IGNORED

Anyone carry spare key on cycle?

Sounds like a stupid question I know, but...

I've got a spare key & rather than leave it hanging at home while away on 2000 mile trip, thought it might be better to put in on bike somewhere that I can get it if I lose my key while on trip.

Just wondering if anyone else does that & if so where "could" it be hidden so it's not seen but can be retrieved easily enough with just a wrench if need be (like under the seat)? Not that anyone would tell everyone else exactly where they store theirs though!

Just looking for ideas...thanks...JR

Yes , But I am not telling you where it is !

Place it in your wallet , sew it into your vest/jacket/helmet . Place it where it will be a small job to get too . Buddy of mine has his in his boot laces , like the military guys do with their spare dog-tag .

BEER30

I don't hide one on the bike but in the past I have carried one in my billfold while out riding.

In recent years I just carry one in my pocket 24/7 during the riding season.

Most places I stop I don't even take the key out of the ignition. Most people can't find where the key is anyway, I always get a kick out of watching my dealer look for it when serving my bike.

Jerry

I have a zippered pocket in my cycle luggage with a Split Ring on it...Key goes there when wife and I go on any trip that is more that day long.....Luggage is either on the bike or in the room with us....

George In Virginia:080402gudl_prv:

Yes , But I am not telling you where it is !

Place it in your wallet , sew it into your vest/jacket/helmet . Place it where it will be a small job to get too . Buddy of mine has his in his boot laces , like the military guys do with their spare dog-tag .

BEER30

I know where it is and if you pay me enough I'll forget it until I need DQ money again.:rotfl:

But in answer to the original post, yes I carry a spare key. Not only for my bike, but my wifes too.

I keep one hidden on the bike. I had a copy made without the plastic end that makes the key so bulky. It hides real nice on the RSTD. One place I've used on other bikes I've owned is to tape one to the wiring harness. The older Japanese bikes used to have a seat that lifted up. I could always find a wiring harness to tape the key to under the seat. The black tape hides the key and after a few months of dust you can't tell it is there unless you know where to look.

I carry a spare one NOW! We went to Va Beach about a month ago and I was unlocking the trunk. I hit the key with the palm of my hand to open the trunk and it bent the key. It took about 45 minutes to 'carefully' straighten the key back out enough to use. Even at that point I was stressin it would break off in the ignition or gas cap. It was a sick feelin lookin at that bent key and wonderin what it would cost for a locksmith on a Sunday. :mo money::mo money:

Sounds like a stupid question I know, but...

I've got a spare key & rather than leave it hanging at home while away on 2000 mile trip, thought it might be better to put in on bike somewhere that I can get it if I lose my key while on trip.

Just wondering if anyone else does that & if so where "could" it be hidden so it's not seen but can be retrieved easily enough with just a wrench if need be (like under the seat)? Not that anyone would tell everyone else exactly where they store theirs though!

Just looking for ideas...thanks...JR

A friend carried his in his wallet untill he lost it or it got stolen on one trip:whistling:Couldn't sleep all night with the bike in the parking lot of hotel. Was worried about it at home also,because if stolen he wasn't far from home. 1st Gen's, side cover comes off easly, wire it to frame somewhere. One friend just put his spare under the gas cap cover in the rubber boot on his 1st Gen. Said no-one would look in such an obveous place. In general, just look around, you can find somewhere to hide one.

I carry a spare one NOW! We went to Va Beach about a month ago and I was unlocking the trunk. I hit the key with the palm of my hand to open the trunk and it bent the key. It took about 45 minutes to 'carefully' straighten the key back out enough to use. Even at that point I was stressin it would break off in the ignition or gas cap. It was a sick feelin lookin at that bent key and wonderin what it would cost for a locksmith on a Sunday. :mo money::mo money:

I did the same. Bent my key nearly 45 degrees. LilBit had the spare in her pocket which saved our bacon some 400 miles from home.

Ponch

A "real close friend" of mine carries his spare key on a ring that is hooked to the wiring harness of the CLASS system. It hangs low down and can't be seen (somewhere under the coolant jug). Easy for him to get it when in need.

But I ain't tellin ya where I keep mine!

:eek:

A "real close friend" of mine carries his spare key on a ring that is hooked to the wiring harness of the CLASS system. It hangs low down and can't be seen (somewhere under the coolant jug). Easy for him to get it when in need.

But I ain't tellin ya where I keep mine!

:eek:

Holy cow, Rick! Seems there must be a bunch of theives on this site!:shock3:

Guest Ken8143
A friend carried his in his wallet untill he lost it or it got stolen on one trip:whistling:Couldn't sleep all night with the bike in the parking lot of hotel. Was worried about it at home also,because if stolen he wasn't far from home. 1st Gen's, side cover comes off easly, wire it to frame somewhere. One friend just put his spare under the gas cap cover in the rubber boot on his 1st Gen. Said no-one would look in such an obveous place. In general, just look around, you can find somewhere to hide one.

After I had mine for quite some time dang if I didn't fine a spare key in that very spot. It was was wrapped up in black electrical tape. How many times did I fill up the tank and still didn't see it until for some dumb ass reason I cleaned up everything real nice, including that rubber boot and dang, there it was. It is still there.

Before my east coast trip this year, I couldn't find my spare key. I had one made by a locksmith and hid it on the bike (dropped it into the pouch on the back of the driver's back rest.) Sure enough, I looked in and saw my original spare key sitting right next to the new spare I had made. Must be a good hiding spot.

RR