it can handle in a short time.

Sorry about the ramblings, but My guts tell me Texas is the place to go....but we'll definitely come to Tennessee for a visit :thumbsup2:

Hey Squid-

I own a dad-gum 18 foot u-haul with a 6.9 diesel and a class 3 hitch on the back. Runs great, has AC that is cold and has current plates and insurance on it. Used it to move from Ohio to Texas. Three round trips. Last trip was 17,000lbs with the tandem trailer on the back. It even has the rear ramp yet. I can post pictures later. Looks a bit rough on the paint but even has reclining buckets from an 88 Ramcharger and a CD player. A 1st Gen cross-ties in it pretty good.

JB

Hey Squidley,

What part of Houston are you going to land in?

Already got the job lined up?

Hope things work out for you, it is pretty much year round riding here with the exceptions of the occasional flood and hurricane.

We've been here since 93, I am a native midwesterner and the wife a Native Texan.

Anyway, good luck with the move. PM me when you are going to be here to unload and I will work on getting it in my schedule.

Guest wrench

Squidley, one more option would be a trucking company. There is a company here in Elizabethtown called Keyboard Carriage that will haul pretty much anything to keep from dead-heading. They primarily haul pianos and motorcycles, but a friend of mine that drives for them has picked up cars from Barrett-Jackson in Arizona on his way back from a California run, and he's in Sturgis now for two weeks with a load of bikes for a show. Here is their contact info if you want to check them out,,,

Keyboard Carriage

Contact Person:
Joe Gay

809 S. Park Rd.

Elizabethtown, KY 42701

Phone:
270-737-5797

Good Luck!!