IGNORED

Helmets are for the birds

1BigDog

So, I have had several helmets hooked up on the wall in my garage. One set of black helmets have been in the same spot since 2003, when I got rid of my black 83 1st gen and bought my 99 silver. The last week I have noticed this tiny bird coming in and out of the garage. Sitting outside today, in between getting the garage set-up to get back to working on the bike in earnest, I heard a loud chirping coming from a tree outside the house. The bird seemed to be stressed about something. I just happen to glance over to the black helmets on the wall and notice straw coming from behind the helmet. I go over and look closely. Sure enough, the bird is building a nest in both helmets. I go inside and leave the garage door open. In about 10 minutes, said bird made a dash for the helmets. So, it looks like im going to have some new garage mates for a bit. Ill just leave it alone, but I thought its all pretty cool. Sorry, I cant take pics of it. My New Fuji Camera wont work with my Mac and until I find out why the Mac keeps rejecting the pics I cant download any here.

Wonder whats gonna wander into my garage next........

Ruffy every time I leave my garage door open for any length of time, I get bird nests, on the shelves and more times in my helmets than anyplace else..........I now put my helmets open side down, no more nest, I even came home one day, left my helmet on the bike, an hour later a nest was started under it on top on my saddle bag..........

Sounds familiar. Our old mobile home had mirror film on the windows. We learned just how territorial cardinals can be when one male spent most of an afternoon repeatedly crashing into the window glass. He kept trying to chase away the "other male" that he saw there. He and his mate had made their nest in the huge shrubs that were growing alongside the house and he was trying to drive the "stranger" off.

Sounds familiar. Our old mobile home had mirror film on the windows. We learned just how territorial cardinals can be when one male spent most of an afternoon repeatedly crashing into the window glass. He kept trying to chase away the "other male" that he saw there. He and his mate had made their nest in the huge shrubs that were growing alongside the house and he was trying to drive the "stranger" off.

Now we know why the phrase "bird brained" is around.....:smile5:

Time to :stirthepot:

It appears to me that birds seem to know what YAMAHA's ...and what YAMAHA related items ..need to be "white washed"....:cool10::innocent:.

I've noticed though that they dont bother anthing that is GOLDWING related. :twing:

And if you noticed this post didnt pic on Harley's either.. :thumbsup2:

So, I have had several helmets hooked up on the wall in my garage. One set of black helmets have been in the same spot since 2003, when I got rid of my black 83 1st gen and bought my 99 silver. The last week I have noticed this tiny bird coming in and out of the garage. Sitting outside today, in between getting the garage set-up to get back to working on the bike in earnest, I heard a loud chirping coming from a tree outside the house. The bird seemed to be stressed about something. I just happen to glance over to the black helmets on the wall and notice straw coming from behind the helmet. I go over and look closely. Sure enough, the bird is building a nest in both helmets. I go inside and leave the garage door open. In about 10 minutes, said bird made a dash for the helmets. So, it looks like im going to have some new garage mates for a bit. Ill just leave it alone, but I thought its all pretty cool. Sorry, I cant take pics of it. My New Fuji Camera wont work with my Mac and until I find out why the Mac keeps rejecting the pics I cant download any here.

Wonder whats gonna wander into my garage next........

If she hasn't laid her eggs yet, get rid of the nest. You will have a mess with bird poop all over and she will come back next year as well as some of the young.

If she can't get in there to lay eggs, she will build a new nest somewhere else.

I remove several nests, and sometimes eggs from my carport every year. I don't like having bird doo-doo all over everything.

Be sure and check around your air filter intakes, on your lower cowlings. I have found a nest in there a few times.

Hanging rubber snakes around the affected areas, or a fake owl will help alot.

It appears to me that birds seem to know what YAMAHA's ...and what YAMAHA related items ..need to be "white washed"....:cool10::innocent:.

I've noticed though that they dont bother anthing that is GOLDWING related. :twing:

Eck dont you have a phone to wash, wait you already done that (a couple times). the reason they leave goldwings alone is they can't get under the tupperware:stirthepot:

Maybe all that stuff doesn't smell quite right.:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot: