IGNORED

With a heavy heart....

Squidley

If Brad sells his bike and needs something to ride in the Spring I know where there's a real nice 1st gen he can borrow anytime. All he has to do is say so.......it would be there.

Sorry buddy, but it's better than nothing. I can't let you have my 2nd gen, Sue would kill me.......

Hope things get better for you soon.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brad, is one of my very favorite people. he gives , and gives , and will never accept help from anyone. guess that is why i think the world of brad, and lonna too. i ain't gonna leave my buddy hangin cuz i know he would'nt ever leave any of us hangin. brad, just don't do nothing rash. you got alot of folks out here that want to give back cuz we love you and lonna. you did'nt get all those awards being a person that does'nt care about other people. you motivated me to care about the other members on here that needed help and i haven't forgot it. so don't give us any crap if we want to give you something back. so there your are my friend. snarley bill :rasberry: :2133:

It is amazing how the world can look like it's going to hell in a handbasket, but it doesn't seem that way when we are here. I know I have commented a few times on this thread, and I really want to say this.

PLEASE dont worry about us having a bike, I WILL have another bike come next spring. It might not be brand new, but we will ride, it's not something that I can do without. I can do without a brand new one. I also want to say that I didn't want for folks to think we are at the bottom, we aren't, and we aren't broke. If you folks could only see the others that have talked with me and sent best wishes...it's humbling.

I accept responsibility for all my actions, and buying a new bike comes with it's pitfalls. In July with half of my riding season gone I needed a bike, and said to hell with it, I'll buy a new one. It is the 1st brand new vehicle I have ever purchased, and I was very excited to do it, I was also apprehensive. There is no guarantee that my bike will sell, so we might be jumping the gun a bit. But I thank everyone of you that feels I contribute here, I try to lead by example, and thats what I will do here with this situation.

I mentioned it to Jay in an earlier post, I wont accept anything from the group. I'm not saying that to be smug, it's just my nature, and there are many more people in dire need of help than Lonna or myself. I will live my life by example, and hope that it inspires others to do the same. I dont have words to express how I feel about this place...it is a drug that even when I think I want to walk away....I can't.

I hope you folks here look at eachother and realise that all of us inspire eachother. To be the best that we can be, or to champion worthy causes. Don created this site years ago, and I can tell you 1st hand that he is absolutely amazed at what it has turned into. You folks inspire me, to do the right things, and help as much as I can to my fellow man that may be down. If you want to know your early Christmas present from me....look at the people on this site, they are the gift.

Thank you all again, just help me find someone to buy my bike :whistling:

Just know this my dear friend, if you need anything, we are here for you and Lonna, just as you have been for so many others.......Im glad things arent as dire as I imagined, just dont be afraid to ask for help, cause you know its here if you need it......

Lewis

It is amazing how the world can look like it's going to hell in a handbasket, but it doesn't seem that way when we are here. I know I have commented a few times on this thread, and I really want to say this.

PLEASE dont worry about us having a bike, I WILL have another bike come next spring. It might not be brand new, but we will ride, it's not something that I can do without. I can do without a brand new one. I also want to say that I didn't want for folks to think we are at the bottom, we aren't, and we aren't broke. If you folks could only see the others that have talked with me and sent best wishes...it's humbling.

I accept responsibility for all my actions, and buying a new bike comes with it's pitfalls. In July with half of my riding season gone I needed a bike, and said to hell with it, I'll buy a new one. It is the 1st brand new vehicle I have ever purchased, and I was very excited to do it, I was also apprehensive. There is no guarantee that my bike will sell, so we might be jumping the gun a bit. But I thank everyone of you that feels I contribute here, I try to lead by example, and thats what I will do here with this situation.

I mentioned it to Jay in an earlier post, I wont accept anything from the group. I'm not saying that to be smug, it's just my nature, and there are many more people in dire need of help than Lonna or myself. I will live my life by example, and hope that it inspires others to do the same. I dont have words to express how I feel about this place...it is a drug that even when I think I want to walk away....I can't.

I hope you folks here look at eachother and realise that all of us inspire eachother. To be the best that we can be, or to champion worthy causes. Don created this site years ago, and I can tell you 1st hand that he is absolutely amazed at what it has turned into. You folks inspire me, to do the right things, and help as much as I can to my fellow man that may be down. If you want to know your early Christmas present from me....look at the people on this site, they are the gift.

Thank you all again, just help me find someone to buy my bike :whistling:

Brad,

Got into this late 'cause I was doing my PGR thing. And OK, you won't take handouts or whatever but by golly if you do sell your scoot and even remotely think you might want to have something ride now and then, you are more than welcome to come get my '86 1st Gen and ride it all you want or until you get another scoot. I recently acquired another scoot and I can't see myself going down the road with a foot on each saddle, like the movies:rotf:, so you are more than welcome to it :happy34:.

I'm proud to be part of this family. Reading these pages gives me a safe feeling that kindness is not dead. It's a Christmas gift from and to everyone of us! Hey,Brad, thanks for posting, as it has brought out the good side of us in droves (whatever a drove is).

Take care of yourself and my little girlfriend, have a merry Christmas, and rest easy knowing we'll catch you if you fall.

Brandy

Brad, you are a wise man planning for the future. You are right about riding, it doesn't matter if it is a new bike, the feeling is the same when you are on it.

I do agree with the other threads that we should set up a donation account. If not specifically for you then money will be accumulated for another time or person that Don and yourselves (Moderators) agree could use the help.

Dave

Brad, you are a wise man planning for the future. You are right about riding, it doesn't matter if it is a new bike, the feeling is the same when you are on it.

I do agree with the other threads that we should set up a donation account. If not specifically for you then money will be accumulated for another time or person that Don and yourselves (Moderators) agree could use the help.

Dave

Dave,

There are quite a few donation accounts here on the site. Cerberus (Black owl of old) manages one for the OPE (Out of pocket) fund. Folks can also donate to the site for upgrade costs, to Freebird. I'm on the fence about what I believe your describing, I will always help out a brother in need if I can. But another account would mean someone else to monitor it and accept donations. Were getting ready for another St. Judes fundraising season and I'll be taking funds for that. It's hard to do all of this on a volunteer basis with an internet forum.

Dont take what I have said wrong, your heart is in the right spot. But it's hard to defend an account like that when not everyone is going to agree on who or what the monies would go to.

Dave

good luck with that one...:whistling:...as i have tried to get this idea put together a couple times...the most recent time I made a suggestion to do this as a memorial fund named for Dons grandson who passed recently. It wasnt openly brought up on the site, but mentioned behind the scenes.

My idea was to have a fund setup with members making donations in memory of someone or just to donate. Have 4 or so members on the board, if you will, that make the decisions as to who needs to have some of the moneys given to them to help out when times are tough or they are going thru a financial crisis, etc.

The major problem with things like this is that its the same people who always donate ( to all our donation drives)and i think some people start to get tired of giving, giving, giving. We need to get more people to open their hearts now and then. We all know sometimes thats hard tho as there are many here who just dont have the finances to help out. But every dollar adds up..........and to all those who have given so many times from their hearts..I applaud you for your selfless giving!!:happy65::happy65:

I work in a power plant that is owned by GM as we supply steam and compressed air to their several facilities on this square mile property. We all know what is happening with the big 3 and this is no room for debate, but if GM goes under, so does my job even though I work for Detroit Edison. I am just doing a bit of pre damage control as I dont see the economy getting better. Lonna and I have weathered a lot of storms together, I'm just preparing myself for the worst and hoping for the best.

Brad,

I understand your thinking and can't say I wouldn't do similarly, were I in your place; good luck in selling the bike.

If I may ask..How much power (electricity) does this plant produce and what is the fuel source? My thought is that even if GM activity is severely curtailed in that location, power to the grid is power to the grid, whether GM is using or not. The power infrastructure (especially in the north) is bumping supply limitations all the time, and to arbitrarily shut down a power producing plant because the original client has scaled back ops, to me doesn't make very good sense.

If the plant has been there a long time, then the option of keeping it generating revenue is good for the books (provided the cost to keep it running isn't outrageous). You also said the plant is owned by GM, but I assume operated under some sort of lease arrangement by Detroit Edison (since you work for them). That would tend to lend credence to my thoughts above regarding continued operations . It also makes me wonder if Detroit Edison wouldn't simply buy the facility if GM curtailed ops there. Another thought...IF GM ceased ops there..and no other entity want the GM facilities; your plant would have considerable excess steam capacity, possibly enough to run another turbine/ generator. (Another potential reason for Detroit Ed to buy & operate it, or any of a number of electrical power brokers/conglomerates, who buy and operate smaller plants and sell power to the local utilities. Even in that scenario, it would still be kept running while the transition was going on)

Now I admit, part of my reason for a little creative speculating is to put a positive spin on the possibilities for you there. Of course, if you have been told that if "this" happens, then "that" will happen and you're history....then all my optimistic commentary is for naught!!!

Will GM go under? I doubt it very much. They may undergo Chapter 11, but that will let them reorganize while continuing operations. Possibly merge with Chrysler? Again, they don't have to stop to do it. They might streamline, but they won't stop. If they get the bailout, they still have to streamline, trim some in their ops, but they still keep going in some form. For what it's worth, Brad..

Just me thinkin out loud..

Brad I havent been on the site on a regular basis due to one thing or another so this news comes a little late but just as sad. I have no doupt in my mind that you you will find something and will ride again. I also know you wont leave this site 2 whls or not because you are are a main part of this see at maint Day :thumbsup:

Like you said, things will get better down the line. With GM, anything is possible, so hope it all goes for the good. Several people in my family have lost their jobs including my wife, so my part time job just turned into a full time job, only problem now is I've got a bad cold and can't work so I don't get paid, it's a retirement job with no benifits.

But as far as the Venture West gang is concerned, we all hope the best for you getting a new ride. We all enjoyed you and Lonna coming all the way out this way to see how the other half of the country lived. But if you ever dicide to do it again, it might have to be on a 2nd gen again as a first gen might not make it that far, (just kiddin) you know I had a brand new one for 16 years and I still think it was the best touring bike ever made.

So hang in there and we'll say a prayer for you and Lonna, it's already gotten worse, so it's got to get better from here, right! :thumbsup2:

i thank god everyday that i was one of the lucky ones that lived in the best of all times. i had a great life with several ultra major downs that took me to my knees. the main man got me through them. now i am flying high and just live for tomorrow. i don't worry about the future anymore, just getting out of bed for another great day is enough for me. my doctor just can't figure my logic. i told him you will when you get to be my age. had my fun and it was a great ride. don't worry about the end of the line. when it comes, be it tomorrow or next year. i'm ready. my philosophy is, make the best of every minute of your life. you only get one shot at it. bill :)

Steve,

Very good insight on your part and it's going to be a crap shoot at best. In 1985 GM built this new boiler (there were/are 8 smaller boilers that were converted to natural gas in the 80's for their steam load) # 9 as we call it is a coal fired CFB (circulating fluidized bed) unit that will produce 300,000 lbs of steam an hour. The Generator is a GE 28 mega watt unit with a small turbine. Deal is, half of the steamload is used for extraction and sent to the surrounding facilities for heat. This cuts down on our ability to generate maximum mega watts. It also cuts our summer output to crank up the juice.

Hard saying what will happen, if the big 3 go under, a job wont be my only worry. So I'm really not too concerned as I will just pack up and leave Michigan if I loose my job. They can deal with the house, but I wont stay here thats for sure. We'll see what happens and go from there, I would just like a few less bills in case I have to get out of here fast. I'll just take it 1 day at a time and hope that the man upstairs doesn't have me jumping through hoops to learn another lesson :whistling:

...and for all you others :stickpoke: Thank you for thinking of us, I can't tell you how nice it is to know that there are folks out there pulling for us. Oh and Rich....you might just see us in Wyoming with any luck :happy34:

Steve,

Very good insight on your part and it's going to be a crap shoot at best. In 1985 GM built this new boiler (there were/are 8 smaller boilers that were converted to natural gas in the 80's for their steam load) # 9 as we call it is a coal fired CFB (circulating fluidized bed) unit that will produce 300,000 lbs of steam an hour. The Generator is a GE 28 mega watt unit with a small turbine. Deal is, half of the steamload is used for extraction and sent to the surrounding facilities for heat. This cuts down on our ability to generate maximum mega watts. It also cuts our summer output to crank up the juice.

Hard saying what will happen, if the big 3 go under, a job wont be my only worry. So I'm really not too concerned as I will just pack up and leave Michigan if I loose my job. They can deal with the house, but I wont stay here thats for sure. We'll see what happens and go from there, I would just like a few less bills in case I have to get out of here fast. I'll just take it 1 day at a time and hope that the man upstairs doesn't have me jumping through hoops to learn another lesson :whistling:

...and for all you others :stickpoke: Thank you for thinking of us, I can't tell you how nice it is to know that there are folks out there pulling for us. Oh and Rich....you might just see us in Wyoming with any luck :happy34:

Brad, I really believe that they will get a bail out.

If they don't me and Ruth will join you on the migration West....:p

It's not the ride, it's the companionship.

I certainly can't fault you for wanting to take a cautious path. It's a lot easier facing tough economic times with no extra bills. Shame it's the bike, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Now, if you guys quit Meeting and Eating, well, that'll indicate a real problem.

...and for all you others :stickpoke: Thank you for thinking of us, I can't tell you how nice it is to know that there are folks out there pulling for us. Oh and Rich....you might just see us in Wyoming with any luck :happy34: you won't have to go just west to see all your friends, you'll have four different directions to go then. But you get that close, and I'll probably be one of many friends that will come and visit once and a while. Praying that everything from here on will get you back on track, take care.

Rich :mustache:

hi brad

i have waited for a short time to say anything. i'am sad about the fact you are going to sell the bike. but as we all know a person got to do what is best for them. i hope all goes well and you won't have to sell the bike. it seems like just yesterday when i meet you and lonna. with ya'lls visit and the surprise meet & greet, i am bleesed to have become involved in this great site and to have become friends with so many venture riders, on both sides of the border. i have always said a man/ woman is lucky to be abile to count his/hers ture friends on the fingures on both hands. but you and lonna

have 100's of friends and i am humbled and proud to feel i am one of them. you are rich beyond you wildrest dreams.

best rerguards

don c.