IGNORED

posting ettiquete question?

baylensman

So I am or was a member of another site. This site has to do with a particular car Marque. Now In my bio on the site it lists my experience (over 35 years in the classic car biz) and the vehicle i own as it pertains to the site as well as a list of vehicles i currently own in my sig. Some rather TALL claims were being made by some folks about 1/4 ets being obtained with that particular car in its stock form. I reread the bio and sigs from some of the posters, I asked a rather straight forward question about what was considered stock? I also posted quotes from several magazine articles testing the vehicle and the resultant 1/4 mile times.

Several of those poster in question came forward and confirmed what I thought their term STOCK meant only that the bottom end of the motor hadn't as yet been rebuilt. Intake ignition ram air turbo superchargers were used to get these times. AHA. Except one poster, who took an entire paragraph to belittle my IQ my experience my car , my family my dog and anything else he could thing of because of my "stupid" questions.

I opened a new post. listing what I thought was stock and what was obtainable as far as performance under that condition, and broke it down as to what could be expected for each step away from "STOCK' Again several helpful posts and honest discussions. Then the same guy who rained on my last post did the same thing again. Calling to question my IQ and upbringing ect.

I did complain to the forum admin. I got a "basically its not our problem if he doesn't threaten you" answer. I responded I would like to be removed from the roles of this site. The response was "we don't/won't do that"...My final response was if you don't remove me and and any reference to my email address from your site and I hear from this bozo again you'll hear from an attorney. Well the next time I went by, the post chains were both gone and I was not able to log in.

The question is did i go to far! How much should one expect to put up with when reading responses to a post. Perhaps this one guy would ruin any forum he belonged to?

I had a similar issue with a trailer sailor site, regarding wheel bearings. I posted a lesson I learned from a bearing buddy spokesperson and got back responses ridiculing my post. And, the people who got on my case were constantly having bearings burn out on their boat trailers. Needless to say, i complained and received similar responses liie you did. I left the site... Never been back.

I think you responded appropriately and took proper and positive action. And I agree.. That poster probably would ruin any site.

I'm grateful VR.org people I've met here are good people!!

Side note. Been ten years since i posted the lesson I learned. My bearings are still running wonderfully cool, after two cross country trips to New England, sitting in snow for five months and running through lots of desert heat. Same bearings. 2.5 ton boat and trailer. Haven't touched them since that lesson. Just got back from weekend at lake yesterday. Bearings ran cool... 100 mile round-trip.

I gotta think the bearing buddy lady was right and the trailer site experts were dead wrong.

The lesson I learned once was I forgot it was the World Wide Web. {Well almost} It can be a tick off when someone rains on your parade for no particular reason. Sounds to me you handled it with class. A quick search will give 1/4 mile times on about anything that runs. I was always led to believe that stock was just like it came from the factory. No additions.:no-no-no: On another note I once rode my Kaw 750 so fast time stood still. :biker::rotfl::banana:

Well, to answer your question, are you throwing out the baby with the bath water? There are idiots wherever you go and whatever you do. I've pretty much learned to be thick-skinned, but yes sometimes things gall me!

As far as stock goes, it has always been whatever was available for that particular car for the year of manufacture, but it can be a little tricky there. So, say you bought a 1967 Mustang with a 6 banger in it. You pull the engine and put a 302 in it. Well, in '67 there was only the 289 available, but you could buy oversize pistons and bore it out to a 302, so I would suppose technically it is still "stock" but if you are a purist then it isn't stock and you can take it further and say that "stock" is exactly the way it rolled off the assembly line and even swapping in a certified "67 manufacture 289 would make it no longer stock...

well I had a 67 mustang with 289. Changed the valve angle in the heads. Took the lifters apart and filled them with the heaviest grease I could find. Rigged up a oiler line for rockers. Put a high rise and double pumper on it. It would hold 8 grand till race started. After that had to look out side windows and down to see where you were. Just had a h pipe for exhaust. What I call stock is in non molested state maybe timing set up 2 degrees. Sorry this may be off topic. but there are a few out there set in there ways or only there way is possible. block them

I like how ADVRider does it. They allow you to put an irritating poster on 'ignore'. Therefore, their posts do not show up on any thread you are viewing. I believe you can also block their PM attempts.

RR

You can do that here also. You just go to "settings" then "edit ignore list".

Or click on their name from one of their posts. Click "view profile". Under their profile picture, click "add to ignore list".

The lesson I learned once was I forgot it was the World Wide Web. {Well almost} It can be a tick off when someone rains on your parade for no particular reason. Sounds to me you handled it with class. A quick search will give 1/4 mile times on about anything that runs. I was always led to believe that stock was just like it came from the factory. No additions.:no-no-no: On another note I once rode my Kaw 750 so fast time stood still. :biker::rotfl::banana:

I once rode my 1st gen so fast the earth's rotation reversed....... But only for a short period.

You can do that here also. You just go to "settings" then "edit ignore list".

Or click on their name from one of their posts. Click "view profile". Under their profile picture, click "add to ignore list".

I never knew that about VR. But then again, I never found the desire to put anyone on ignore here. Pretty good group of folks.

RR

And I once saw 110 MPH in 3rd gear on a 84 Venture!!! :backinmyday: That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!:backinmyday::Avatars_Gee_George::mugshot:

Ummm Isn't max speed in third gear supposed to be 80:Avatars_Gee_George:. I don't believe it no way you got up to that,:dancefool: would you believe a second gear pass at 75:smile5:, I guess the better question is HOW!!! This is my story and sticking to it because I believe they put red on the TACH for a reason.:Bunny2:

Ummm Isn't max speed in third gear supposed to be 80:Avatars_Gee_George:. I don't believe it no way you got up to that,:dancefool: would you believe a second gear pass at 75:smile5:, I guess the better question is HOW!!! This is my story and sticking to it because I believe they put red on the TACH for a reason.:Bunny2:
No, actually, the official factory spec is 93 or 96, can't remember which...

Dont tell Carbon One but I was so excited about actually owning a MK1 with a working second gear that I just HAD to spin up his old bike and see what she'ld do in second.. Creeped real close to 80 before grabbin third = MAN that felt good :big-grin-emoticon:.. Suckers will spin up if ya let em!!

Speaking of spinning em up,, any of you lop eared varmints ever spin up an R1? Never owned one (still on my bucket list) but rode a buddies,, told me to pin it in 1st gear and hang on - tap it out to the rev limiter and check my speed = 103 IN FIRST GEAR :guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:

Dont tell Carbon One but I was so excited about actually owning a MK1 with a working second gear that I just HAD to spin up his old bike and see what she'ld do in second.. Creeped real close to 80 before grabbin third = MAN that felt good :big-grin-emoticon:.. Suckers will spin up if ya let em!!

Speaking of spinning em up,, any of you lop eared varmints ever spin up an R1? Never owned one (still on my bucket list) but rode a buddies,, told me to pin it in 1st gear and hang on - tap it out to the rev limiter and check my speed = 103 IN FIRST GEAR :guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:

Now I'm gonna have to ride one!!!:bang head::bang head::Avatars_Gee_George: