IGNORED

Insurance and Towing a Trailer

uechi kid

Better check with your state guidlines because they are all differentand may or may not be full of sheeet.

As of jan 1 2011

Illinois insurance does NOT automaticly cover the trailer your towing , so i had to buy coverage for my trailers . However i do still have coverage on my vehicle even if there is. No trailer policy

Mike:mytruck1:

According to my agent " Progressive " my trailer is considered and accessory of which I have 5k coverage for accessories. I also ask about coverage while the trailer was at a motel and not connected to bike and yes it's covered.

Oh yeah the bike is definitely covered

Edited by playboy

When I bought my trailer and asked my Allstate agent about insuring it, he said there was no need as it was covered when attached to the bike. Well I went ahead and insured it against theft, anyway. Yeah a $250.00 deductible policy on a $400.00 trailer, but what the heck, the premium is I believe $14.00/ year.

Mike, I have progressive and my agent checked my policy and said my trailer is covered under my policy as long as it's connected to my bike. They wanted $100.00 a year for trailer insurance ( I have about 350.00 min it) and she said even if I had it insured it would go on the bike until I exceeded my accessories and additions.

State Farm told me my Bushtec was not covered. Extra policy was under $20 per year though, and trailer is worth more than a couple bucks so I took it. Bike would be covered anyway. Only instance I can think of is IF the trailer is not covered, AND it causes the accident?

Mike, I have progressive and my agent checked my policy and said my trailer is covered under my policy as long as it's connected to my bike. They wanted $100.00 a year for trailer insurance ( I have about 350.00 min it) and she said even if I had it insured it would go on the bike until I exceeded my accessories and additions.

Hmmm...."as long as it is connected to the bike"

so if it breaks loose and causes major damage (cars swerving and crashing) you are no longer covered?

Unlikely to be true....but I would check to be sure.

I just talked to my insurance agent (Allstate) and she told me that the bike wouldn't be covered when we tow a trail. Has anyone else had this issue?

Like others have said that's BS..... But it may be Allstate's rules?? If it is, I'd start looking around for another carrier. I have Geico and they just paid off on the stolen Motorvation. MOF all Geico needed was notification of the brand, model, and Vin# when I bought the trailer. No extra charge for the coverage...

When agents or companies say the trailer is covered when attached to the bike, it is covered for liability when attached. The physical damage to the trailer would be covered by the accessory coverage provided by the policy. It's the same as pulling a trailer with a vehicle. The liability of the vehicle extends to the trailer. If you were pulling a trailer and it came loose the damage it caused would be covered by the liability, whether it was bodily injury to someone or property damage to someone's property. But remember the damage to the trailer is treated differently.

I just heard back from you agent. She now says that the trailer will be listed as optional equipment and is covered. I think I need to change agents. This one doesn't seem to know much about how her own company's products work.

Thanks for all the replies.