IGNORED

Need a Hitch

Badhardtail

Okay Guys,

I value everyone"s opinion here on this site! I want to buy a trailer hitch for my 07 Venture, I need some recomendations. I'm going to be pulling a small trailer, about the size of a Harbor Frieght with a Sears Cargo Top on it. I plan on doing both back road and highway driving with it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Mud season is almost over and the bikes will be coming out of the barn soon!!!

Thanks

Josh

I got mine here. Fellow venture rider and a great guy to deal with. $140 complete with stinger and ball.:thumbsup:

http://www.venturedad.com/

3rd ditto. As a side note, when my rear tire blew, I had to use my floor jack under the receiver hitch to jack the bike up enough to gett my bike lift under it. Was a little worried about if it was strong enough, but no worries.

I love this hitch. Detach from receiver and you cant see it which works great for the clean look of an RSTD. BTW I have a Harbor Freight trailer and Sears Car tote.. exactly as you described to pull. No problemo @ all. http://www.diamondraccessories.com/rstourdeluxe/proddisplay.php?name=Vertical%20Hide%20a%20Hitch

Edited by Mikealiasmike
Added description

I built mine. Copied the end brackets of the spacer bar and a couple of short pieces of 1.5" square tube with a 6"x4" piece of 1/4" plate for the safty chains to hook to. Then I shortened a stinger from Northern Tool. 1 1/4" square. Drilled holes to match for the reciever pin and wala. Took longer for the paint to dry than it did to make. Plan to build a flag mount to fit this reciever for PGR missions. want to fly the US, Texas, And PGR or MIA flags in trio.:Venture:

I built mine. Copied the end brackets of the spacer bar and a couple of short pieces of 1.5" square tube with a 6"x4" piece of 1/4" plate for the safty chains to hook to. Then I shortened a stinger from Northern Tool. 1 1/4" square. Drilled holes to match for the reciever pin and wala. Took longer for the paint to dry than it did to make. Plan to build a flag mount to fit this reciever for PGR missions. want to fly the US, Texas, And PGR or MIA flags in trio.:Venture:

Want to make another? :fingers-crossed-emo

Want to make another? :fingers-crossed-emo

I could, but I don't want to step on venturedads toes. He has an established business with this site. Were it not for having "tools to fix tools" I likly would have purchased his. I suppose I could remove the hitch photo it and post back the pics then if you still wanted to have one built maybe a local shop or handy niebor could help you out. BTW sorr it took so long to post back Been busy IT IS SPRING TIME IN TEXAS.:Venture:

After modifying my trailer and learning that 60lbs plus was to much for a hitch I googled all hitch manufacturers and requested their load ratings for their hitches. Most came back with 40lbs, one with 50lbs, and finally one at 60lbs. I started corresponding with the rep, Jim Victor who had the 60lb rating. He was a wealth of information and also happens to be the coauthor of "Pulling Your Tail". Anyhow I've reduced the load on my hitch back into the realm of reality and am getting Jim's hitch http://www.customcruiserchrome.com/ not so much so I can pull 60lbs at the hitch but more for a safety peace of mind! My current hitch from MCHitch http://www.mchitch.com/Yamaha_Royal_Star_Venture.htm will be for sale soon at a very attractive price!

After modifying my trailer and learning that 60lbs plus was to much for a hitch I googled all hitch manufacturers and requested their load ratings for their hitches. Most came back with 40lbs, one with 50lbs, and finally one at 60lbs. I started corresponding with the rep, Jim Victor who had the 60lb rating. He was a wealth of information and also happens to be the coauthor of "Pulling Your Tail". Anyhow I've reduced the load on my hitch back into the realm of reality and am getting Jim's hitch http://www.customcruiserchrome.com/ not so much so I can pull 60lbs at the hitch but more for a safety peace of mind! My current hitch from MCHitch http://www.mchitch.com/Yamaha_Royal_Star_Venture.htm will be for sale soon at a very attractive price!

Would love to see how you modified your trailer. Seems that it had to be a chore to get that balancing act together to become functional and safe. Kudos. :thumbsup: I do like the layout and if you got it balanced SWEET. God Bless. Mike

Hey Mike! Moved the wheels as far forward as I could get them (5 1/2"). This in involved taken the trailer apart, imposing on my welder friend, and reassembling the trailer once he finished. I have gotten real good at taken her apart and reassembling her! And I still have a welder friend! The moved shaved about 21lbs off the hitch and I am now down to 39lbs! I know, sounds like a weight lose program. LOL!

I also took this opportunity to paint the wheels black. They don't seem to make 8" chrome wheels! I will post pictures shortly but the trailer for all intents looks about the same! Thanks for the interest and kind words!!

• 1 month later...

I just built my own hitch.. a hidden reciever..

I took off the bar the runs under the fender, then welded a square tube to it running vertically upwards into the fender. Then on the tire side of the bar, I welded a plate to the bar, then further up on the square tube for support, and also for a place to attach the chains to.

Then I built the reciever using a smaller square tube that fits into the tube on the bike. Welded a flat plate to that which the ball mounted to.. slide it up into the bike and install the pin...

Once I remove the ball you can't tell there is a hitch on the bike. Nothing hangs below the OEM bar that comes on the bike.

It's a little bit of a pain to get the pin in, but not too bad. Worth it to me to have everything completely hidden.

Per all of the suggestions, I bought mine from Venturedad.

Instead of a trailer, I want to put one of the square racks on the back so I can carry an extra piece of luggage - another days worth of clothes.

Do you folks have a suggestion where to start looking?

How much weight can I put back there safetly?

This is all new to me.

craigr