IGNORED

Warranty issue, need advice

usnmustang

I appologize up front as this may turn into a lengthy post, but I need advice from you all.

Background;

I bought my 07 RSTD late last year from a local dealer with a good rep. I was originally looking at a different Yamaha (1300 Tourer) and had fully researched it when I found my RSTD for the same sale price ($8,999). I figure it's late in 08 and they need to get the 07 off the floor so they are offering a great deal. I couldn't pass it up so I got the RSTD. When I was doing my financing, the 'finance guy' offered my an extened warranty that would cover the bike for 48 months after the 12 month factory warranty ran out. I had no clue that the Royal Star was supposed to have a 5 year factory warranty (which I learned later from this site and verified in my owners manual), so I bought the extended warranty. Left that day showing 0000.1 on the odometer none the wiser.

:mo money:

Revelation;

I figure I don't need the extended warranty so I go to the dealer and tell them the situation expecting them to either give me the money back or credit my account. So after the initial "oh, you only have a 12 month factory warranty... oops, that's a royal star." discussion with one of the finance folks, she admitted that I should not have been sold the extended warranty. :bang head:She also said they would cancel the extended one and credit my account. Great! Says she need to verify paperwork and she'll be back.

Problem start;

She comes back and tells me that the bike does have a 5 year warranty, but that it's mechanical only. Now there was no mention of this when I bought the bike and I signed no paperwork stating that I was accepting a bike with other than a factory warranty. I explain this to her and want to know why the bike isn't under a full Yamaha factory warranty. I am told that the dealer gets some bikes in from the manufacturer this way and that is why they can sell them at such a good price. She then tells me that she the dealer invoice stated mechanical warranty only. I ask her why I wasn't told this and made to sign something when I bought the bike. Deer in the headlights.:starz: I then explained that if I bought the bike assuming I had a full warranty, even if for only the 12 months I was told, and then found out that it was only a 'mechanical warranty' that was not disclosed that they pulled a 'bait and switch'. Deer in the headlights with a heavy oh crap undertone.:yikes:

Work in progress;

She told me she would have to look into the file, corner the original finance worker, talk with her boss, blah blah blah. I told her I understood this wouldn't get fixed over night and that it might take a bit to clear up. I also told her that her dealership had a good rep and so did Yamaha and that I fully expect them to take care of me with a full warranty. "Well, I need to talk to Yamaha, blah blah..." but I will get back to you tomorrow or early next week.

My thoughts;

So I am leaning towards letting them have a chance to work this out. I am not sure if the dealer wants to call the mother ship and tell them they illegally sold a bike, basically putting themselves on report. I figure the 50lb heads need to get together and figure out a solution. Could be, they will warranty the bike for the 5 years for the parts that aren't covered by Yamaha, but I need to make sure I am covered no matter where I take the scooter.

Advice;

This is where I need your help.

Do I give the dealer a couple of days to work this out?

Do I call Yamaha customer service first thing tomorrow and intervene before they have a chance? This could mess up the dealer trying to fix it.

Is Yamaha Customer service the right place to start if I have to call?

Has anyone heard of a 'new' bike being sold with anything other than a factory warranty?

And the piece de resistance, what is considered 'mechanical'? Throttle? Forks? Springs? Shocks? Brakes?

Again, I appologize for the length, but I needed to get this out.:soapbox:

They are trying to yank your chain. This dealer needs to man up, refund your money they attempted to steal by selling you a bogus extended warranty, and fill you in on the full 5 year warranty.

Once they completely capitulate on this, find yourself a new dealer. This one is a crook.

RR

I have said it more that a few times on this site "I absolutely Hate to get ripped off"!!!

With that being said, I would suggest that you call the Yamaha Customer Service Rep. and get this taken care of ASAP! What ever you were basing your assumption on that this was a "good dealer" has turned out to be unfounded. Either this dealer is really stupid, (Holy Cow! we sold this poor guy a bike with a 5 year warranty and a extended warranty) or they RIPPED YOU OFF! (ha ha ha we sold this knucklehead a bike with a 5 year warranty and a extended warranty!) Either way, and even if I had to ride that bike to the next county, I would NEVER spend another penny at that dealer again! Zip, Nada, No Mas! Period! Why water a weed!!! If I was going to pay someone to "spank me" it would be a 6'4" Russian Redhead with high heels on not the guy I bought my motorcycle from!

My Thoughts, for what they're worth,

Earl

When ever monry is involved and you have been wronged, DON"T WAIT to get it resolved. A phone call should be made to Yamaha Customer Service from the dealers sales office. That way there is no misundersanding as to what is decided. To many times

an agent will say they are waiting for a call back or more info. before a problem can be fixed. Usually a delay tactic to let the wronged frustrated enough that they/you just give up. Deal with this at the Dealer's Location, you start calling Yamaha Corp. Customer Service from there, I would VENTURE to say this situation will be resolved very Quickly.

Shamue

I'm not a lawyer but I played one in a local production of "To Kill a Mockingbird"...

Some time has lapsed since you took delivery, time is important but you are less than a year so you are good. Document every discussion and get the name of every person you speak to. Call Yamaha and get their side. Monday is a holiday so I would expect your dealer to have an answer on Tuesday. If they haven't called you, call them first thing Wednesday morning and tell them "Time's up. No more Mr. Nice-guy. What are you going to do for me?" I suspect you may find a lawyer who may even take this on a contingency basis. One call from a lawyer and things will start moving fast. Your dealer is struggling right now with the poor economy. Last thing they want is negative press. Maybe even contact the local news station that does the consumer advocacy stuff. Bad press can kill! They better make this right! Right is, you want a new bike at that price. If Yamaha is dumping this bike there must be a reason for it. You want full disclosure at minimum.

IMHO, there is no such thing as a new scoot with a reduced warranty so that it can be sold cheaper. They're either B/Sing as a stalling tactic or they're plain clueless, they need to be educated the hard way.

I can promise you if they did this to you, they've done it to others... THEY KNOW BETTER... They know what the warranty is for a bike. As stated, there is no such thing as a reduced warranty to sell for a cheaper price...

I'd be all over this yesterday like mentioned.. I'd be calling anyone and everyone that would have an interest... Pure and simple, they flat out scammed you.

Time to let go of your ankles and stick it back to them..

I am wandering if this bike being it is an 07 sold in late 08 had been sold before, maybe on a lay away plan lost his job couldn't make payments or he bought it got cold feet, scared to ride, or died before delivery, but even if any of those things happened, it would still have transferable warranty left and the dealer has every responsibilty to let you know you were buying a previously owned machine an is hiding the truth that he sold you a previously owned never ridden scoot. Which he would of had to tell you, because warranty starts the day the bike is sold, leaving you with less than 5 year factory warranty.

As everone else has said something is wrong with this deal. Call the better business bureau NOW!!!!!! I bought my 08 Venture in January of this year and found several hold over 07 so I know they were available but as they say if it looks like crap, smells like crap, it must be crap. Now go kick some:buttkick:

Notify Yamaha customer service by calling them then follow up in writing via registered mail for your records of this issue. I would also speak to an atty. Most have an initial consulting fee for free. It cant hurt. Hope it all works out for ya.

I am wandering if this bike being it is an 07 sold in late 08 had been sold before, maybe on a lay away plan lost his job couldn't make payments or he bought it got cold feet, scared to ride, or died before delivery,

:sign yeah that:If this is the case and your title says "NEW" that could open a "new" can of worms too...:yikes:

BTW have you thought what you might call your newly aquired Yamaha Dealership? :smile5:

And the piece de resistance, what is considered 'mechanical'? Throttle? Forks? Springs? Shocks? Brakes?

In the case of the Yamaha 5 year warranty, rear fender tip to front fender tip is mechanical - with the exception of wear items. Wear items are: tires, brake pads, clutch, filters, battery, and fluids (oil, diff lube, antifreeze, brake/clutch fluid). EVERYTHING ELSE IS COVERED!

Let us know how this works out.

RR

Man oh Man!!!

I sure wouldn't handle crap like that well.

Conversation should go like "You misrepresented your product, you stole my money.. You have about 5 seconds to cut me a check or........:buttkick::buttkick:

Good luck man.

Why are you talking to some "finance clown" instead of the manager of the dealership??!!

Have you forgotten that $hit runs downhill and that you need to start at the top??They have committed FRAUD!!!!

Contact the manager immediately, tell him you will be contacting Yamaha (and do so as soon as you hang up, regardless of how the conversation ends), tell him you will be contacting the bunko squad (fraud division) and tell him you will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the local Chamber of Commerce.

And don't forget to contact the company which sells that extended warranty - bet it ain't Yamaha !!!

You got the shaft ! And giving these people even five courtesy minutes will only convince them of your sucker status !!!!!

And don't even think of using these crooks for your maintenance needs - Find another dealer!!!

Just to let everyone know--When I was looking for a new bike early this spring, I had one stealer that gave me an exceptional price on an 09. When I had them break the final price down so that I would know what I was paying for everything , they had an extented warrenty figured into the out the door price. When asked about the ext. war. the salesman said they sell quit a bit below everyone else and sell more bike because of their low price and that on a full dress bike I would want it. He even said it would be silly not to spend the extra money for it. When I said that I shouldn't need it because the bike had a 5 yr, he said I was wrong, it only had a 1 yr. He said they could sell for less because they only offered a 1 yr warrenty. Then informed him that I wanted to talk with the manager and he went to get him but came back and said that I was right. He then asked when I wanted to pick the bike up , because I told him I was paying with cash. I laughed and said very loudly that I would never spend a dime there because they were crooks trying to get me to pay for extra warrenty on a bike that had a 5 yr factory war. Severl people their and I know they heard me because they watched as I walked out the door.

You already own the bike--CALL YAMAHA ASAP !!!!

Edited by BuckShot
adding comment

Guest Roadburner

In May 08, I purchased a new 07 RSMV ($12,999) from a dealer in Ohio & had it shipped to Arizona.

Same thing happened to me. Yamaha finally reinstated the full warranty after I contacted the State Attorney General and the local news channel.

I still would not be aware of this if I had not taken the bike in for a warranty issue. There could be numerous bikes on the road that do not have full warranties and the owner does not know it! Ask the service department at your dealer to check your V.I.N. Number in their computer. This will tell you if your warranty is correct.

Good luck...let me know if I can help.