IGNORED

I'm getting a new knee tomorrow

Midrsv

I'll be off to the hospital early tomorrow for a total knee replacement. After dealing with knee pain for the past 8 to 10 years I'm looking forward to getting this done. Not looking forward to the rehab but at least it will be done in the winter and shouldn't impact my riding much.

Glad they've got wifi in the hospital.

Dennis

Good Luck with re-hab, it'll not be fun for a while but you'll get thru it and you WILL be happy.

btw - WiFi in the hospital is going to be at the bottom of your priority list. Percoset, cathater, and shoot the one that thought getting in and out of a car was a good idea. Please correct me if I'm wrong :scratchchin:

Good luck with the knee. Unlike in the past, knee surgeries are extremely common. The KEY for helping speeding up your recovery is to do the physical therapy. I work on knees all the time. Going to take some time for swelling and over all a knee can take 6-12 months of total pain free, which intensity diminishes accordingly. Take your pain meds BEFORE (45-60 min ) you start therapy. ICE the knee afterwards. Hopefully you get an assertive therapist. Those are the ones you can not stand during, but love after you walk out. Contact me if you have any questions.

Here is to wishing you a withstanding pain level you can handle and a full recovery...........

When you think the pain is just to much and unbearable... just think of my wife ...

she had both knees replaced at the same time....

Wish you the best my friend!! :thumbsup2:

Eck

Eck, I've heard from patients that had both done, and from therapists too that having them both at once is the way to go. It also looks like the rehab is a lot more intense for a knee than it was for my hip, or even my back. I did all my hip P/T at home because of an insurance snafu, back to work in 3 months with nary a problem.

Everything seemed to go well with the surgery. Although it took me 3 hrs to get out of recovery. The pain overnight wasn't too bad and I was able to rest well. After breakfast this morning they will start my therapy and have me walk a bit.

What fun!

Dennis

Take a deep breath and go for it. It's not gonna be easy but the end results will make ya happy. Glad the surgery went well for ya. Jeff's suregery last week he was in recovery about as long as the surgery went. Just remember the quicker you get up and move the faster you'll recover. Good luck, hope the pain isn't too bad for you.

Margaret

It is good to hear the surgery went well. Now the fun begins. 53 degrees is good for the first session. Ultimate goal should be 0- flat and 120+ or more bent. A lot of people settle for 100-110. And some doctors tell you anything over 90 is good. Don't settle. Now is the time to start pushing, before the scar tissue settles in. I have seen some knees reach 135+ degrees. That is where you want to be if at all possible.

Mike

Just had my second session with some weights, stretching and walking. I can straighten out to near zero witch is better than I could do before the surgery. I got up to about 60 degrees with the therapists's help and that didn't feel real good. I'll be heading home tomorrow after a couple of therapy sessions.

Dennis

I wish you luck with the new knee. My wife had both done in sep 2011. She experienced little or no pain for most of the rehab. She did fall the morning after she came home. landed on her brand new right knee.Trust me, you do not want to hear a scream like that. after i got her up and to the doctors office, he said its fine, no damage. Now that knee has more range of motion than her left knee. Scared the beejeesus out of me. she is fine now. I have trouble keeping up with her. Here's hoping your experience is even better.

Ultimate goal should be 0- flat and 120+ or more bent. A lot of people settle for 100-110. And some doctors tell you anything over 90 is good. Don't settle. Now is the time to start pushing, before the scar tissue settles in. I have seen some knees reach 135+ degrees. That is where you want to be if at all possible.

Glad you are doing well first day out. A therapist SHOULD want that knee to have active range of motion (AROM) to and beyond 115*, at least 125-135 would be golden. The knee needs at least 90* for sit to stand and for steps. The "normal" range of a knee is about 135*. If your knee never went that far before and the "good" leg doesn't get to 135* don't despair. Usually 135 is when you have a knee joint without any restrictions or trauma. I do agree do NOT SETTLE for just 110*. Keep in mind, pain and swelling is going to be a factor in how much range you get initially. As the swelling subsides, the increased range you will get. There is a window of about 9-12 weeks where the immature scar tissues is pliable before it matures. That's why it's critical to get the therapy in full swing to break up and / or align the scar tissue in the flexing and extension position. Many components play into the final result including your anatomical structure from the start. Keep up the hard work . Good job.

( finally I can contribute SOMETHING to this forum )