IGNORED

Considering buying a Venture, but have concerns

All, I have owned or frequently driven a variety of full dressers over the last 25 years, including an XS1100, 1983 1st gen and the last being a 2003 GL1800A that I had to sell to put on a new roof in the last state I lived in. I am trying to decide between a new GL1800A, K1200LT, and Venture.

The pricing of the Venture and what it comes with are really attracting me, but the many posts (including '07 and '08 models) about the clutch Chirp and Gear Whine bother me, not so much because they occurred, but because it appears they cant be completely fixed and the respective dealers end up saying that is just how the bike is.

Have these problems been fixed or not? If I buy a 2009 RSV and have the problem, can it be completely fixed? I would not be a happy camper spending that amount of money and having to live with such noises.

The whine is fixed with the I basket though I've read posts where folks still have it which means the dealer didn't fix it. Our dealer told us they try a few I baskets to see which one takes care of the noise. From what the guys say the rear end deal needs more grease. Basically it's your choice on which bike you want. I'd test ride all the bikes you mentioned. We have folks that have both the other bikes, I'm sure they'd be willing to give you their points of view.

No matter which bike you decide on you are more then welcome to stick around. We don't care what you ride as long as you ride.

Margaret

Based on your post, there is really nothing to worry about. :Cool_cool36: The Venture comes with a 5 year Unlimited Miles Factory Warranty. As far as the whine is concerned, my '07 does not really whine enough to the point that it annoys me. Some members here recommend greasing the splines or realigning the rear ... and most of them report good results. Get the Venture and you will have a lot more $'s left in your wallet for more Bling. :mo money:

Buy the Venture but don't take it home until you know it's right. If you run down the road and it chirps, take it right back and ask them to get it fixed before you sign off on it. That way they'll have to do something or they won't sell the bike. Just ask to test drive the one you are looking at.

You will not be dissapointed with a RSV. I bought mine in 02 and the dealer and Yamaha have always taken care of any problem under the warranty. After seven years and 100k miles, it runs like a fine Swiss watch.

But remember, you should only buy what you want. Another option is a used RSV, with remaining factory warranty. You will save plenty and still have more warranty than any other new bike.

All, I have owned or frequently driven a variety of full dressers over the last 25 years, including an XS1100, 1983 1st gen and the last being a 2003 GL1800A that I had to sell to put on a new roof in the last state I lived in. I am trying to decide between a new GL1800A, K1200LT, and Venture.

The pricing of the Venture and what it comes with are really attracting me, but the many posts (including '07 and '08 models) about the clutch Chirp and Gear Whine bother me, not so much because they occurred, but because it appears they cant be completely fixed and the respective dealers end up saying that is just how the bike is.

Have these problems been fixed or not? If I buy a 2009 RSV and have the problem, can it be completely fixed? I would not be a happy camper spending that amount of money and having to live with such noises.

Man, if I can do it over again, I'd by the wing. & even after the problem was fixed, the rear end has the whine. its part of the bike, turn up the radio

I bought an '08 last May and put 6500 miles on it this year. So far.......NO chirp,and...what I would consider "normal" whine.What is "normal"? Well.. to ME, it's the sound that(bullet proof) straight cut gears make. Can I hear it? Yea,a little,but it's not bothersom, I can't hear it with the radio on. Apparrently SOME bikes have "excessive" whine,mine does not:cool10:. I like the 5 year unlimited mileage warrenty, and in my opinion, It is the MOST COMFORTABLE ride out there......but, to each his (or her) own!!!!! Good luck!!:thumbsup:

Also, I don't know how others feel, but I've always felt like online forums have a tendency to scare people. For example: when I was shopping around for my new bike, I was hitting the various forums trying to get a feel for the good and the bad of each bike I was considering. Most of the time, forums are jam packed with people throwing a fit, or crying for help, because they're having problems. Many people (I'm sure a few of you on here were the same way) join a forum at the beginning just because they're trying to get some help on a problem. What you don't get a feel for, are the tons and tons of people that never have a single problem with their bike. They just don't post on a daily basis how they had another ride with no problems.

So my suggestion, like others on here, is to simply go with what feels right, fits you, and fits your budget. Letting any of those three slide will only make you ultimately unhappy with your decision.

As for the whine, my '03 Midnight had a little bit to it, but nothing that ever bothered me. Had I never read about it here, I never would have even realized what it was. Like the above post, I just assumed it was a normal sound for the engine.

. to ME, it's the sound that(bullet proof) straight cut gears make.

Yamaha uses a spur gear primary drive. It's indestructible and maintenance free. Unfortunately spur gears are noisy.

Due to varying tolerances some are noisier than others. They also make noise at varying RPMs. Switching components (I basket) can sometimes quiet an excessively noisy one, or move the whine out of your cruising RPM.

If you decide to purchase a Venture, ride your unit before signing. That way you can make sure it's sounds aren't an issue for you.

I feel some people are like my wife. She hears every little noise and it's magnified. I have an '06 Venture with about twenty three thousand miles on it. I ride most every day. Yes I live in Florida. I love the bike and from my experience every Yamaha has that little whine. I've never heard one that is bad, it is just how Yamaha's sound. It seems some are worse than others or some people are just more sensitive to it. Personally, I love my Venture and I'm glad that it is the one I decided to buy. The Yamaha whine doesn't bother me and I've had no problems what so ever with the bike. Unless you count a couple of bolts backing out and the CB antenna breaking off for no reason. These were fixed under warranty with no hassle. Although I don't know you I would say you will be happy with your Venture.

Dennis

I was looking at the same three bikes. The issue isn't with the whine as much as what type of riding you do. The wing is a standard tour with a standard foot position. The BMW is a sport tour and the Venture is a cruiser. All three handle differently and sit differently. I've owned Suzukis, Hondas and Yamahas and they all have a certain amount of gear noise. I dont consider the the Venture bad. I do have custom pipes that will make most Harleys sound quiet :680: but even with the stock pipes I never thought the whine was bad enough to bother with. Pick the bike that "fits". I wouldn't even make the whine a consideration.

Just my .02

I was in the same boat as you about six months ago except I was looking at used RSV and Goldwings. I hear great things about both motorcycles. I hear complaints about both motorcycles. I went with a 2000 MM RSV and hears why. PRICE, I would have to buy a 6 to 8 year older Goldwing to be able to be in the same price range as a RSV. GAS MILEAGE, compared to the RSV the Goldwings gas mileage was bad. I get about 46 to 48 mpg on my RSV. My Goldwing friends and the research I did showed the Goldwing gets about 35 mpg. CONDITION, Every RSV I looked at compared to the Goldwings the RSV was either better kept up or they just don't show there age as bad. Every Goldwing I looked at had bottons missing or wood paneling fading, etc. Every RSV I looked at looked almost brand new. Now part of the reason was I was looking ar 1999 to 2002 RSV compared to 1003 to 1996 Goldwings because they were about the same price. They are both great bikes but if your buying a new one you need to buy what will make you happy. I did and I'mm glad I went with a RSV. Mine has every little whine if any. It has 32,000 miles on it and I am the fourth owner. I don't know what basket it has in it. I have a couple of good friends one with a 2005 and one with a 2006. Both have a noticable whine. I don't think either one has changed backets. They just turn the radio up. Whicever one you get you'll have a great bike so get out there and enjoy the ride.

Harry:smile11:

I bought my '05 Midnight last Sept. I've never had a touring/dresser before. I've ridden Yamahas for the better part of 30 years and every one I've ridden had the same sound. To me the stares and comments (all positive) I get and the comfort of the Venture are all worth the noise. Even my Harley loving brother likes the RSV. Never thought I'd hear him admit that one.

Smooth V-4, tons of power and head turning looks. Who could ask for more?

Thanks for all of the input, it definitely helps!

If I could test drive the RSV, the decision would be much easier. Unfortunately, the dealer is using the insurance angle to avoid allowing a test drive, even if the paperwork for the sale is all filled out and only needs a final signature. But, to be fair, I have checked other unrelated dealers in Tucson, as well as Phoenix, and have been given the same response. The exceptions are BMW and Victory, but they use designated Demo bikes, not necessarily the specific bike being purchased. I will check some more to see if any have used machines that I can try out. The dealer I am talking with doesn't currently have a used one.

If the gear noise is the same across shaft drive Yamaha's, especially the Venture family, then it probably wouldn't bother me. I put a lot of in-town and cross-country miles on my '80 XS1100 and my father's '83 Venture Royale and don't remember any bothersome noise.

The bike I get will likely see 15K - 20K per year commuting (70 - 80 miles round trip to work) and of course the really enjoyable vacation trips across country (including multiple high mileage days), so it needs to be a good all round bike.

The posts I've seen indicate that it will accomplish this, but it's always nice to get the feedback.

Thanks again for the fast replies!

I bought my '05 Midnight last Sept. I've never had a touring/dresser before. I've ridden Yamahas for the better part of 30 years and every one I've ridden had the same sound. To me the stares and comments (all positive) I get and the comfort of the Venture are all worth the noise. Even my Harley loving brother likes the RSV. Never thought I'd hear him admit that one.

Smooth V-4, tons of power and head turning looks. Who could ask for more?

My 07 does not have the chirp. It does have a whine but I don't even hear it anymore. For me, the size of the bike was the most comfortable for me. It's a big machine and works well for tall guys.

I would be hard pressed to buy a motorcycle without test riding one. When I first started looking for a new Yamaha I had my old bike in for service. I asked the salesman if I could test ride a Road Star (they didn't have an RSV on the floor). He gave me the same story about insurance, I told him I was not inclined to spend than much money for a new bike without test riding it. That was the last time I did business with that dealer. A year or two later I went to another dealer not too far away. When I asked the other dealer for a test ride he rolled the RSV I was looking at off the floor, gave me dealer tag and turned me loose. He said ride as far as you want. I was back in 20 minutes and bought the bike. I was very impressed with the RSV and love it. You really need to find a way to test drive each one to find the one that fits you. As loehring said, they each are different style bikes with different riding positions. You need to see what fits your riding style and riding position.

I bought a 08 Vstar Custom in June of 08...just to test the street...we had rode motorcross and raced just about every weekend. We really like riding on the street, but the little Vstar was not the most comfortable bike to go very far. I found this website and lerked and read and studied. I rode all over the country in a cage looking at bikes. I rode some Harley ultra classic's, and some Gold wings. I could not find a Venture to ride. I rode a Tour deluxe...that was cool. I really liked it but it did not seem to be much more than I had as far as comfort for the wife. I was really hopeing Yamaha was going to upgrade the Venture for 2009...get the Cassette out of there and fix some the problems discussed in the forum. Money was not really an issue, hell I got good credit. We rode a White Screaming Eagle Ultra that was really nice but it just did not do it for me. The wife was ready to purchase but I could not see spending that much money on a bike.

Well I was pissed when Yamaha did not upgrade the Venture. Really pissed. So now the 09's are out...and decided I was gonna buy a Venture, since I was a die hard Yamaha guy...from the racing all those years. We raced nothing but Yamahas.

I really did not like the colors of the 09 bikes...so I had decided I was gonna buy a Gray 08 and paint it BLACK. The more I thought about it, the more I did not want to do that. I decided their had to be a 07 Midnight Venture some where in the USA. Finally found one with 19 miles on it in Kentucky. Took off after it with a trailer. My dealer did a dealer transfer and let me have it at his cost since I had already pruchased 12 dirt bikes from him in the last few years. I had never rode a Venture till I got it home and cleaned it all up. IT was wonderful...confortable...cruise control...I loved it just like I thought I would. I was not surprized about the whine cause I had already read all about it. The bike handles good...you ride till you run out of fuel...not till you get tired. The wife and myself enjoys it so much. Smooth with enough power to stay ahead of the Ultra's I ride with.

The decision to purchase will have to be yours and only yours...but I do not think you will be disappointed. I would do it again. I have no regrets.

What ever you buy...you need to hang around here...there is a lot going on and you will learn a lot.

I'm extremely interested in buying a Venture as well. Years ago I had a 96 Royal Star that I wish I would have kept. I had a set of four by four pipes on it that sounded better than all the Harleys I had. Of course, I never heard a whine on that bike, but I did read where others had.

Years later now, and one thing I ran across here was a post by a current Venture owner who installed the V-Max differential and noted that he no longer had a whine.

I don't know how many of you guys have changed out those differentials (I did on my 96 and it really made a huge difference in power characteristics) and if so, what kind of effect did it have on these whine/scream issues? I also had a V-Max after the 96' RS and I never once had an issue with the whine. There were other issues like holding on for dear life, but that's another story.

MPK yamaha has test irdes at most major rallies and a few smaller one. the venture and royal star is the best bike i have ever owned, won't buy any other touring bike. had an older model wing and liked it a lot, but just didn't like the newer models. my boss had a bmw k1200 touring and he loved it and did a lot of long rides on it. a couple of months ago he traded it in on a bmw dual sport, he wants to make a trip to alaska this year. i have been around bike for more than 40 years and never want a harley, they do make a better bike these days, but too much $s. but like most has said, try all of them and see which FITS you and your riding style, don.

Thanks for all of the input, it definitely helps!

If I could test drive the RSV, the decision would be much easier. Unfortunately, the dealer is using the insurance angle to avoid allowing a test drive, even if the paperwork for the sale is all filled out and only needs a final signature. But, to be fair, I have checked other unrelated dealers in Tucson, as well as Phoenix, and have been given the same response. The exceptions are BMW and Victory, but they use designated Demo bikes, not necessarily the specific bike being purchased. I will check some more to see if any have used machines that I can try out. The dealer I am talking with doesn't currently have a used one.

If the gear noise is the same across shaft drive Yamaha's, especially the Venture family, then it probably wouldn't bother me. I put a lot of in-town and cross-country miles on my '80 XS1100 and my father's '83 Venture Royale and don't remember any bothersome noise.

The bike I get will likely see 15K - 20K per year commuting (70 - 80 miles round trip to work) and of course the really enjoyable vacation trips across country (including multiple high mileage days), so it needs to be a good all round bike.

The posts I've seen indicate that it will accomplish this, but it's always nice to get the feedback.

Thanks again for the fast replies!

I had a V*1100 prior to going to an RSTD (which I totalled :crying:) The V* had the whine too, so when I first road the RSTD I just thought it normal. Bought a 2003 RSV with 9K miles in 2/06, now have 51K miles on it. I wear headset and listen to music, so i don't hear any noises. I love my bike and its accelleration and comfort. In 2010 I will be looking for a new bike. I'm really hoping Yamaha has an updated Venture by then. If not I plan to compare the new Kawasaki Voyager, HD Ultra Classic, Goldwing, Victory Vision, but I really hope I get a Yamaha.

Good Luck...Remember what ever you get you have to post some pictures for us to see.

The Venture is a nice ride, but like all bikes it has it's drawbacks. I owned 3 a 99, 03 and my last one was a 07. My 99 and 03 both had the whine when new but you could live with it. After about 7K miles on those bikes the whine became bad to the piont that I installed other mufflers and then I did not hear the whine. The whine will usually only accure at a certain speed and rpm. If it happens to be 47 mph in 3rd then don't run her in 3rd at 47 mph.

My 07 was very nice, no whine and when I traded for the Ultra it had 9K miles on the speedo and still no whine. Yamaha will try and fix any problem you have and the bike has the 5 year warranty.

You can save some big $$$ by buying a used bike. You still get the remander of the 5 year warranty and there are many used Ventures for sale now as well as other brands because of the economy.

Get what ever makes you happy, your the one who's going to be going down the road on her.

Happy hunting.

I've never had a BAD whine on my '99. It has a bit but nothing I can't live with. I did install the VMAX rear end a couple of years ago. It is a great change in my opinion but did not affect the whine at all. I think all it would do is change the speed at which you hear it as you will be running higher RPMS at any given speed.