IGNORED

pump for forks

orbie

Haven't had a chance to get a new pump, so I used one of my old "mini-style" bicycle hand pumps...the kind you clip onto the bicycle frame. It's a bit fiddly to use and then you have to use a regular tire gauge to check pressure which means you lose a bit, but at least I was able to get the job done. I will, however, be looking at getting the Progressive pump soon as it looks to be a much easier to use tool.

Andy

Haven't had a chance to get a new pump, so I used one of my old "mini-style" bicycle hand pumps...the kind you clip onto the bicycle frame. It's a bit fiddly to use and then you have to use a regular tire gauge to check pressure which means you lose a bit, but at least I was able to get the job done. I will, however, be looking at getting the Progressive pump soon as it looks to be a much easier to use tool.

Andy

Andy, I strongly advise you to let all the air out of your forks until you get the correct tool. Right now your forks are NOT at the same pressure - virtually impossible for them to be at the same pressure with the process you described. And as you already know, checking them with a normal gauge always releases some pressure every time you touch them, and there is no way the amount of air released is identical every time.

The bottom line is that the forks hold such a small volume of air and have a max pressure of only 7 lbs, even a tiny 'pffft' will have a significant impact on the pressure. And as little as 1/2 lb difference between forks does negatively impact the handling. You will always be much better off leaving the forks at 0 so they will be equal than running any air at all and having them unbalanced. The ONLY way to add air correctly to these forks is with a pump and gauge that has a zero loss chuck.

Goose

Not only is Goose 100% correct, but think about it this way: You've spent many thousands of $ on the bike, plus all of the acc. including riding gear, and a HD pump is 40-50 bucks, and all you have to do is go to a HD dealer and pick it up.

When you do, you will understand.

Good luck,

Steve

Not only is Goose 100% correct, but think about it this way: You've spent many thousands of $ on the bike, plus all of the acc. including riding gear, and a HD pump is 40-50 bucks, and all you have to do is go to a HD dealer and pick it up.

When you do, you will understand.

Good luck,

Steve

Hey guys...did I mention I was on my way to the Harley dealer?

Andy

This is the pump I purchased:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/400227983114?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

AIR SHOCK PUMP

Fits: Any Application

BKrider Part Number: C01170043

Condition: New

Description: Air Shock Pump Pump with gauge

Die cast base with 2-3 psi bleed off button for precise adjustment. 360-degree swivel on air hose, only 9" long takes up very little room in saddle bags. 60 psi max.

It works perfectly, lets no air out as you put it on, the gauge is wonderful and it has a button to push to let out a bit of air at a time so you can get it spot on. :D Best part was the price: US $23.99 :cool10::happy65:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/400227983114?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It works perfectly, lets no air out as you put it on, the gauge is wonderful and it has a button to push to let out a bit of air at a time so you can get it spot on. :D Best part was the price: US $23.99 :cool10::happy65:

Oh sure, now that I paid the Harley dealer $56 you tell me I could have had it cheaper there....AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH! Oh well, I think I'll just go adjust the fork pressure.

Andy

I picked up two Harley look alike pumps off Ebay. 1 zero-30, and 1 zero to 60. The 30 I use on the forks because it's more accurate at low pressures, and the 60 for bulking up the rear shock.... Both were in the $25.00 range with shipping. Works for me....

• 10 months later...

I can't believe it...Harley equipment!?!:rotf:

This is what I've been doing for years with various bikes, as well as other applications at home and at work.

I have your typical air compressor, but I also have a 6 or 7 gallon portable air tank. I added a pressure guage & both inlet & outlet connectors to the portable tank, then use the main compressor to fill the portable to the desired rating (5, 10, 15, 20 psig etc). The portable tank is so much larger than the front or rear shock that the pressure in the tank holds almost perfectly stable with multiple uses. Then I can safely fill multiple forks to exactly the desired pressure, without a fear of overpressure!:backinmyday:

I use my shop air compressor, but in a different way. My compressor has 2 air ports, one for full tank pressure (which is used to air tools and most projects) and another that has a regulator and a gauge in line. I just set the regulator to the maximum pressure I want and air the suspension up. Before I put the Progressive springs in the forks of the 83, I'd just set the regulator for 14#, and hold the air hose chuck on the fork fitting for a couple of seconds. I've also got a tire inflator with a pressure gauge on it, so I can also read the air pressure there. Then just pull the chuck off the fitting quickly. When I'd fill the rear suspension, I'd do it the same way, just set the regulator higher to the pressure I want to set it to.

Frank D.

WHAT HE SAID......same one I've got.

I have a great air gauge that only goes to 15#. I use a bicycle pump once on the forks and twice on the rear and measure with the gauge. The gauge has a push button air release that allows you to set the pressure as you want. I run 3# in the forks and 15 in the rear. Nice ride for me.