IGNORED

Going in a different direction

Guest BluesLover

Guest BluesLover

So ... I had a wreck with the 06 RSV a couple of weeks back, and the insurance company is writing off the bike. I loved that 06 - both Vicki and I just said "gotta have it" when we saw the colour, and actually ordered it before we had seen it live and in person.

Yesterday, after finally seeing the state of the bike after the crash, we said good bye to that beauty. We hummed and hawed about how to go about replacing it. Should we go with another 06, replace all the extras we had added to it? Should we look at an 09 or maybe even an 08 that was still sitting on a showroom floor? Or should we try something different?

So, last night, after much soul searching, we decided to go in a different direction. we both came to the realization that we're not "used bike/car" kind of people, so buying a used 06 just wasn't going to work. And, to be honest and with no disrespect to owners of other colours, the newer colours on the RSV really didn't do it for us. And to top it off, the pricing on the 09 RSVs (up here in Canada anyway) is starting to get up there - at over $22K for one that is "nude".

So, we are going to give the HD thing a go. I rode an Ultra Classic on Saturday at a local demo days event and was surprised at how "nimble" it was a slower speeds, relative to the RSV. The shaking and vibration while idling, the different positioning of the heel/toe shifter and the funky turn signals will obviously take some getting used to. Vicki sat on the back and there is lots of space for her on it, so it passed her "comfort test" - at least for now. We put a deposit on one last night - I was surprised at how close the pricing was for it versus the 09 RSV's - and will be picking it up hopefully next week, just in time to trailer it to Florida for the last couple of solid weeks of riding (for me) this year.

I won't be leaving this forum - at least not until you guys throw me out. The RSV is near and dear to my heart and I have met all kinds of great people here and there are still many more to actually meet. And, besides, our reservations are still made for The Hub next year!

Cheers,

P.S. Picture of Vicki with the bike that we bought and one of a similar bike in someone else's showroom. It is an 09 ElectraGlide Ultra Classic in Black Pearl (with a silver pinstriping throughout). No extra "bling" on it, other than the ABS feature, but it comes with AM/FM/CD, intercom, CB, cruise, front fender rail, rear saddlebag rails and other "stuff". Yes, I know ... it is still air cooled ...

I won't be leaving this forum - at least not until you guys throw me out. The RSV is near and dear to my heart and I have met all kinds of great people here and there are still many more to actually meet. And, besides, our reservations are still made for The Hub next year!

Does this mean You will still wave to us on the road ?:lightbulb:

Lou,Congrats on the New Bike.Ive said it before they are great bikes and handle superbly! You WILL enjoy it...I know where you can go to break it in......BUT I guess you will have to wait till next year,but trust me,we here in the SOUTH will give you guys updates on our beautiful riding weather thru the winter! Tom

Just looking at the second picture and noticed... Is that a huge oil puddle on the floor under the bike? :confused24: :stickpoke: :whistling: :yikes: :sign20:

I thought the same thing...:whistling:

Was going to post the same thought, but heck, you beat me to it...:rotf:

Congratulations on the beautiful new bike. I know exactly how you feel about the 06 RSV. I had a black cherry 06 also. But after losing two of them (99 & 06) I was ready for a change. I was headed that way before I got the Goldwing. I just wasn't as comfortable on the Ultra. As for the "oil" I think that's the whatever they have under the sidestand.

As for leaving this site, I'll tell you what I've just been told.....NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !! At least you're staying with two wheels. I'm going to 4 for a time. Again, best of luck with your new ride......and enjoy !!!!!!!

Guest BluesLover
Just looking at the second picture and noticed... Is that a huge oil puddle on the floor under the bike? :confused24: :stickpoke: :whistling: :yikes: :sign20:

Hope you have many miles of smiles on the bike!!

LOL - I wondered how many would catch that? I believe that was some smart work by Trev Deeley Motorcycles, to make the kickstand plates look like oil puddles!!! :crackup:

Cheers,

Guest BluesLover
Your going to have a serious problem.

Way to many chrome accessories available for that bike. Start with the Kuri passenger foot pegs. Keeps my wife happy to have her own highway pegs.

Congratulations.

www.touringhogs.com

Thanks Rick - I can relate to the chrome accessories comment - they handed me an 820 page catalogue as I was walking out of the showroom last night. And ... in a couple of weeks, we'll be visiting Destination Daytona too ... :mo money:

Cheers,

P.S. Thanks for the link to the touring hogs forum too! Have registered.

let us know how much heat radiates, from the Rear Pipe, onto the Passenger's right leg.

Also, keep a close eye on the Rear Shocks, my brother in laws, shocks started leaking on his, in the first 5000 miles. ( dealer did pay for replacement. )

He also had to install some aftermarket Oil Cooling equipment. Which lowered the OIL Temp by about 60 deg F.

Just a few heads up, items.

Nice bike Lou. I think you will like it just a little. Cant wait to see it at the Hub next year.

Man oh man, mamma yamma better pay attention pretty soon. They are loosing more and more riders because of their refusal to get modern. Every other make is now with the times for the most part and yammi changes its colors only. Its a shame.

More people will lose their need and love for the v4 over the other stuff other makers have. ABS, CD, Fuel Injection to name three.

Thanks Rick - I can relate to the chrome accessories comment - they handed me an 820 page catalogue as I was walking out of the showroom last night. And ... in a couple of weeks, we'll be visiting Destination Daytona too ... :mo money:

Cheers,

P.S. Thanks for the link to the touring hogs forum too! Have registered.

and to make matters worse, you will get a new catalogue in the mail every year with the latest and greatest pieces and parts to add. Mine is still almos stock, well except for the Chrome flames derby cover, timer cover and aircleaner cover. Oh and the windshield trim and foot rest trim, and mp3 player and saddlebag cooler and and and and and and and and...

Guest Saddletramp

Don't feel too guilty, I'm planning on testing one at the Americade this coming summer just to see what they truly are. I presently own an '06 midnight and am happy with it but still am curious as to what else is out there. As far as owner's groups go I understand that HOG is a nice group of people.

So, we are going to give the HD thing a go. I rode an Ultra Classic on Saturday at a local demo days event and was surprised at how "nimble" it was a slower speeds, relative to the RSV. The shaking and vibration while idling, the different positioning of the heel/toe shifter and the funky turn signals will obviously take some getting used to. Vicki sat on the back and there is lots of space for her on it, so it passed her "comfort test" - at least for now. We put a deposit on one last night - I was surprised at how close the pricing was for it versus the 09 RSV's - and will be picking it up hopefully next week, just in time to trailer it to Florida for the last couple of solid weeks of riding (for me) this year.

P.S. Picture of Vicki with the bike that we bought and one of a similar bike in someone else's showroom. It is an 09 ElectraGlide Ultra Classic in Black Pearl (with a silver pinstriping throughout). No extra "bling" on it, other than the ABS feature, but it comes with AM/FM/CD, intercom, CB, cruise, front fender rail, rear saddlebag rails and other "stuff". Yes, I know ... it is still air cooled ...

Nina & I did the Harley Demo days thing this past weekend and I/we rode that ultra 3 different time... we absolutely LOVE IT! Gonna wait until we can check out the Kawi Voyager before making our decision.

Enjoy the new scoot and keep us posted on how things go with it.

:thumbsup2:

Don't worry Lou about all the negatives posted,,, you know there'll be a Meet & Greet here in May and you can bring it up here so that all the mechanics can get it stuck together properly,,, might even be able to fit a V4 into that space to make things a litlle smoother.:thumbsup2::stirthepot:

Congrats on the new ride,,, hope you enjoy it as much as you planned.:happy65:

And, besides, our reservations are still made for The Hub next year!

I don't have reservations for the Hub. Its a long ways off and a long way to get there, so let me know if you change your mind.......or break down on the way there!

:178: