IGNORED

The Trip.....

Squidley

Ok Folks...

Time to sit down by the campfire and let all of the cats out of the bags. Some of you know that I purchased another bike since I had to sell my '08 due to finances. Well I bought another 1st gen as it's what I can afford right now. It's an '89 2 tone blue and needs a little TLC but thats just the start of it...onward.

We left after I was done with work on Thursday and headed down to Freebirds. We spent Thursday night with Don and Eileen and had a nice supper with them, it's good to spend time with the boss and his missus. Friday morning, too awful early to consider being awake...but we were. At 3:45 am we left Oberlin Ohio to head east to Burlington Vermont where the new scoot awaited it's new owner. Now I got to tell you, It's a LOOOONNNNGGG way to Vermont from Ohio and we ended up going through part of the Adorondacks. Beautiful area to ride in....not so much for being in a cage.

Well we finally made it to Vermont and the bike (we tried to outrun some storms, but they decided to catch us) Now of course I had to break in the bike by loading it in the pouring rain...never fails. Bike loaded, rain stopped (of course) and off back west. Now mind you, we have already been on the road for about 700 miles and 10+ hours. The next destination...Alden NY and some fella named Tom and his wife named Vicki. Well we made it to Alden NY, at about 11pm and Tom was gracious enough to come and drive us into his place. I would have probably been in trouble trying to find it in the dark, Thanks Tom :)

Saturday was uneventful as the 4 of us just sat around and relaxed, and got some ice cream (ask Tom why I got 4 scoops and he only got 3 :stirthepot:) In the evening we headed to Bongobob's about 45 minutes away and Bob cooked dinner for us, it was a great day. Saturday night we stayed with Bob and Becky and laughed and drank...just a little :whistling: Sunday morning we slept in a bit and Bob made some fantastic omlets with cream cheese, gotta go back for some more of them! We headed off from Bobs about 10:30am in the trek west back to Michigan. Of course were dealing with all the 4th of July traffic and it's slow going at times. Had to pass up stopping at Freebirds to let him see the bike, unfortunately we didn't have the time and had to forgo letting him see the new scoot.

Finally got past the state line and heading up to my shop to grab my car which we left it at. This is were the fun really started..... Were headed up North I 275 and clipping along nicely, actually looking like were going to get home a bit earlier than I expected. All of a sudden I hear this sound, looked at Lonna and said "What the hell was that?" I look in the mirror and see the trailer weaving side to side and tires flying :yikes: Well after I get the trailer to the side of the road and stopped I look and see that the bearings in the hub are disintigrated and the hub is just barely held on :confused24: OK now what :rant:

I get on the phone and call up Dave Pankow (Jus monkeyin around) and ask him nicely for help. He came out with his truck and trailer and load my bike into it, Thank God for good buddies :happy34: I left my broken trailer on the side of the road and headed to the shop to get my car. Now I call in and take Monday off as I have to get my trailer from the side of the freeway. Monday morning I get another friends trailer and Dave came with us and loaded the trailer on another trailer....kinda redundent isn't it. Finally after all the running around we got the broken trailer and my new bike to the house. I know that some folks wanted to see pics and hear of the tail, so there it is in a nutshell. Anytime you think things can't get worse...they can :stickpoke:

Oh BTW Fridays mileage was over 1000 miles and about 19 hours, I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack. Lonna is a saint, riding with me all the way, hard to find a good woman like that my friends :thumbsup2:

Edited by Squidley

...in so many ways. One, the bike didn't come unglued from the trailer. Two, the trailer didn't cause damage to your car or anyone else's. Three, you got a new to you bike (sorry it had to be a 1st gen :). Four, you got a great wife to make the long trek with you. Five, the "familia" took care of you at every turn.

I'd say that bike is already blessed.

David

Glad everything turned out OK on your Long trip. Also Happy you have another Venture . Squid I Would like to ask if your going to be starting a collection of First Gen. Venture's in your garage.:stickpoke:

Wish we had more time & Money I would come up and see you and get some riding time in....

Buddy

Guest seuadr

too bad you didn't have the bike on a trailer on a trail.. that'd be a great pic!

glad to hear you got a new scoot, and thanks for sharing!

Squid, Glad you got a bike, and a wonderful First Gen to boot! Nice that you moved UP in bike while saving some money~! LOL

Now, after the fact, but your experience is a good lesson in one of the first laws of towing a trailer:

Always....ALWAYS check the wheel bearings and tires for temperature with your bare hand every.....EVERY time you stop! Ever see a truck driver hop out at a stop and go around his truck before high tailing it to the bathroom? They know that to get the "temp" of the vehicle, you check it as soon as you can after you stop. Touch every tire (on tow vehicle too) and the trailer, and also touch the axle/bearings. This means if you have hubcaps that cover the bearings on a trailer, you should remove them.

Too hot to touch for more than a couple of seconds? Then you have a problem. Even on a 100 degree day, bearings should be just warm to the touch, never hot. Tire tread and sidewalls can get hot, but should not be too hot to touch for several seconds.

This was probably building for many trips.

Get in the habit of checking those things every time.

Glad you weren't hurt and got home OK, sounds like a fun trip otherwise. Let us know how you like the new old bike! I love my '86 VR.

Brad, that is a memorable experience in the picking up of your bike. I'm glad everything worked out in the end without any further damage or expense to you.

I sure hope the start to your riding season with this bike will be enjoyable without any further incidents.

Dave

Hey Brad, looks like my run of luck at MD happened to transfer to you for this run. Glad you were closer to home when this happened, not so far to go for a fix. Could'a happened over in NY where it would've been a pain (you would have to stay at Toms house longer!) :innocent:

A lot of agravation I say . all those miles having to put up with Tom and Bob . Forced to eat all that ice cream etc. etc. etc.----But at least you upgraded to a 1st gen so I guess in the long run it was all worth it:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

The funny part about all this is, I am anal on keeping things greased and maintained. I checked the bearing in the spring like I always do. The hubs never gave any indication that they were bad, trailer pulled perfectly the whole trip. I did manage to get one of the inner bearing shells off and it said China on it

:doh:

I have to say that I will be going with either some Timken or SKF bearings when I redo it. I was very surprised that the bearing came apart like it did. The cages and rollers were completely gone, but the castleated nut washer and cotter ket were still in place and not damamged :confused24:

We'll get both of them back together and get all this behind us, just figured that you folks like stories :thumbsup2:

Hey Brad & Lonna, Glad your trip went well other than the Trailer Insodent. At least you were able to see some Good People and spend some time having fun. Your new bike looks nice, very glad to see you riding again. Take Care, Later-

Well after I get the trailer to the side of the road and stopped I look and see that the bearings in the hub are disintigrated and the hub is just barely held on

Old converted boat trailers have a tendency to do that. Water launches can really mess up the bearings and spindles..... don't ask me how I know that...... :) Glad you're OK, and the new2U bike made it... it coulda been worse.. See how lucky you are..... :thumbsup2: