IGNORED

Bad news from Canadian crew going to PIP

sarges46

OK... how do I begin. Lets get straight to it.

Yesterday at around 4pm just east of Devils Lake, Big Bob had a serious crash. He left the bike at around 62 miles per hour. He was taken to Devils Lake hospital and then life flighted to GrandForks as Devils Lake didnt have the type of care he needed.

He is alive and unless there is a serious change he will stay that way.

His injuries consist of this

head injury, plus several stitches on his forehead...they did a nice job doing that.

eye injury...they are quit worried about him loosing the right eye.

6 broken ribs and possible lung injury which they are very concerned about.

broken wrist which has had surgery and will likely need more.

some but not much road rash from the sleeve of his leather jacket being pushed up his arm.

broken or fractured disc...they dont seem too worried about this as he was moving his legs after the crash.

Details about the crash.

He had fallen back and had told us he was going to. Then the last bike Pete, reported that he couldnt see him anymore even on the long straights. We stopped and Marilyn turned around and went to see what was up. While she was gone a soldier stopped and asked us if we were riding with another gentleman with a white bike. Yes....well he crashed and was back near the rest stop.

We turned our bikes around and headed there....Marilyn in the mean time was racing back to us trying to call us on the cb to tell us the news. She had arrived just as they were working on him. She was almost sick. Another lady raced across the highway and told her he was alive and was going to Devils Lake hospital.

We arrived on scene to find his bike and trailer totally demolished in the center median.

The persons following him said he was doing 62 miles per hour (8 mph below the speed limit) when his trailer started to go and it was almost like a huge gust of wind just threw him into a high speed wobble.

He crashed hard on his right side. One of the folks following was an off duty paramedic. The police were almost literally on the scene as they were writing a ticket on the other side of the highway about a half mile down. Response time was very quick. By the time we arrived he was already on his way to the hospital.

Bob was lucky in some ways....he was fully geared up...jacket helmet, chaps, steel toe boots....the gear saved his life the police said.

We went to the hospital and he was in a great deal of pain, but managed to say that he hurt like hell.

We went to GrandForks last night and stayed the night there and went to see him today. He looked better but is intubated due to the lungs, and in a semi- drug induced coma to help with pain and because he was becoming combative...he hated the tube.

We left there around 4 ish and are now at Garys. His daughter is with him. She has all his personal belongings. We had cleaned out everything he had from his bike and loaded up our bikes to take for him.

A prayer would be nice. He is a tough man and should be ok in the long run.

The gang here was going to run to GrandForks but when we informed them he was in a coma they decided not to.

We will update this thread Monday night when we get home. We are stopping to see him on our way back. He is covered with travel insurance thank goodness.

Take care everyone and thanks for listening.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much for the info Sarges46. Bob is a great guy and all our thoughts and prayers are directed at him for a speedy recovery. Anything I can do from this end? I am in Swift Current, about 1 hour from Bob's home.

Man you just never know when its going to happen. I hope Bob has a speedy recovery and gets out of the pain quickly.

If a trailer is needed to get his bike and stuff home, I can bring my trailer down to help load the scoot up and get it home for him.

If there is anything i can do to help please let me know.

All my best thoughts and wishes headed your way Bob, get well soon.

Brian

Edited by friesman

Rick,

I am off work monday, tuesday and wednesday.

224-4564

What can I do?

Please let me know.

Give my name/phone number to his daughter if it helps.

I don't have much of a trailer but I can haul some stuff in my van.

Anything, let me know.

Tom

Guest BigJohnD

Best wishes to Bob...it helps when friends pick up the pieces.

From experience...he needs to take it easy...don't push it. Just take the time and mend proper. Keep an eye out for the lungs...I had one punctured and they did not find it for about a week...by then it was full of blood.

It makes me sick to hear of this, Bob you are in our thoughts my friend for a speedy and full recovery. I totally understand all that goes with crashing, thank god your still with us. If anything is needed please let us know, Rick and Marilyn thanks so much for letting us know, please be safe and keep us updated.

Prayers for a quick recovery have been sent. I am curious about the crash details. What make or type trailer was Bob pulling, and when he started to fall back was he already having problems controlling the bike?? When a trailer doesn't have enough tongue weight it will start to sway from side to side. I'd like to learn more when Bob is back up and on his feet. Maybe we can all learn something about what not to do...