IGNORED

Ihad a major opps thursday night

bryanklay

I am sooooo sorry to tell you all this, but i had a motorcycle accident on thursday evening in florance,sc. i have a broken right wrist and a broken right thumb. the bike is hurt but the trailer is in good shape. what happen is the trailer started to fishtail and the bike with trailer went out of control. pictures will follow tomarrow

bryan lay

:crying:

Sorry to hear your bike is damaged, but sure glad you are still here!! Bikes are replaceable--people aren't. Broken thumbs are a pain, I broke my left one in my accident and I'm left handed. It's amazing how useful those digits are. Hope there's not too much pain?

when i saw the bike and trailer yesterday afternoon, the trailer has three small marks on the left headlight the motorcycle is toast. the upper and lower fairings are gone the gas tank has a large dent on the fowardright side where we think my hand hit the tank,trunk,right saddle bag. left saddle bag and rail are in great shape. thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. if my bike does get totaled, i hope that yamaha has a third gen venture because i am going to wait untill feb 2010 to buy a new bike. this time frame allows me to have about 11,000 dollars and my schooling complete so i can go and buy a brand new motorcycle.:thumbsup2:

Of all the posts, nobody posted WHY the accident happened. If I read it right, the trailer started swaying (fishtail?) and caused a wreck.

This happened probably because there was not enough weight on the hitch. OR negative weight.

You need 10% of the TOTAL trailer and load weight on the tongue. This means if you have 400 pounds total trailer and load, you need 40 pounds on the ball/tongue.

This can vary a little up or down, but stay close to the 10% number.

zero or negative weight will cause the trailer to be unstable and fishtail sometimes so bad you can't save it. ON a larger car/truck trailer, the solution is apply the trailer brakes only, but almost all motorcycle trailers have no brakes.

I am sorry for your accident, but hope the above into helps prevent another one. If the cause was something else (blown tire/bad bearing) then let us know.

But this also is a chance to mention that inspecting the load (so it doesn't shift taking weight off the front), inspecting the tires and bearings (feel for heat and test for tire pressure, look for bumps, bubbles in tires) should be something you do at EVERY stop and before taking off every morning.

That does sound to be a lot of damage on the bike. Glad to hear that you are doing fine and just recovering right now. If your insurance 'totals' the bike, it may be a blessing is disguise that you may have a brand new bike in less than a year from now.

Regards.

in answer to the question about the trailer, on friday morning my friend and i went and looked at the bike and trailer. we thought the same thing abbout the weight on the toun, but when we opened up the lid we found that the trailer was properly loaded and nothng had moved. when i do go out with the trailer i do weight the trailer andwhen i weighted the trailer on wednesday at 225 lbs total and toung weight was 30 lbs. i just recievedd the pictures tonight from my friend and will post them tommarow.

have a great day

bryan

Glad to hear that you're ok,,,, bet it not ok that the scoot is done, but you're ok and healable, that's super.

As to trailering comments, if mine should ever start to sway, the throttle would be my friend, just pour on some fuel and get it straightened out then slow down. Doesn't help a whols lot with a flat tire, but will get you out of some other issues.

Gos's Speed and ride save.

Carl