IGNORED

Side bags removal...

HELP!!!!!

I don't know why they made these little screws that hold the side storage "bags" to the mounts SO TIGHT!!!

Here's my problem: I wanted to remove the bags for maint. however, in the process I stripped the heads, the cavity where the tool goes in to loosen them up. Now I can't get them off. HELP!!!!!:confused24: I bought the bike used and at some point before I bought it, the previous owner had the dealer put on new tires. So, I assume the mechanic either tightened the screws too much or put that blue Loctite on them.

I had the same thing the first time. I took a pair of small water pump pliers and grab the washer and when it turned it loosened the bolt. Then the allen wrench spun them right off. There was no blue locitite on mine, just too dang tight. Maybe you can get them off that way and buy new bolts. It did mark up the washers that I had to loosen. Hope it helps.

Spotsy

Guest tx2sturgis

Just for future reference.

Those bolts are very tight, but with a bit of force they will loosen right up...IF...you use a high quality hex wrench. These are usually black hardened steel...and the ones with a large T-handle work the best. Cheapos, such as the bright shiny hex wrenches that come on a ring, or a cheap folding set, will probably strip the fastener's head.

Standard disclaimers apply:

YMMV, DTTAH, BNI, PROCC, AWAAH, KOOTROC, RNT, OAC, and oh yeah, ASR.

:thumbsup2:

I had one do that and I had to use a pair of Vise Grips to get it out. It was kinda tough to get loose but it finally gave up and came out.

I changed out the bolts in mine with a set of bolts that have knobs on the heads. Now I can take them off with my hands. If I hadn't done that I was going to put bolts in that had hex heads. They would be easier to get out than the allen screw heads. I really believe the bolts that come stock are rather soft. It seems that the heads strip out pretty easily.

Good luck.

I had the same thing happen on 2 of them. One I took off with visegrips. Then I found that a standard non-metric hex wrench fit better on the 2nd one and took it right out. I'm replacing most of these #$%^ button head screws with hex head screws that have a head you can get a grip on.

I did use a hardened T-handle because it provides more torque, it stripped them all.

I will try ALL the above solutions given and if and when I get them suckers off, I will replace them with screws that are easier to take off.

Thanks to ALL for your input!!!!:happy34:

I had the same thing happen. After a service the dealer tightened one of the bolts so much that it stripped out when I tried to remove it. I tried everthing including the easy out bit. It didn't work. I finally had to take my dremel tool with a cutting wheel and grind until I cut the head of the bolt off. I made a set of bolts where you can remove the bags by hand. There is a thread on this site that tells where you can order the bolts and make a set that can removed by hand without a wrench. I was on ebay the other day and put in a search for yamaha venture and there is someone on there that makes the bolts and you can order from them.

Those bolts are very tight, but with a bit of force they will loosen right up...IF...you use a high quality hex wrench. These are usually black hardened steel...and the ones with a large T-handle work the best. Cheapos, such as the bright shiny hex wrenches that come on a ring, or a cheap folding set, will probably strip the fastener's head.

+1. The tool that you use makes a lot of difference. I have a set of hex end sockets that fits on my regular socket wrench from Craftsman. They also work the best. Make sure that the hex end is all the way down the bolt before turning with force.

I did use a hardened T-handle because it provides more torque, it stripped them all.

I will try ALL the above solutions given and if and when I get them suckers off, I will replace them with screws that are easier to take off.

Thanks to ALL for your input!!!!:happy34:

You did use a metric wrench?

Wild Thing,

Drill the heads off the bolts and they will come out easily. Then buy the set of saddlebag quick fasteners on ebay.

Then you won't have these problems ever again. But also put some anti sieze paste on the bolt ends before you put the fasteners in.

Rick

Wild Thing, heres the Ebay link for the saddlebag holddowns. Well worth the money and I recieved them in 3 days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-ROYAL-STAR-VENTURE-SADDLEBAG-QUICK-FASTENERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ84147QQihZ013QQitemZ230300465699QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I dont think that he is still selling cause i just looked and cant seem to ba able to purchase them. I thought i read the he was a member here on this sight. If so maybe somone will chime in and give some info on purchasing.

Try getting a torx bit slightly larger then the size of the socket hole of the allen bolt , tap it in with a small hammer it will create its own spline then wind it out. I find torx bits work better than most easy outs and I use them for this purpose all the time. plus u can use a wrench or socket to turn them.:thumbsup:

I purchased a set of metric thumb screw knobs for M6 SHCS from a company 'Lawson Product's' Pt. #52776 they come in a pack of ten at $0.74 each. I manage a tooling department so the SHCS were readily available. Changed my Leatherlyke bags over the quick removal for less than $10.00. No longer have to worry about stripping small allen head screws.

I avoided this thread just cause I was too lazy to type in a bunch of stuff that I thought was obvious, but after finally reading everything, I thought I should jump in.

First, as most of you know, those bolts "stick" easily - even when not really tightened a lot, they seem to be very hard to pop loose after a few weeks. But after they initial 'pop', they spin right out. I am not sure what causes this, but I learned a long time ago that they only need a gently snug when putting the bags back on, and they will never come loose. That is pretty strange when compared to all the other bolts on these bikes that have a hard time staying on, but it has been a fact on both of my RSVs, my brother's RSV, and all the ones I have personally worked on.

I have had my bags off too many times to count with all the tire changes and lighting mods, and I have NEVER stripped the head on any of them. I generally use a T-handle hex wrench ($9 for the whole set at Harbor Freight) that gives me plenty of torque and allows me to spin the bolts in and out much quicker than other options. My dealer DID strip one for me, which I found out when I tried to take it off after I got the bike back from some warranty work on a rear oil leak. The solution for me was absolutely simple: I just took my small die-grinder (any rotary tool will work) and cut a notch across the head so I could put a big common screwdriver in it and remove the bolt. I have also done this for several other guys with the same problem.

If you don't have a rotary tool to do this, but you do have a set of socked-drive hex wrenches, there is one other trick that sometimes works - just take the correct socket-drive hex wrench and put in the stripped head, then give it a couple of decent whacks with a hammer. Now put the ratchet on there and see if the screw comes loose. This usually works by forcing the wrench deeper into the undamaged part of the screw head, and the shocks from the hammer also tend to loosen the screw stiction.

I prefer the stock screws instead of something larger, but they aren't very hard metal. If you have repeated problems with stripped heads, you need to get a better wrench. Another option is to buy new button-head bolts from a place like Ace Hardware - they will probably be much harder. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I own a 2006 Roadie and hope to own a wonderful bike like yours one day. I enquired to an ebay ad a while back concerning saddle bag bolts that were made for Ventures and wondered if these guys could make me a set for the roadie. He quoted me a price of $25.00 for the set and makes them out of a harder bolt than Yamaha produces and comes with a cold rolled knob for the head so you don`t need a tool to remove them. The addres was:R-Mark, C/O Mark Hillis, 105 Marwood Drive, Lancaster, Ohio, 40444. His e-mail address is hillis73@aol.com. Hope this is a help to you all.

WHAT is all this at the bottom ? Am I that dumb ?

BREEZE :8: