IGNORED

XM or Sirrus satelite radio

Tartan Terror

Well, first of all the decision between XM and Sirius is a pretty personal one. Go to the respective websites and see which programming fits your listening style. I have had Sirius for over 3 years and have never had any luck finding something worth listening too on XM.

The technology is pretty much the same, XM having a little bit higher output signal, the technical restrictions are pretty much the same.

I you don't like using the auxiliary port you can always use a wireless or hardwired FM transmitter. I am using a Sirius One http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1128803465284 with the built in wireless FM transmitter without any problems, sound quality is great and if you spend some time looking for an area of the FM band that is fairly unpopulated in your area, interference is not a big problem.

Hope this helps,

Klaus

Yeah, Im leaning toward the Sirrus also but I want a good reciever that is suitable for the bike. Want to use it in the car too. I prefer hard wiring as well. I have an IPOD and have to use tha aux port and you loose alot. Only thin in favor or xm is I can package it with direct TV which I have already. has anyone hard wired one to their bike (Power and signal). I want to get one tha I can move to the car too and take off so it dont get stolen.

I will pass on what Squidly was mentioning at Pork in the Pines. He and Lonna were almost done their marathon ride....many many miles. He said that he is probably going to change from XM to Sirius because XM got to be like a broken record......they kept hearing the same songs again and again.

Like he said if he wanted that type of performance he shouldnt have to pay for it.

That doesnt mean that Sirius is any better but it is one experiance from along distance rider using the XM.

has anyone hard wired one to their bike (Power and signal). I want to get one tha I can move to the car too and take off so it dont get stolen.

Yes. I hard wired it by splitting the fairing and putting a "Y" adaptor into the AUX line. It's very easy to do and the parts you need are at Radio Shack. I just used Velcro to attach the XM radio to the dash, right on top of the cassette door so it comes off and goes on in a flash. Use the power outlet on the left side of the fairing and put the antenna on top of the clutch reservor.

I've been satisfied with the XM so far.

What Im looking for is a way to not use the power port and wire the power. I may need to split the power port and add another because I use the port for Ipod and more important the GPS

You can take the plug apart and wire it up direct to a key operated power supply. But be aware that XM runs on 6 volts so you need to use their plug or buy their adaptor to hook it up directly.

All this stuff in not new. I'm sure if you do some hunting on here you can find everything your looking for.

Rick hit it on the head,

After doing 28 days on the bike and almost 10000 miles I cancelled my XM account. It was worse that some of the radio stations locally, and I listened to several stations. I dont know if I'll wast my money with another Sat radio. I haven't tried the Sirius so I can't comment on that one, just dont know if I want to come off the money to buy the radio and then the setup charge to see that it's the same thing as the XM.

I think that I'll go to another MP3 player...at least the music in it will be stuff that I want to listen to. :confused24:

Well maybe this will lead to another question. I have a nice Ipod but when I use the mini plug out to the head phones and put in the Aux port I dont seem to get enough volume. Ipod volume all the way up. When I put the Ipod in the truck I plug the unit into a 30 pin connector (large plug on bottom which also provides power to unit) and I have no volume problem in the truck. I would rather do that but for the truck I needed a unit to connect to the pioneer stereo. Any Way to connect an Ipod without the headphone jack or boost out. Other than that I need a satelite radio so that I dont need to keep searching for for stations on the standard radio

I have had Sirius for about a year in my car (went with in dash) and I haven't listened to regular radio since. tons of music, NFL, will have NASCAR next year, tons of college games, Howard and they added a Playboy channel (it really sucks, that's my story and I'm sticking to it). Sirius just sent me an offer where I could get a free radio if I added another subscription to my account (which is half price) so I went ahead and ordered it so I could have it on my bike and at home. I hard wired my Ipod on my RSV to the acc jack because I don't like the sound from the FM modulator and got tired of opening the cass door to plug the wire in. I think I will just use that wire for my new Sirius radio when I get it, but may add another so I can switch back and forth. I haven't decided on the power yet, but I may split the fairing and hard wire that also. Just not sure how yet until I get the new receiver. My .02 is you will love Sirius.

Scott,

You mention about wanting to hook up additional items into the Aux plug. You can get multiple splitters that can be hidden behind the front fairing and then descreetly wired along the handlebars to their relative connections.

...just something to think about, with having all 3 if you so wish. you can run all of your items through the helmet with the intercom and then your volume descrepancy might be taken care of.

Well, I'm on the other side of the fence. I like the XM Radio. I am addicted, it is hard for me to listen to FM after being exposed to XM. There are 1000's of different music, much more than FM. If you like to hear a variety of music, satellite is the way to go. I listen to the 60's mostly, but now and then move up to the 70's, 80's, or country. And I listen to Nascar on Sunday. If you only listen to one station, I figure you'll start hearing a lot of the same music, but back in the 60's and 70's, there wasn't as many songs introduced as there are now. Just my :2cents:

I have sirrus and I love it. I will be installing it on the fairing or in the trunk next riding season.

For the people with the Ipod if there is a headpone jack in it what about getting a fm transmitter from radio shack and pluging it into that then tuning in your bike radio to the station.

Well thank you for all the input. Im gonna go with the sirius. I too like Nascar and with them signing with sirius now its a fit. Also being as I use the ram mount for everything Cycle Gadgets have a nice mount that allows the antenna to mount on the plate too and use the Ram Ball. As for the unit Im gonna go with the Starmate Replay. I think with all the input I got I want to be able to break it all down quick and put it in the trunk for security. Thanks Guys

I've got the XM in my truck and the Venture. Love it and don't listen anymore to tapes, CD's, or AM, FM radio. Just trying to figure a better way to mount it to the Venture. Been looking at handlebar mounts, but they want 3 times the amount I paid for the receiver!:rotf:

hello

all

i have a xm and so for i love it i went on ebay put in a search for xm radio mount and found on for 7.00 it is on the lt side of my hanlde bar next to the bikes controller and i can remove the radio in just 10 sec. try e bay for handle bar mount the ebat store is called trueion idem# 230029225254 he has both xm and serrius

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

I too have had many repeat songs before they should have been repeated on XM. I think my IPOD does a better job of not repeating songs.

In June I changed my XM account to invoice from credit card as I was giving it another 3 months. Well, about 9/5 I get a charge on my card for the next three months for the three radios I have. It was $80.79 cents. I called and explained that I had been charged and should have been invoiced...to please refund the money on my credit card and just to go ahead and cancel my account. They could see that the account had "invoice" and didn't know why my card had been charged. Of course this took someone in India as well as the USA.

So, almost a week later nothing is taken off my cc account so I call back. Now they haven't done anything and they are willing to refund $78 and some change. Seems like some days have gone by and they need to get paid. I said no-way. You were not authorized to charge the card. They said okay, sorry sir we will refund the $80.79 cents.

Two more days go by and I call them again and they say they "refunded" the money in the form of a credit to my account. It was for $70.xx and some change. I say, NO WAY. So they let me talk to someone more important in billing and they say "TOUGH CRAP" we will send you a check for $70.xx and some change. I tell them what they are doing is illegal and all that biz. The catch is that the account now showed someone elses address and another radio ID. Still had my name and email address and phone number. I still had access to the account using my password. The check is being sent to me at some address in Florida. Think if you sell your radio in a garage sale -- you'll have someone accessing whatever residual info is on your account. They said once a radio is on an account it will be put back on the same account if possible -- and they don't scrub the account. I would say they either have some huge application issues and people problems or just maybe they like it that way.

I relay all this to my credit card company and they are denying the charge -- wasn't without arguing and threatening though.

Lot's of luck if you go with XM. Whatever you do don't give them your cc number.

Xm is my choice i have had it for 3 years now about and now have 4 radios. I have also had serius as i won a radio kit on a ride. tried that last year jsut to see because it came wit h6 months free sub. did not like the line up nearly as much. Plus it seems liek XM is signing more and more of al lthe sprots from serius. they also picked up nascar and as of next year they will have the exclusive rights to NHL games. Never had a problem with Xm i have even bougth a new radio from goodguys out here in socal when they were closing and the radio was frozen so i waited about 6 months and called xm and they had me send it in no questions asked. and refunded all my money for the past 6 months since the radio was not working. sent me a new one activated already and also through in 6 months free. cant complain at all about their service. as for wiring it up so easy and worry free. And like anythign you will hear music over again as there is only so much out there they can rotate through. you ride enough you will hear the same thing over and over again no matter what you listen to. Oh and XM has more channels then serius does so another added bonus. again jsut my opinion. eitherway you go it will be better then radio or fumbling around with an mp3 player. As for the way to wire it in the Aux port is the #1 way as far as quality of sound. then the tape then the fm transmitter. the transmitter is fine but when you start ridding long distance you will start to pick up station in other states or counties and that is a pain. do yourself a favor and splt the fairing and put a y adaptor in. good luck

I like XM, but then again I like the 60 and 70 and country and Elvis and all the comic stations and the old time radio shows.

Plust Garmin is coming out with a GPS for motorcycles in October with MP3 and XM built in, one unit, one set of wires, FINALLY.

:stirthepot:

Sorry Sleeperhawk, but Garmin has a GPS unit out since last Jan with the MP3, XM Radio, NAV Traffic and Nav Weather with a flash drive called the 2730 the next one to be released the 2830 has all of the above with Bluetooth Cell capability. Ive read the specs on the motorcycle version with them not being much different then the 2730. Garmin will have my attention when they add the choice of Scenic Roads/ Avoid or Prefer to their Auto Routing choices for motorcycles.

Sorry Sleeperhawk, but Garmin has a GPS unit out since last Jan with the MP3, XM Radio, NAV Traffic and Nav Weather with a flash drive called the 2730 the next one to be released the 2830 has all of the above with Bluetooth Cell capability. Ive read the specs on the motorcycle version with them not being much different then the 2730. Garmin will have my attention when they add the choice of Scenic Roads/ Avoid or Prefer to their Auto Routing choices for motorcycles.

I saw the 2730, but I thought it was way to bulky for a bike.

Still have not bought any. Will wait until early next year, then the bugs should be worked out.

I have to agree with Squidley on the XM being to repetitive. Also found them playing mostly the b-side of the artists songs. Yes you get the top artists but not the songs that got them there. I 've gone back to MP3 as well.