IGNORED

Hanging fuel cell for Garage ceiling

Hello All, Quick question and background. Son rides a valkyrie. We just went thru all 6 carbs and reinstalled... REAL pita to reinstall airbox runners onto top of carbs. We reinstalled and cranked up and have a low idle issues that we believe to be an air leak, further investigation tomorrow. Now for the question, one of his forum buddies we visited had a fuel "bag/cell" hanging from the ceiling with a hose and pinch clamp to run bike without the tank on... Great idea huh. Have any of you made one and if so, out of what with what??? Wanting to make one tomorrow that I will use also on RSV when finished. (torn apart now) Give me ideas... hose, check, clamp, check, bottle.... woops. I need a fuel resistant IV bag! Ideas anyone?:think::think: thanks for the help, James:biker::biker:

While not a complete answer here is what I did when my tank for my pressure washer got to leaking and they wanted $40 or something for a tank. I got a 1 gal red fule tank from local store (I used tractor supply) Home hardware store Home, Depot, Lowes, Ace Got a barbed on one end threadded plastic fitting like 3/8 thread I think. I drilled hole on lower corner area of plastic fuel can then threaded it with a tap, wraped pipe thread on it wound it in. The fitting I got I used one that had a nut for the backside, so then I stuck nut in socket and tightened it down on fitting. I supose you could use just a thread in type. Install fuel line and You can use a small pair of vise grips to shut off fuel, or one of the bigger flat type office paper clips. Make sense?

I KNEW IT... I just knew it.... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::Laugh:

Ok, so aside from enema's, douches, bongs, colostomy bags, and the like, keep the ideas coming.... hahahaa The friends setup, which I did not pay much attention to unfortunately, was similar to a 2 liter bottle upside down and surgical tubing hanging and attached to fuel line on bike...he simply stored tubing straight up on a clip on bottle hanger to shut off flow.

Thanks DJH3, yes makes sense, may end up with your idea. thanks.

Funny this thread came up, I am working on the same idea as I have a Suzuki Intruder that I need to sync the cabs on and the tank is right in the way. I'm not sure what exactly the bottle is from, but it will hold a decent amount of gas.

I wanted to be able to shut it off for disconnecting it and the 1/4" ball valve was really all I could come up with at the moment. I installed a hard rim air schrader valve up top for venting it (I'll remove the schrader once the bottle is hanging) and have it installed while filling it with fuel.

I want to find one of the roll around IV hangers, like are used in hospitals to hang it from and have it be movable easy. I have yet tried it, but thats going to happen real soon.

Freebird, good luck with finding a "universal" type gas tank. I looked for 3-4 months before I had to make my tank for the press washer. Now a days the tanks are all mad into the engine cowl. I thought the same thing, even went to local lawn mower repair joint and a replacement tank like your talking about was near $30 or so. I thought that rediculus.

On the pic of the metal can. Oops shown your age dude. They aint made metal cans like that in along time. :whistling: Nice if you can find one though. In place of the IV stand if you got one of the 3 tier lights that like stands in the corner and the lights are all sloppy like they get. Strip it down and use it as your stand. Otherwise a couple of pieces of plywood crossed at bottom, notched to fit into eachother and a 2x2 or something screwed to the base would make a temp stand. Then you could take it apart to store it. Storage is a huge issue in my garage.

Was poking fun earlier but it's not so funny now. Just the other day I hauled a brand new gas tank of a Briggs that I had been moving around for years I came across it on my cleaning spree and on the load of scrap metal it went. Would have been perfect for this already had the petcock mounted on the tank. Didn't even think about it till Don mentioned it. :buttkick:

Was poking fun earlier but it's not so funny now. Just the other day I hauled a brand new gas tank of a Briggs that I had been moving around for years I came across it on my cleaning spree and on the load of scrap metal it went. Would have been perfect for this already had the petcock mounted on the tank. Didn't even think about it till Don mentioned it. :buttkick:

DOH!!!

:doh:

These are great ideas and I think we are getting there! Cant help but believe there may be a market for these, especially at stealerships. I just wonder if the stealers already have some type of gizmo like this. We had an offroad dealership for a few years and looking back, it would have been SO handy. We did things just like everyone seems to do it now, put the tank on, take the tank off, put the tank on, etc....What a pain in the neck. Would love to come up with a 1/2 gallon permanent solution with clear bottle and accurate marking on the sides for fuel consumption... Maybe some of the VR vendors will chime in with ideas as well... I know I would buy one with reasonable $ tag. Thanks everyone for the ideas. Now to go dismantle the ole Lawn Boy mower behind the shed..... Off we go! :thumbsup2::cool10::clap2:

I was going to suggest Motion Pro but they are very proud of their hanging fuel dispensers.

I'll pass myself. I have used a long neck funnel with a ball valve attached at the bottom along with a length of hose. Gonna make up a better one similar to what Squid is doing thou.

Larry

Hey, there are some on the market. This is the "Poor Man" forum, I thought you were looking for a home solution. :)

Here are a couple of examples available on the retail market.

http://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-auxiliary-gas-tanks

Ok, so I would buy one.... maybe. Our motto has been "why pay $150 for one when you can build it yourself for $300".:crackup:Like most of you, I stand and look and say "I can build one of those" haha

So, here's what we got now, fuel tank from weedeater (about a quart), vented cap, trip to tractor supply netted 3/8" hose, misc fittings and rubber washers, etc. $12 so far. Off to the work bench....

I use a $1.00 aluminum bottle with air fittings inside there is 1/2" of unusable fuel in the can and a universal fuel filter the most expensive part is the fuel shutoff valve. I drilled a 1/8th inch hole in the lid for venting. I hang it from the ceiling in my shop or off the handle bars on the road for doing colortunes .

Jeff

I've had to work on Suzzys before , what a pain ! What I've done is hang a 1 gal. plastic gas can up and used a gas siphon bulb from Wally World . stick one end in the fill spout , the other on the carbs , squeeze bulb a couple of times . it works .

Thom

Between fiddling with this and working on sons valkyrie, this is how it is so far. I really like how clean squidley's bottle looks. May have to re-think mine. But for now, I have $4.10 in hose, fitting and rubber washer. Have a piece of copper tubing that helps going from 3/8" to 5/16" fuel hose on bottom. 5/16 seems to fit fuel line on carbs exactly. I am going to put a valve in place of this copper line. Of Course, already had bungy cord, copper tubing and old weedeater tank. Will make it more permanent soon. Hope I can get pics to load. Oh yeah, I simply drilled the tank and threaded the 3/8" pipe thread x 3/8" nipple into it with rubber washer. Holding fuel fine, no leaks. James

Ya know some wise a$$ colege kid probably has a write up with pics on how to make a killer beer bong for less than $5 on the net somewhere dont ya? Could easily be adapted for our purposes, well if ya wanted to....... :stirthepot:

Ya know some wise a$$ colege kid probably has a write up with pics on how to make a killer beer bong for less than $5 on the net somewhere dont ya? Could easily be adapted for our purposes, well if ya wanted to....... :stirthepot:

Thats easy, a large wide mouth funnel, 24" of clear 1/2" hose and a hose clamp if your worried about it coming off the funnel. About $6.95 at any autoparts store...

:whistling:

Well after giving this some thought I don't think you even need a fuel bottle. By using a small gas can, a length of hose, and a double barbed fitting you could use the bikes fuel pump to keep the carbs primed. Simply place the small gas can near the bike, dropping the hose into it and hook up the fitting to the bikes inlet hose. Once the key is turned on the fuel pump should pull fuel into the carbs.

Also if for some reason the stock fuel pump isn't working you could put a temporary fuel pump between the gas can and the bikes inlet hose.

Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Winston 66.

My solution for this problem would be simply as follows.

Two or three litre soft drink bottles aer easy to come by and cost nothing. They appear to be very resilent to gasolene.

I use them all the time when I need to make any sort of a funnel for motor oil, petrol etc , I just cut the bottom off and invert they do a great job.

For an occasional use as a fuel cell I would just drill a tight fitting hole in the cap to take the respective fuel hose , this should prove to be seepage free , if not some five minute araldite or silicone sealant will seal the hose to the top.

Then I drill a very small hole in the bottom of the bottle to act as a breather , a temporary seal can be made with a piece of masking tape as you fill it then attach the top with the fuel hose attached and with its free end crimped over with a pair of locking pliers , hang it up top down in a suitable location adjacent to where you want to use it , attach the hose to the carb. or whatever, remove the temp seal of tape from the breather release the locking pliers and away you go.

To monitor the fuel usage / consumption I just weigh the devise before and after, the difference will tell you close enough the amount of fuel used , In grams if a metric kitchen scale is used.

Hope this suggestion works for you,

Cheers ,

Winston 66,

Northampton, Western Australia :322::fingers-crossed-emo