IGNORED

Before I alter my rear wheel...

Miles

Before I alter my rear wheel, I thought I better ask this collective of experienced minds, if any of you know of a better way to get a 16" rear wheel onto the back of a newer RSTD ?

I want to run on radial tires. Period !

So we all know that no one makes a quality brand radial tire in a 15". You have to go 16" or bigger, to be able to buy radials for the bikes. Therefore, I am looking at sending my rear wheen down to Kosman Industries, to have the make my OEM rear wheel into a 16" rear wheel. Their website explains all the procedures, and costs.

http://kosmanspecialties.com/

I would do this in the Winter, when I am going to be needing new tires anyway, and I can afford to have the bike down for a couple weeks.

So, before I do this, does anyone else have ideas of an available 16" wheel that will correctly fit on the rear of a second gen bike? Or something else to do ?

IMHO, I believe I can make this bike a better ride on good radials, versus the bias belt tires.

Please let me know...what you know.

Thanks,

Miles:detective:

Guest tx2sturgis

IF I was going to attempt this, I would buy a used wheel off of ebay, then ship THAT one off to be buggered up...I mean...reworked, and then you wont have to be wheel-less for the couple months...uh I mean...couple weeks, that this job will supposedly...uh I mean will actually, take.

Then IF and WHEN you get that thing back, after spending many hundreds of dollars, and then can find a matching tire in the aftermarket...hopefully, and it actually mounts up and balances and is perfectly true, and you get it mounted on the bike, and IF it all handles well, THEN...sell your old wheel on ebay...or not.

Keeping it around for a spare might not be a bad idea.

Just my 2 :2cents:

( did yall detect a bit of sarcasm in there anywhere?)

:whistling:

IF I was going to attempt this, I would buy a used wheel off of ebay, then ship THAT one off to be buggered up...I mean...reworked, and then you wont have to be wheel-less for the couple months...uh I mean...couple weeks, that this job will supposedly...uh I mean will actually, take.

Then IF and WHEN you get that thing back, after spending many hundreds of dollars, and then can find a matching tire in the aftermarket...hopefully, and it actually mounts up and balances and is perfectly true, and you get it mounted on the bike, and IF it all handles well, THEN...sell your old wheel on ebay...or not.

Keeping it around for a spare might not be a bad idea.

Just my 2 :2cents:

( did yall detect a bit of sarcasm in there anywhere?)

:whistling:

Tell me how you are going to get a tire that will fit under a RSV/RSTD fender with a larger wheel? I think TX2Sturgis has the right sarcasm. BUUUTTT I have been wrong before. Just ask my wife.

:farmer:

Guest tx2sturgis

He is wanting to run a radial tire, which will have a lower profile, MUCH lower. So...even if the wheel is a half inch taller, the tire will likely be an inch (or 1.5 inches) shorter, probably resulting in a slightly shorter gear ratio. (and maybe a lowered ride height)

Its a decent idea, but having someone chop up MY rear wheel would not be my first choice. I would buy a used spare wheel and have THAT one modified.

Then, he will need to find a radial for the front, to keep the handling decent.

A lot of money will be spent overall, to get a slight increase in handling quality.

But hey, you never know, convince 50 members to do this, and maybe it'll be cheaper!

Kinda reminds me of the thread a few years ago...where a few members decided that fuel injection was something they wanted to try...I beleive it would have cost upwards of 2 grand to have it done...and for maybe a couple of mpg improvement, it would take a LONG time and LOTS of miles to ever make up the difference.

If it were me, and I wanted a long distance mount that also handled great, I think I would be looking at something like the Kawasaki Concours 14.

Yeah...NOW were talking!

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-Kawasaki-Concours14ABS.htm

:happy34:

Guest tx2sturgis
Ok, I may be stepping into it here. :stirthepot:

What are the pros & cons to radials vs bias?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Bill

Radials have internal plies that run perpendicular to the tread face, so they tend to be more stable in turns. I believe they also tend to wear a bit longer and run a bit cooler.

Of course they cost more, so the wear is not a big deal, and some radials have softer compounds for use on sportbikes, so they dont always last longer.

First, the cost of changing my rear wheel from a 15" to a 16" is $ 550.00, plus shipping. The cost for one new wheel from RCcomponents is $ 1250.00. So it is a lot less cost to have the wheel altered.

Second, Kosman Specialties has done over 10,000 wheels over many years in the business. They do a lot of wheels for professional race cars, drag cars, etc. This is not their first rodeo, or their first wheel welding job.

Third, I have 11 bikes in my bike barn, aside from my wife's bikes. So if my RSMTD is down for a few weeks, or a couple months, especially during the Winter, I can just take my Yamaha Super Tenere' out for a ride, or my R12GS, or my...well, you get the picture.

Fourth, the RSMTD is not going to be my primary LD riding bike. It is more of a novelty LD bike. I have more serious bikes for the serious LD work.

Fifth, running radial tires makes a very big difference in handling, longevity, and road confidence. This RSMTD is a very heavy bike. The heaviest in my collection. I am used to better handling and performing bikes. I am confident that putting radial tires on this bike will make a huge difference. As I have stated before, I have all my own tire changing equipment, all Snap-On, all computerized and full power equipment, so doing the changeout of tires is of no cost to me.

BTW, the exact same radials that are used on an 1800 Wing...180/60-16 rear and a 130/70-18 front will fit right on the RSMTD...if I also decide to change out the front wheel to an 18". If not, then I can use the Dunlop E-3 radial on the rear, and a matching 17" Dunlop E-3 on the front.

I am politely saying I do not need to be talked out of this, or told the pros and cons of doing it, I am just asking if anyone has info on other ways to get a 16" wheel on the rear of a Second Gen Venture or RSTD ?

Thanks,

Miles

Guest tx2sturgis
......... I am just asking if anyone has info on other ways to get a 16" wheel on the rear of a Second Gen Venture or RSTD ?

Thanks,

Miles

Well sorry we all typed at ya...providing feedback and whatnot like you asked...

So, before I do this, does anyone else have ideas of an available 16" wheel that will correctly fit on the rear of a second gen bike? Or something else to do ?

IMHO, I believe I can make this bike a better ride on good radials, versus the bias belt tires.

Please let me know...what you know.

Maybe you should have titled the thread something like:

"Looking for aftermarket 16 inch rear wheel"

So that your targeted responders will find it.

I dont have any issue with you doing as you please, and not trying to talk you out of it, on the contrary, I think if you can get it done and it works well, then you will have beaten the odds and accomplished something.

But after spending around $1000 when its all said and done (wheel mod, +2 new tires) I hope the handling is to your liking. I truly dont know if a 180 will clear the driveshaft housing...I kinda doubt it, but it seems like you have thought this all through, so good luck dude.

While I was exploring wheels on the RC site once I caught my breath I got to wondering about the clearence thing. Shoot on the 900 Kawi I had guys were just going from a 180 to a 200 and had to take out splash inner fenders and such. So going up an inch in wheel size I would think might take some serious cyphern.

But after spending around $1000 when its all said and done (wheel mod, +2 new tires) I hope the handling is to your liking. I truly dont know if a 180 will clear the driveshaft housing...I kinda doubt it, but it seems like you have thought this all through, so good luck dude.

I already have fitted a 180/60-16 radial tire, mounted on a 16 inch rim, into the swingarm, and I do already know that it does fit. I am not saying that I am 100 % on using that specific size. I may find that I use a 170/70-16. But a 180/60-16 does in fact fit.

Folks, I have been switching out tire sizes for years, if I find that there "may" be a better choice in tires or sizes for a bike. In "most" cases I do think the engineers that design these bikes go to great lengths to do the best job. But sometimes an aftermarket item, or a re-engineered item works better.

Given that I have a stack of Dunlop E-3 radials at my disposal, and have a few GL-1800 bikes at my disposal, it is not an inconvenience for me to try things out, and experiment.

I do know, for certain, that I am going to a 16" wheel on the rear. I have not made up my mind about possibly going to an 18" wheel on the front. But I do know, for certain, that I can get slightly lower profile radial tires on this bike, that will last more miles, and provide much better performance, than the stock sized bias belt tires.

Whatever I decide for a rear tire size, when all is said and done, I can recalibrate my speedo to be correct, since I have already installed the SpeedoHealer from HealTech, and it is currently programmed to match my Garmin Zumo 550.

Miles

ok my 2 cents:whistling: i dont have any cents :confused24: Miles I'm not an engineering type just yet and it wont be in this field but i do see where you are going with this and i like the idea i dont have the money for a mod like this but maybe one day providing your out come works i could do this as well after you have worked out the bugs i hope your experiment works :080402gudl_prv: and keep us posted

Miles I feel your pain.....

If I were you I would give it a shot what do you really have to lose? If the money is as you feel well spent and worth the effort then I say go for it. I put hypercharges on my bike and I will never go back to stock restricted intakes the difference is unreal and you should go read that thread and yes there was a lot of help in it but the negative side was there also. Now I'm not saying all the negative isn't good because sometimes it gets you to thinking but sometimes it doesn't help either.....

"Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do"

John Wayne

Miles, obviously money is no object and thats great. I think its awesome that your trying to improve the bikes handling beyond the manufacture. I wish I had the funds to do that stuff, but I don't. I think everyone needs to remember that this site is about helping, improving, ideas, friendship, etc, not knocking down someones idea. I hope you keep us posted!

Thanks for the recent encouragements.

I am going forward with this exercise. I will take very good pictures, and post them at the completion of the project. I have made the decision to only replace the rear wheel, changing it from a 15" wheel to a 16" wheel. I will keep the 16" wheel that is on the front, so I will end up with a 16" wheel on both the front and rear of the bike.

I have decided to use Avon Cobra radials for this exercise. The front will be the 150/80R-16, that will be an exact replacement for the current Dunlop E-3 bias, same sizing, except it will be a radial. The new rear tire will also be an Avon Cobra, using a 170/70R-16, that is sooooo close in size to the original 150/90B-15, that it will not be noticeable in any diameter change. The width will be changed to a tire that is .68 of an inch in total width more than the OEM width. At a added width of .68 of an inch...or .34 of an inch on each side of the tire, it WILL fit inside the swingarm without any problems.

New Front tire: Avon Cobra 150/80R-16

New Rear Tire: Avon Cobra 170/70R-16

My only additional cost to doing to exercise will be the cost of altering the rear wheel. I only have to have it done ONE time, so the cost of approx. $ 650.00...which includes shipping the wheel both ways, and all work done on the wheel, is well worth it to me.

Bottom Line...the new tires WILL fit the bike, and the bike will then be riding on decent radials.

I have a ride already prepped for in less than 2 weeks...37th Annual Three Flags Classic, Mexico to Canada...so when I return from that ride, I will remove my rear tire and wheel, strip the wheel down, and send it to Kosman Specialties for their work to be done.

Yes...pictures will be included in the final report.

Miles

Not sure what method they will use to alter wheel size. But make sure they pay particular attention to the rubber bushings so there not damaged by any excessive heat. Ruffy had his rear wheel chromed and had issues with his and had to replace them sounded like a PITA.:080402gudl_prv:

Guest tx2sturgis
Not sure what method they will use to alter wheel size. But make sure they pay particular attention to the rubber bushings so there not damaged by any excessive heat. Ruffy had his rear wheel chromed and had issues with his and had to replace them sounded like a PITA.:080402gudl_prv:

According to the website Miles provided, the wheel guys require that the owner remove any and all hardware such as bushings, bearings, and rotors.

This should eliminate the possibility of damage to those parts.

Now, lets mentally divide the wheel into three sections: The hub, the spokes, and the rim.

I'm guessing here, but I assume they will cut the spokes near the surface of the existing rim, leaving the hub and the spokes intact. Then they will weld up 1/2 inch aluminum extensions to the spokes, and finally, weld on a new 16"rim to those extensions.

Am I on target Miles? If done correctly, it should work well. In my situation it would leave me without a bike for a few weeks, but with multiple bikes, it sounds like it will work well for you.

Keep us posted when the 'surgery' begins!

LOL let the guessing begin.....:detective:

I'm thinking they will cut the rim back to almost flat above the spokes leaving the part between the spokes and the "rim". Then heat shrink a blank to replace what was removed and heliarc it in place. Next re-machine the rim to the required diameter and tire bead seat. But I still want to see what it looks like and how it handles. For the price it's not a bad way to increase on handling if it works.

:fingers-crossed-emo

You're probably going to change the overall gear ratio-to-the ground if you put on a larger diameter rear wheel and tire. It will look mechanically like a lower ratio (higher gear) which likely isn't a good thing.

No but the speedo will be closer to correct:confused24:

In response to RandyR and Big Cat...

RandyR, I am also, while the bike is down for the rear wheel change, going to replace the rear diff with the gear change for the Vmax. That will solve that issue.

Big Cat...I am way too old and too wise to install a car tire onto my motorcycles. Most of the people that have gone to the Darkside, have either come back...to the light...or have at least admitted that there are serious concerns with the soft/flexible sidewalls of a car tire on a motorcycle that puts a large amount of load on the sidewall of tires when cornering. I am all about experimentation...but far too smart to do something like that.

And, as to the guessing as to how the wheel is ging to be cut...and rewelded, what they do is to cut out my existing center hub, and then weld that into a 16" wheel that has an opening for a center hub to be mounted and welded. They do not use my existing spokes from the current OEM wheel at all.

However, having said that (which is what they told me on the phone), I will have to wait and see what the finished product is, and then we will know, as wel as pictures to show the product.

Miles