IGNORED

Tall guy problems...

New to the forum and thanks for the add. Ive been lurking on this page for some time after purchasing my 83 Venture.

Getting right to it, as my name implies, I am taller than the average at 6'8". Ive been having a hell of a time fitting on my bike since day one. On a suggestion I found on this very site, I swapped out my floor boards to pegs, and Im still not quite comfortable. Even with highway pegs out to damn near the front wheel.

Truth be told, I also ride a 2003 Victory Vegas with 2 inch adaptor plates that push the forward controls out, as well as a Mustang Saddle that goes up and back. I am very comfortable on my Vegas, but the front fairing has the Vegas beat on the long highway rides, bar none.

Heres my question. Has anyone here ever created/bought adapter plates that could drop the pegs down? Any suggestions on where i could find such a thing? Im fairly creative in the mechanical arts, but before i wander down to the local machining shop, I wanted to get some feedback from other Venture owners.

I love the bike, as cracked and faded as she is, but Im on the verge of selling it to get a Goldwing. Its THAT uncomfortable. Ive heard the 2nd gens are a bit better for "grasshopper legs" like mine, but they are a bit hard to find in decent condition. My wife loves riding the Venture due to the comfort, so Id really like to keep it.

Thanks for the input and ride safe!

First off welcome.

IIRC the foot pegs on the 83 do have a bit of adjustability for position, I do not know if that is enough for your "grasshopper" legs. I do not know how much you would want to lower the pegs as that could start to cause issues cornering. it is already possible to drag the pegs in a hard corner. But from a distance it does not look like it would be real hard to make some brackets to move them down a bit. Most of us with the short stubbly legs have modded the seat to get lower so that out feet can reach the ground. You may want to check to see if your seat has been lowered. You may be able to raise the seat a bit.

The handle bars are adjustable to get a better position for your arms.

The 83-85 are called 1st gen MK I and the 86-93 ar called 1st gen MK II. The 2nd gen is the newer ones up to 2013, There are a lot of nice 2nd gens around.

New to the forum and thanks for the add. Ive been lurking on this page for some time after purchasing my 83 Venture.

Getting right to it, as my name implies, I am taller than the average at 6'8". Ive been having a hell of a time fitting on my bike since day one. On a suggestion I found on this very site, I swapped out my floor boards to pegs, and Im still not quite comfortable. Even with highway pegs out to damn near the front wheel.

Truth be told, I also ride a 2003 Victory Vegas with 2 inch adaptor plates that push the forward controls out, as well as a Mustang Saddle that goes up and back. I am very comfortable on my Vegas, but the front fairing has the Vegas beat on the long highway rides, bar none.

Heres my question. Has anyone here ever created/bought adapter plates that could drop the pegs down? Any suggestions on where i could find such a thing? Im fairly creative in the mechanical arts, but before i wander down to the local machining shop, I wanted to get some feedback from other Venture owners.

I love the bike, as cracked and faded as she is, but Im on the verge of selling it to get a Goldwing. Its THAT uncomfortable. Ive heard the 2nd gens are a bit better for "grasshopper legs" like mine, but they are a bit hard to find in decent condition. My wife loves riding the Venture due to the comfort, so Id really like to keep it.

Thanks for the input and ride safe!

I used to be 6'8", but got old...:backinmyday: When I got down to 6'6" and bought my '83VR I still consider it to be the best.. most comfortable riding bike I've ever owned. It had an aftermarket seat that wasn't anything special but was leather and softer than stock... For the highways I used a Kuryakyn Long Horn Mount and extended the pegs farther forward. See the pic...hard to tell the extension because of the angle but it's there. Also on long trips I packed a duffle with all the soft stuff to one side and put it in the passenger seat. Was great for leaning back on long boring legs to the next gas station...

83vr 011 (Medium).JPG

Yea the GW packs your feet even tighter than a lot of bikes. I had tons of room on my RSV, but I only 5'6". I moved over to a Victory XCT because I am shorter and the bike to me is top heavy. Now also in the same design of the 2nd gen is a Tour Deluxe. made from 2005 to 09 its same engine etc but no trunk or full fairing. They have a big windshield on them like the old Road King I think they call it. Ride sooth like a 2nd gen.

At 6'1" I find my knees on the gen 1 seem to get caught up but we do get use to it, and nothing like cornering with my feet firmly on the standard pegs.

Having said that I think Zag has a very smart setup and perhaps he can share the geometry he fabbed up.

Now if you ever get a chance to ride an old Cavalcade and there are some still around, then you feel a difference for a long legged man.

At 6'1" I find my knees on the gen 1 seem to get caught up but we do get use to it, and nothing like cornering with my feet firmly on the standard pegs.

Having said that I think Zag has a very smart setup and perhaps he can share the geometry he fabbed up.

Now if you ever get a chance to ride an old Cavalcade and there are some still around, then you feel a difference for a long legged man.

I think this needs to be said. Anything less then 6'3" isn't tall and you have no idea what us horizontally challenged people go thru trying to make something fit our bodies. Being 6'8" is in a class all it's own. And even then it all depends on inseams. All legs or all waist... Heavy or reedy... Being old, fat, and tall, I personally have found the stock seat on a 2nGen to be the most uncomfortable riding set up of any bike I've ever ridden, or I imagine the most comfortable for those who are somewhat shorter or in some cases skinnier... And I do envy you. So all the suggestions of how great theirs is doesn't hold a candle unless you're up around 6'8".... :icon_lurker::icon_lurker:

A measly 6'4" here and have owned and ridden both the 1st and 2nd Gen. 1st Gen is a great bike but is more upright. It has your feet under your hips which makes a very comfortable posture for long distances - if your knees can handle the bend. Highway pegs help.

The 2nd Gen has your feet out in front an puts a little more pressure on your tailbone. However, there is a lot of room to move around and extend your legs. Adding a backrest, offset longhorn highway pegs, and a high quality seat makes the 2nd Gen a true mile muncher for taller folks.

RR

"Heavy or reedy" what a neat way of saying skinny;)

You're right of course at 6'1" I'm just average and truth is I did loose a half inch on a sudden stop.

I do get the challenge tho and I also know that the world really is built around averages with regards to day to day stuff.

Tell you a little family joke: my father was 5'8 my kid sister was/is 4'11 3/4", the old man always said when I was born they had a tall milkman and when she was born....;)

I met some one who installed 2 cd gen floorboards on a 1st gen they moved them forward and used front bolt on 1st gen and rear hole on 2cd gen floor boards and fabricated from there . I am redoing my 1st gen this winter and that is what I am trying yes 6, 8 Is tall but it is all in the inseam I am 6,3 30 inch inseam. we are all different and on this site they are as different as different comes good luck . PS lower will not work much not enough ground clearance don't ask me how I know.

Thank you all for your input. Its good to see I'm not the only tall guy around here. Or, the only one who recognizes the issues involved with motorcycles and a 36 inch inseem.

And thank you for the clarification on the different models. The 1st gen Mk II I sat on a while back did seem to fit better, but I found a hell of a deal on my Mk I, so I'm a bit stuck.

Going back to cornering, my Victory has the same problem. I don't "drag peg". I drag peg mount when I really get crazy. Which happens often since I'm just outside the Black Hills South Dakota. Its a tough gig, this US Air Force life. So, I'm willing to sacrifice cornering angle for leg room.

Im going to start fabricating some drop plates for the pegs along with this winter I plan on tearing the bike all the way down to fix the cracks in the fairing and maybe paint. Ill take some pictures along the way, so the next freakishly tall guy or gal can learn from my experience.

With regards to Goldwings, I have found the 1987 and up Wings are quite roomy in the legs and sit further back. Although, I have not taken one out for a 400 mile haul, so long term comfort is unknown. I believe its due, in part, to the front fairing being mounted further forward. To give you an idea, my knee caps sit about 1 inch from the fairing on my 83. Ill post some pictures when I get back from vacation. This has been the big driving factor in switching to the Honda.

However, the Suzuki Cavalcade is looking very leg friendly.

"Heavy or reedy" what a neat way of saying skinny;)

You're right of course at 6'1" I'm just average and truth is I did loose a half inch on a sudden stop.

I do get the challenge tho and I also know that the world really is built around averages with regards to day to day stuff.

Tell you a little family joke: my father was 5'8 my kid sister was/is 4'11 3/4", the old man always said when I was born they had a tall milkman and when she was born....;)

My dad is 6'1" and my brothers are similar in height. This joke also runs around the family.

I think this needs to be said. Anything less then 6'3" isn't tall and you have no idea what us horizontally challenged people go thru trying to make something fit our bodies. Being 6'8" is in a class all it's own. And even then it all depends on inseams. All legs or all waist... Heavy or reedy... Being old, fat, and tall, I personally have found the stock seat on a 2nGen to be the most uncomfortable riding set up of any bike I've ever ridden, or I imagine the most comfortable for those who are somewhat shorter or in some cases skinnier... And I do envy you. So all the suggestions of how great theirs is doesn't hold a candle unless you're up around 6'8".... :icon_lurker::icon_lurker:

Keep it tall Condor. Its all fun and games until you hit your head on ceiling fans, door frames, and sprinkler systems in a building. Motorcycles are the least of our problems. But, at least were easy to find at, well, any kind of social gathering.

That would be awesome, thanks Steven!

I've never heard of the Cavalcade until now. You are right though, they do seem to have more forward pegs. Someday, maybe ill find one to buy, if my wife lets me ;)

To assist in other tall riders finding a good starting point, as well as inform other "normal" sized riders, here's a list of bikes Ive found that are comfortable, even with a bit of tweaking...

Yamaha Venture ( 1st gen, Mk II)

2003-2005 Victory Vegas ( with forward extension plates)

1997-2003 Honda Valkryie (not the rune)

Harley Road Glide

Harley Wide Glide

Harley Soft Tail

Victory Vision

Honda Goldwing (1995 and up is best, but 1987 is close)

To the members of the forum, I found this site on Google, so my hope is that the next person searching for "motorcycles for tall riders" will have some direction on where to start.

To assist in other tall riders finding a good starting point, as well as inform other "normal" sized riders, here's a list of bikes Ive found that are comfortable, even with a bit of tweaking...

Yamaha Venture ( 1st gen, Mk II)

2003-2005 Victory Vegas ( with forward extension plates)

1997-2003 Honda Valkryie (not the rune)

Harley Road Glide

Harley Wide Glide

Harley Soft Tail

Victory Vision

Honda Goldwing (1995 and up is best, but 1987 is close)

To the members of the forum, I found this site on Google, so my hope is that the next person searching for "motorcycles for tall riders" will have some direction on where to start.

I haven't owned all those bikes so have no opinion on some of them. I am only 6'2 but have long legs. The first gen Venture was absolutely not comfortable for me. You don't list the Royal Star Venture and to me, it is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. The only other one that was as comfortable, or very close, was the 2013 Harley Road Glide Ultra that I owned. I'm sure that the Electra Glide would have been just as comfortable as they are the exact same bike from the fairing back. I originally planned to purchase the Electra Glide but though the seating and leg room was the same, the fairing felt very close to me and it made me FEEL less comfortable. In reality, it would be the same in regards to riding position.

The truth is though, the Royal Star Venture, in my opinion, is at the top of the list for taller riders. With the addition of leveling links and offset highway pegs, you can stretch way out.

My current setup is the 2005 Midnight RSV. Kuryakin longhorn offset pegs. Leveling links that raise the rear one inch. Russell Day Long seat that probably raises me another 1 1/2 - 2". At 6'2 with a long inseam, I can JUST flatfoot the bike. Most people who get on it are on their tiptoes. I have a backrest and with the highway pegs set the way I have them, I can lean back against the backrest and really stretch my legs out and there is a bit more adjustment on the pegs where I could go even further out if I wished to.

Edited by Freebird

• 2 months later...
I haven't owned all those bikes so have no opinion on some of them. I am only 6'2 but have long legs. The first gen Venture was absolutely not comfortable for me. You don't list the Royal Star Venture and to me, it is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. The only other one that was as comfortable, or very close, was the 2013 Harley Road Glide Ultra that I owned. I'm sure that the Electra Glide would have been just as comfortable as they are the exact same bike from the fairing back. I originally planned to purchase the Electra Glide but though the seating and leg room was the same, the fairing felt very close to me and it made me FEEL less comfortable. In reality, it would be the same in regards to riding position.

The truth is though, the Royal Star Venture, in my opinion, is at the top of the list for taller riders. With the addition of leveling links and offset highway pegs, you can stretch way out.

My current setup is the 2005 Midnight RSV. Kuryakin longhorn offset pegs. Leveling links that raise the rear one inch. Russell Day Long seat that probably raises me another 1 1/2 - 2". At 6'2 with a long inseam, I can JUST flatfoot the bike. Most people who get on it are on their tiptoes. I have a backrest and with the highway pegs set the way I have them, I can lean back against the backrest and really stretch my legs out and there is a bit more adjustment on the pegs where I could go even further out if I wished to.

Hey Don

Did you get your Russel Daylong custom built ?

I'm an over grown myself 6' 6" with a 36" inseam. I bought my Russel Daylong from a friend who totalled his Venture

when he hit a deer. He had his built for his size ( he's about 5' 10" tall)

Just by looking at your pics, it doesn't appear to be a lot of difference between seats.

Just curious as to how much different the seat will be for someone 5' 10" vs 6' 2" vs 6' 6"?

It was on the bike when I bought it but I got lucky and they previous owner, who did have it custom built, was about an inch taller than me and within 5 or 10 lbs of my weight. It was a good fit. I'm only around 6'2 or 6'3 but the seat along with the leveling links made it almost impossible for anybody shorter to flat foot the bike.

I remembered seeing this picture Zagger posted I must say he's quite creative.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?135518-Reversing-the-shift-pattern

Nice of you to say that. Seems to me that folks with long legs should consider moving the foot pegs and controls forward on the bike. Mine are quite a bit forward and that position is very comfortable. Of course, it does require some special linkages to allow the foot controls to work - but I guess it is worth it to get some new level of comfort. I don't have any fairings so I don't know how a new foot position might interfere with bike plastic. Personally, I prefer having my feet forward instead of bunched up below the seat.

zag

Not gonna like the Goldwing. Try a RSV and I will say the Star Venture was quite comfortable.

I love me a flat six, I was going straight after a wing but once I threw a leg over it was clear, the Goldwing was designed for folks that have no lower body. I'm only 6,2 and the wing was not gonna happen. Too bad, they are very nice bikes.

Thank you all for your input. Its good to see I'm not the only tall guy around here. Or, the only one who recognizes the issues involved with motorcycles and a 36 inch inseem.

And thank you for the clarification on the different models. The 1st gen Mk II I sat on a while back did seem to fit better, but I found a hell of a deal on my Mk I, so I'm a bit stuck.

Going back to cornering, my Victory has the same problem. I don't "drag peg". I drag peg mount when I really get crazy. Which happens often since I'm just outside the Black Hills South Dakota. Its a tough gig, this US Air Force life. So, I'm willing to sacrifice cornering angle for leg room.

Im going to start fabricating some drop plates for the pegs along with this winter I plan on tearing the bike all the way down to fix the cracks in the fairing and maybe paint. Ill take some pictures along the way, so the next freakishly tall guy or gal can learn from my experience.

With regards to Goldwings, I have found the 1987 and up Wings are quite roomy in the legs and sit further back. Although, I have not taken one out for a 400 mile haul, so long term comfort is unknown. I believe its due, in part, to the front fairing being mounted further forward. To give you an idea, my knee caps sit about 1 inch from the fairing on my 83. Ill post some pictures when I get back from vacation. This has been the big driving factor in switching to the Honda.

However, the Suzuki Cavalcade is looking very leg friendly.

I'm only 6'1" and I gotta say I found the gold wing uncomfortable in the fact that between the shifter and cylinder head there was no real room for my toes and shifting was awkward. it improved some when my buddy replaced the floor boards with foot pegs but still not as comfortable as my 1st gen. One thing that I believe makes the second gen more comfortable for tall people is the floor boards are more forward than the 1st Gen. Having said that I often considered adding extensions to my shift and brake controls so I could function them from my highway pegs as well as my regular pegs (which could end up being a winter project this year since I finally managed to uncover the concrete floor hidden in my garage). I see this as a very simple modification and even simpler if you just outright replace them with forward mounted controls.