New Florida bike laws? sportbikers are crying

Guest Vermincelli

Guest Vermincelli

Just saw this on another forum.

New Violations:

Motorcycle or moped, wheels losing contact with the ground

1st offense:$1,000 fine plus other costs

2nd offense:$2,500 fine plus other costs

3rd offense:THIRD DEGREE FELONY, mandatory $5,000 fine, license MUST be revoked for a period of TEN YEARS

Motorcycle or moped license tag improperly fixed

3rd offense:THIRD DEGREE FELONY, mandatory $5,000 fine, license MUST be revoked for a period of TEN YEARS

A person who exeeds the posted speed limit by 50mph or more

The squids on the sportbikes are all up in arms over these new changes that go into effect apparently Oct. 1st.

Going to be alot of kids without licenses before xmas.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way I see it is to stay within common sense, and you will never loss your money or your ride. Around here you can find some nut doing a wheelie down main street doing 80mph or better knowing any minute a car or truck can pull out in front of them. They call this fun? I call it suicide..

Buddy

sure glad i don't live in florida my front wheel kind of has a mind of it's own. has this terrible hankerin to search for the sky. guess i would'nt mind that law here if they would nail everyone for a thousand dollars that has a cellphone stuck in there ear. like the ahole that almost side swiped me yesterday. snarley bill :rasberry::rotf::2133:

OK, so now that they have these ridiculous fines, how many bikes are going to run instead of pulling over when they get lit up from behind.

These new laws are stupid and illegal. Do cagers have to pay the same fines if their license plate is mounted sideways? Do cagers have to pay a fine that great when they run somebody over because they were worried about their phone/makeup/that little rat in bag they call a dog/kids/DVD player?

There are already laws on the books against wheelies, speeding and improperly mounted license plates and they were the same for cagers and bikes, but instead of enforcing those, we'll put more laws on the books that unfairly target motorcycles.

Most of the squids out there riding like that don't have insurance or a license so revoking their license isn't going to bother them, but the 1000 dollar 1st offense fine is going to make them run.

Bunch of old fogeys.

Without fueling a fire, I agree with Forrest. I think it's great to try and calm them down a bit, but most of the folks that do this dont pay heed to the rules anyhow. Hopefully when they do run, which they will, they wont kill anyone but themselves in the process

:confused24:

I do agree with Forest and Squidley that we have enough laws already, if they were enforced. If they tried to put cagers in jail for ten years for improper tags, the whole state would be up in arms and throw them all out of office. Now to the one point that should be specific to bikes only, the wheelie. I can't remember the last time a cager pulled a wheelie next to me at 60 mph. If the LEO's use their good sense, this one ain't so bad but it shouldn't be a crime that will cost you ten years.

Guest ezornes

I tried all day to do a stoppie or a wheelie took 1 local wrecker with a boom, and the stoppie turned out to be a slowiewaydown.

89VR FASTEST of the Ventures...................................or is it the rider?:big-grin-emoticon:

Just saw this on another forum.

New Violations:

Motorcycle or moped, wheels losing contact with the ground

Soooooo - if you drop your bike 3 times, you lose your license for 10 years???:rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf:

okay folks good controversy is right up my alley. how many of us have gone into a 30 mile per hour curve at some what over the speed limit and drug a board or peg. i drug my toe on my wing this morning. it happens at every venturerider meet i've been to. i have rode so fast following ventureriders through curves, that my royalstar came out of it in a bad wallow dragging the boards. before we get carried away with the tunnelvision lets take a look at ourselves. you know the saying, people who live in glass houses should'nt throw stones. my zx14 will do wheelies over a hundred miles an hour and if i want to do one i will ,right or wrong. just like some of the curves i was cutting this morning on my wing 20 to 30 over the speed limit. i don't claim to be perfect. i see a heck of alot more laws being broken by cagers than sport bike riders. i happen to have alot of respect for alot of the sport bike riders. i wish i was half as skilled as they are. it's like any thing you have good bikers and you have wanna be's that haven't got enough sense to come in out of the rain. bill :2133:

my zx14 will do wheelies over a hundred miles an hour and if i want to do one i will ,right or wrong.

Sorry to disagree, but laws are there to be obeyed. That's why we are able to have civilization rather than anarchy. If you have no respect for the law and want to violate them blatantly, then why should I have respect for you? Do you thing that you are so privileged above anyone else and if so, why obey any law. Go shoplift something you feel you cannot "Live" without. after all, it's only a law that's stopping you.

Retired LEO

I do agree with Forest and Squidley that we have enough laws already, if they were enforced. If they tried to put cagers in jail for ten years for improper tags, the whole state would be up in arms and throw them all out of office. Now to the one point that should be specific to bikes only, the wheelie. I can't remember the last time a cager pulled a wheelie next to me at 60 mph. If the LEO's use their good sense, this one ain't so bad but it shouldn't be a crime that will cost you ten years.

So I guess its time to start working on that wheelie car I always wanted.

Dont be blind this law should have been written to include all vehicles or none at all. Better yet just enforce the laws that are in place now. Do you really think that a kid who is going to wheelie at 80 mph is going to change his mind because of this law.

Read my lips "NO NEW LAWS!"

Sorry to disagree, but laws are there to be obeyed. That's why we are able to have civilization rather than anarchy. If you have no respect for the law and want to violate them blatantly, then why should I have respect for you? Do you thing that you are so privileged above anyone else and if so, why obey any law. Go shoplift something you feel you cannot "Live" without. after all, it's only a law that's stopping you.

Retired LEO

BULLSEYE..........THAT SAYS IT ALL......:cop:

We can all agree to disagree, and that what this forum is all about, we still come out friends and family.............lets just remember I dont think any of us do the things that a small number of braindead sportbike riders do, like doing a wheelie at 80 mph+ on crowded interstate highway or congested rush hour traffic as I have seen them do in the past. Some of them do have a great talent for some of the things they do,, but there is a time and a place for those kind of stunts....like riding exhibitions under controled circumstances. I do enjoy watching them do their stunts, and tear up their bike in doing so.:soapbox:

Thats my :2cents: worth.

Retired LEO

Retired LEO

i respect your opinion, and i seldom ever or should i say almost never break the law in my car. i very seldom break the law on my bikes. i am human and get the urge now and then, for a little excitment. anyone who says they never break the law, is either full of crap or one of the very few human beings that is perfect. seems like there must be a whole bunch of them around i don't know about. maybe there hiding somewhere. it's all about tunnel vision and looking in a mirror. by the way i have a tremendous amount of respect for the police. every time i drive my truck or ride my bike i wish i was one. i would reach my monthly qouta everyday of the week. bill :clap2::2133:

The law is stupid relative to the penalty. Don't know if it is to protect the biker or the people. Only part of the law that makes sense is the 50mph over applies to cagers also as I read it. Now if this law is to protect the well being of the biker it is interesting that it is only a MISDEMEANOR of the first degree for a cager to kill a biker. First, second or third time.

okay folks good controversy is right up my alley. how many of us have gone into a 30 mile per hour curve at some what over the speed limit and drug a board or peg. :2133:

I always thought those speed signs posted at curves were the Suggested Speed for that curve, not an actual speed limit zone. :confused24:

Ok , heres my 2 cents and i live down here , i like the new laws ! i am a member of ABATE and we do not have a problem with it [ we're the nuts that got rid of the helmet law ] the new laws were made to address a bad problem we have in fl. manly sport bike , they are not just killing them selfs but they were starting to hurt other people too . the new laws works , we are having less sport bike wrecks ! the high speed laws are the same for cars but 2 separate laws were made because all the news channels picked up on the mcs. and all the mc riders got the word . if you think the new mc laws are bad , you should check out the street racing laws , if you get cought watching a street race , 250.00 och !! and that law is just for cages .

by the way the new law started july 1 not oct. 1 and so far nobody has had to pay the new fine .

Thom