IGNORED

Carbtune consistency

Midrsv

Has anyone tried to contact Morgan to find out what they will do for you if your Carbtune isn't calibrated correctly? I was just wondering.:confused24:

Earl

My buddy is a Calibration Engr. with our organization and he may just be able to shed some light to this matter.:97:

I have a Morgan Carbtune and have never really liked it from the start. One of the rods seems to stick. It would seem to me that if you turned the carbtune up side down, all of the rods should go to the exact same spot because if all of the rods are the exact same weight, they should compress the spring the same amount. If I turn my carb tune upside down, I can get them to go to the same spot but I have to shake it.........that don't seem right. I have used it once but didn't really feel comfortable with the accuracy.

Ditto the above.

Connect all the tubes to one steady (or as steady as possible) source and see if they read the same. If they don't, ideally get a picture, then send them back to Morgan. Or rather email them first, then send them back.

I have absolutely no doubt that they will fix it, but who wants to mess with the cost and hassle of sending back something you are waiting to use? I'd prefer to buy a better designed piece of equipment right up front (especially when it's less expensive too!).

Goose

who wants to mess with the cost and hassle of sending back something you are waiting to use? I'd prefer to buy a better designed piece of equipment right up front

Sorry - I was commenting on the original post - if he has one that is faulty, check it and send it back if necessary.

As to whether the Morgan carbtune is well engineered, well I've got one and it works fine. It is durable and will survive in a toolbox in a way that other gauges won't.

Before that I had the use of a 75cm long (at a guess) set of Morgan mercury gauges which were excellent. Mercury gauges I believe are more accurate, but much less transportable.

My only experience with dial gauges has been with Davida products, but I always felt that there was way too much variation between gauges and that I couldn't trust them. Certainly not after a few knocks.

Then again, sending them back is easier for me. I have the opposite problem with MotionPro products, but postage is MUCH easier now than ten years or more ago.

Bottom line is that there are different designs, which each have their advantages and disadvantages. Choose which meets your needs and then order from a supplier you trust.

IMHO:

accuracy:

1st mercury

2nd stainless steel rods

3rd dial gauge

convenience:

1st dial gauge (can be at any angle)

2nd stainless steel rods

3rd mercury

durability

1st stainless steel rod

2nd dial gauges (but any damage will not be visible)

3rd mercury (but any damage will be visible.)

There are actually another couple of type of gauges - digitalones and those where the pressure difference between two intakes is compared, but I have no experience of those.

Has anyone used the Emgo mechanical vacuum guage unit? Price seems good but I am wondering if they are sufficiently precise to set these carbs up properly.

Ross

I had one of those I bought at a rummage sale. When I hooked it up the needles quivered back and forth. Maybe I was missing something since I bought it used.

I had one of those I bought at a rummage sale. When I hooked it up the needles quivered back and forth. Maybe I was missing something since I bought it used.

There should be a Valve which you can adjust and make the Movement of the Needle slower. On my Gauges, the Valves are Part of the Rubber Hose Connector and you turn them down until the Needles barely move. They should remain some equal and slight Movement just to make you see how much you closed the Restrictor Valves and if they're are set evenly. Maybe your Set has them Restrictor Valves inside the Gauge ?

I went to Napa Auto parts and built this simple but effective Vacuume Manifold to check my Morgan Carbtune. Here is a breakdown of the parts and cost (pic below):

Part# 2-616 (2 needed) Vacuume Connector $1.49 each $2.98

Part# H-459 (1 foot needed) 5/32 Vacuume Tubing $.99

1 qty. 1/4-20 screw Free from toolbox

6% Tax (Pa.) $.24

--------

$4.21 Total

I hooked all 4 Carbtune lines to the manifold and hooked the Manifold line to one of the carbs. on my 87'VR. My Carbtune checked out OK.:confused24:

Earl

I went to Napa Auto parts and built this simple but effective Vacuume Manifold to check my Morgan Carbtune. Here is a breakdown of the parts and cost (pic below):

Part# 2-616 (2 needed) Vacuume Connector $1.49 each $2.98

Part# H-459 (1 foot needed) 5/32 Vacuume Tubing $.99

1 qty. 1/4-20 screw Free from toolbox

6% Tax (Pa.) $.24

--------

$4.21 Total

I hooked all 4 Carbtune lines to the manifold and hooked the Manifold line to one of the carbs. on my 87'VR. My Carbtune checked out OK.:confused24:

Earl

I bought these parts yesterday and checked mine and it was right on. I've had mine over 2 years and used it countless times, and helped others at m&e and have never cleaned it, so I figured better check it , but like I said it was right on. Thanks for the part list skydock.

I like mine too. I've had it for probably 4 years and have tuned MANY carbs with it. Take it apart and clean it from time to time and I think it will continue to give you many years of reliable service.

Exactly, I've used mine for a few years and found that about every once in awhile they have to be dissabled and cleaned (very easy to do). They seem to get a black residue on the metal rods that causes them to stick a bit. Once cleaned they operate perfectly. Be careful to put the rods back into the tube they came from, I clean and replace them one at a time to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...

The directions on the carbtune says to bump your throttle a little after each adjustment to make sure one tube is not sticking. I found that one adjustment sometimes affects the other cylinders, so I just go back and forth till it is right on. Of course I have only used mine a few times and am still getting the hang of it. Just did mine last week and it made a big difference. One question for the OP though, Did you install the inline dampers on your vac hose as directed in the instructions?