IGNORED

Whats wrong with Metzler ME 880's???

BigLenny

After getting putrid miles out of the Brickstones that the bike came with, and then slightly better out a set of Pirelli Rt66's, I then went with ME 880's. I now have 15K miles on them, and have been totally happy with them. The rear tire is right at ready to be replaced, but I swear there's another few thousand left in the front.

Having said that, my question is, why do I see a fairly large number of folks bashing the Metzler ME880's, and instead recommending tires like Avon Venom, Dunlop E3's, and Michelin Commander II's?

The reason I want to know is, if I'm fixin to buy knew tires before the 2 week trip we are taking in September, then I need to know why these other tires are so much better than the Metzler's. I might consider them if they are way better.

It's not like the Metzler's we currently have are doing light duty either. Besides the weight of the bike, I'm a pretty good sized fella too (6'6" 300lbs), and my wife adds a bit at 130lbs.

Just wondering.

Lenny, here's the deal with the Metzelers. While most have had success running the Metzeler tires, there are many who have had the rear tire shed chunks of rubber. I ran 3 sets of 880's and 2 sets lost rubber from the rear tire. One set at 13k and the next set at 9k. Its usually one of those "points" that come off. No issues with the front tires though. And Metzeler customer service refuses to address the issue, blaming the rider for not maintaining the proper air pressure. I always maintained the proper pressure: 46 rear and front. So, many of us have sworn off the 880's. Too bad, they are a good handling tire until the rear tires get worn then they can be quite noisy and lumpy. I now run the Avon Venoms and couldnt be happier. So, im sure there will be many other responses to this question soon. And another can of worms gets opened........:smile5:

So, the Venom's handle the weight fine?

Yes, but, again, some have had issues with sidewalls cracking. Mine have been fine, however and they are fairly new.

No problems with E3s that I know of. Most like them, some say they are noisier than the Venoms and some say the Venoms are better in wet.

As for the Commander II they are pretty newly introduced so I don't know that there is info one way or the other yet. The Commanders were a favorite of several on this site though.

So, the Venom's handle the weight fine?

Im a big boy too and ride 2 up and never had any issues with the Venoms. If I remember correctly their side wall strength is better then the 880's. Just run 44 up front and 46 in the rear and you should be good to go.

Oh Man! That link that PGunn sent scares the bejesus outa me!

That makes me mad! I thought I had found a great tire with the Metzler, but after reading that thread and hearing the advice you guys are sending my way, I'm thinking I better move away from them.

I have a nightmare vision in my mind of us traveling loaded up and something stupid happening with that tire.

Couldn't live with myself if my wife got injured or worse over something that i had knowledge of and had been warned about.

I've been really happy with my E3. I still have the E2 on the front...but it needs changing soon.

I really don't know how many miles I have on it...at least 2 full summers of riding...probably in the 10,000km range...maybe 7000miles. They really aren't showing much wear, ride well and handle the wet just fine...and I'm about 300lbs.

That's a lot of stress on that poor tire.

The tire has lots of life left in it...I don't hesitate to recommend them.

I had no trouble with the ME880's that were on my RSV when I bought it, and would be running on a new M880 if it hadn't picked up a nasty nail on the way to Cody last summer. Since all I could buy in Cody was an E3, thats also what I went with when I replaced the front this summer.

I think the ME880s handle and wear very well.

That said, I ride one-up and like to inflate to just under max pressure per tire manuf spec .

I've run Avon Venoms on my '84 since I bought it in '07. The first set took me to 25,000 miles. I ran the rear to death and still had some miles left on the front. During that time the discussion came up on the cracking problems some had. I watched mine closely but never saw any problem develope with the cracks. I had a few very minor ones start to show on the front in between the tread right before I replaced it. I mounted new Venoms this spring and now had about 3,500 miles on those with no sign of cracking.

I chose the Avons due to the high load rating. One of the highest available. They are an excellent wet weather tire also. I ride solo most the time and keep the tires at Avons recommended pressure. I can't gripe about the life or the perforance of the Venoms.

Mike

We are Metzeler dealers ,along with every other name brand tire. We have sold and installed thousands of me880's, hundreds on RSV's and RSTD's, and have never seen "chunking" of the tread. But it can happen with any brand tire, from overheating, from insufficient tire pressure. Every brand has different recommended pressures for there tires that are mounted on different bikes. We give these recommended pressures to our customers at time of purchase,( correct pressures for their bikes), and we have very little problems out of tires. We have seen that a lot of people don't know the correct pressures for ME880's on RSV's and RSTD's and don't run enough air. So from the Metzeler technical fitment guide.....Solo-Front 38-40 Rear 44-46, 2 Up Light-Front 40-42 Rear 46-48, 2Up Heavy-Front 40-42 Rear 48-50. We run Metzeler tires on all of our personal bikes (7) and like them over other tires.

I have sense moved on to the E3 and loving it. Handling is great, millage is great and the tire so far with 45lbs has not separated and I have over 5,000 miles on it to date, ran from Boston to Buffalo and back and both ways on a 95 degree day. I had to put a new one on this spring because of a nail in the first one. I am on the fence about plugging it as it also only has around 3,000 miles on it.

A few years ago there was a basd lot of Metzlers and they cast off large hunks of rubber that have resulted in blowouts and even serious injury from crashes due to the blowouts. Their quality has improved and now this has not been an issue but people are still leary of them. To add fuel to the fire, therre was a rash of poor wearing Avons a year or too ago as well!

Myself I'm sold on the Dunlop E3's as they wear like iron and have always been reliable...

I have sense moved on to the E3 and loving it. Handling is great, millage is great and the tire so far with 45lbs has not separated and I have over 5,000 miles on it to date, ran from Boston to Buffalo and back and both ways on a 95 degree day. I had to put a new one on this spring because of a nail in the first one. I am on the fence about plugging it as it also only has around 3,000 miles on it.
You were in the area and didn't say hi to the WNY crew?????:doh:

The new Bridgestone Exedra MAX tires are far better than the stock Bridgestones. They have multiple rubber compounds and deep tread depth. And they have the correct sizes for the venture. I continue to be very pleased with the ones I mounted on my bike the last time around.

Mike

front tires last, I'm on the 3rd front, but the backs I had the 880 150, (8,000) chucked, 170 (2500) chucked. 190 (i got 12,000 and they started to buckle) the newer back tire is a 180, I have about 7,000 on it right now, and its starting the buckle, ( I just replaced the front so (4)

Oh and the tires don't like the rain, real slick, I have to ride at 35 tops

I would think now that its off it could be patched and put back in service.

You were in the area and didn't say hi to the WNY crew?????:doh:

Bob the whole trip as changed and re-changed, I planned on 2 weeks in Buffalo (I grew up in Tonawanda / Amherst). The first week was to be me and some of the guys I went to school with were to go riding around then a mini-reunion of sorts. The second week was to be, yup the Venture rally and I was going to stay at either my brothers house which is right around the block from the dealer on rt. 16 or my Daughters house. Well best laid plans go array my Daughter wanted to come to Boston that week of the rally so I figured ok I could make it Monday to the meeting then back to Boston on Tuesday. Well then leaving Sunday turned into Saturday then Friday for my Daughter and the time spent was also moved back which meant they were going to be leaving Boston on Wednesday as you can see things changed. I ended up leaving on Sunday heading back to Boston and I saw a few Ventures heading to the meet it looked like on the NYS thruway as I was leaving town, those who may have seen me I was the guy going the wrong way with the 06 and the modulating headlight.

Bob I have family all over the area Bennington, Chafee, Ridgeway / Medina, Lockport, Amherst, Clarence and the next time I promise to let you know when I’ll be heading that way we could take a ride out to Letchworth or Zoar Valley.

I ask the Cycle Outfitters about the problems people say they have had with them. They told me to keep the air pressure right and that want happen.

The guy that owns Cycle Outfitters actually worked for Yamaha back in the day and helped develop the V4 Venture motor,,,,,he can tell you some good stories.....

Been running the 880 for years, never a problem and great mileage on both front and rear carrying weight up to 400 lbs. consistently. Have usually gotten 18k - 20k on the front, and 14k to 17k on the rear, until this last go round, when I ran the rear pretty under-inflated. Only got about 12k on it. Never any issues with chunking rubber, and it performs as well as the Dunlops I run on the other bikes (Harley and Honda) both on the superslap and in the mountains, rain or shine. Just keep them at proper inflation and they perform great. Love 'em.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Sounds like several tires you suggested would be a good choice.

I have made up my mind, I am going to go with the Dunlop Elite III's. By all accounts that I've read, they seem to be an awesome performing tire with no apparent problems.

While I think Metzler may have had a period of time where maybe they put out a bad batch of tires, it appears that they have corrected it and the brand will be okay. I, however, am not willing to take the chance and go with them again when there are a number of great alternatives that haven't had an issue.

Tires are just something that I want to always have supreme confidence in. There are enough things to be concerned about while I'm riding, I don't need to be worrying about whether the tires I have on the bike are subpar, or part of a bad batch.

Thanks so much,

Lynn