IGNORED

I got a ticket

Bubber

Ok so Sunday the nice state trooper in Wisconsin decided he would give me a ticket (not to the policeman’s ball either.

68MPH in a 55MPH zone, which is a $160.00 invitation to court or just pay it and suffer the consequences with the insurance company.

Before you ask I have no idea how fast I was going all I know is that I was going up a hill in the passing lane and the trooper was at the top of the hill with his laser radar on. The rest of the story is history as they say

Please resist the funny comments I told them all to myself. I don’t know if I should fight it or just pony up the $160.00 and call it a day.

My gut tells me to at least go to court and try to fight it.

Anybody know any thing about laser radar? Accuracy? Problems with their use? Interference?

Any LEOs out there that have any words of advice? Other than cough it up and get over it?

If I don’t show up they find me guilty if the trooper doesn’t show, what happens then. Will they dismiss it?

Not to happy with myself…. I haven’t had a ticket in over 40 years.

Advice Please

Dont know much about the laser detecter...but here they used to beat the radar by asking the PO if the radar gun was tuned that day and if he was certified (some werent/arent).

Also if the LEO didnt appear in court the case was dismissed. But thats Canada and things are much differant of course.

I have heard that the laser is very accurate and able to pin point a single vehicle in a crowd....uses a very narrow beam I presume.

ok Steve, now that you got same straight answers, __---_-_----

if i were you, i'd pay up, and then throw a party!!!!

it ain't everyday, that a 2nd gen runs well enough to get a speeding ticket, and GOING UPHILL TO BOOT!!!!!

just jt:Avatars_Gee_George::stirthepot:

If you choose to go to court: 1) if the officer does not show, case/ticket dismissed. I don't think it is very likely he/she would not show up. 2) if you are very polite and explain that yes, you probably were speeding and did not realize it, (personal experience here) the judge may reduce the fine and no points if you stay clean for 6 months.

Personally, I think the later is the BEST that you may get.

Just my 2 bits.

Can you attend traffic safety school, and be quiet for a year. Thats what i did last time they clock me. in 55 speed limit zone. Dont know what is law in your state, but here is you can go to school, and trow some money on problem, and doesent come in your record.

Good Luck.

You say that you don't have any idea how fast you were going, so you really don't doubt that you were going 68 in a 55 zone. That being case, what would be your justification for fighting the ticket -- that the law only applies to other people, and not to you?

If you were not trying to obey the law, and you got caught breaking the law, then pay up.

ok Steve, now that you got same straight answers, __---_-_----

if i were you, i'd pay up, and then throw a party!!!!

it ain't everyday, that a 2nd gen runs well enough to get a speeding ticket, and GOING UPHILL TO BOOT!!!!!

just jt:Avatars_Gee_George::stirthepot:

I am with JT on this one! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

In Georgia, under 15 MPH over the limit is not sent to Atlanta and no points are issued. YMMV.

I know that our local county judge will reduce the points if you appear - also if you plead nollo contendre (should be an option on the ticket), you can't get points because although you're paying the fine, you're not pleading guilty!

As I said, this is in my county in GA.. YMMV.

Did you go "Don't Laz me bro"....sorry, couldn't help it.

If you were going 68 on a 2nd gen, you must have been registering at least 75 on the speedometer.

As far as getting a ticket on a motorcycle, I believe laser is a lot more accurate than radar, unless you are the ONLY vehicle around as radar is not discriminating enough for a motorcycle in any traffic, and this is traffic a half mile behind you.

I got a ticket doing 45 in a 30 as I sped up to make a left hand turn in a "Y" intersection to have plenty of room for oncoming traffic. I was in my wife's car and had only one other ticket in 38 years. I ended up paying a fee to go to a defensive driving class, which was quite good.

I don't know about there, but here you have to pay court costs along with the ticket cost if you lose. You may be better off just to chalk it up as education, and education is expensive.

RandyA

If the officer is not in court, it does not mean the ticket will be dismissed. Usually, it means a continuance to another day and a subpoena issued for the trooper. With such a good driving record, I would recommend that you get a copy of your driving record and appear in court, but not to plead "not guilty" or challenge the ticket. You have already said you did not know how fast you were going, so that benefits the trooper and will probably be a guilty verdict in a trial. I would recommend that you appear in court early and ask to speak to the DA or assistant DA working that court. Show him your clean driving record of 40 years and tell him you did not realize you were speeding. Ask if the ticket can be reduced to keep points off of your license and insurance. The odds are great that he will accommodate you. (Option 2) Have a local attorney do this for you.

I use the Laser, it is AS accurate as radar. It is actually a little MORE specific in that, used properly, it can 'hand pick' the target, that is, if a motorcycle is next to a tractor trailer, the Laser can actually get a reading on the motorcycle where the radar will almost always lock onto the truck.

Laser is target specific, radar is size specific.

As far as fighting it, I don't know how it works there, and I don't know how big the troopers are on trials. Here, if we don't show up on trial day without an adjournment request, the ticket is usually dismissed.

And if you go to court and talk ot the prosecutor, you can sometimes get the numbers knocked down. Like I said, that's here, not there

If it was me, I'd pay it and slow down.

Like Brad said, cheaper than taking a day off and taking a chance.

Clear as mud??

For me personally, with 40 years of clean driving, I would at least make an attempt in court for a reduced fine with no points. Unless taking off from work will make that choice useless moneywise.

Presentation is everything. A little story:

In 1988, when I lived in NYC, I received a red light ticket while attempting to get on to the Long Island Expressway in Queens. If I had tried to stop for the light I would have been rear-ended. The cop stopped the car behind me, then seeing I was hung up in traffic, ran up to me and stopped me too. I tried to explain about the rear ender part but all he did was to show me a stack of tickets he wrote within the last hour and to be quiet. Since I work for the Post Office I went to court in full uniform with a tie on too....I never wear a tie! I was going to plead Guilty with an Explaination, which was an option then. The cop was there too. I was the first ticket in the box. The judge looked me over then placed my file on the bottom of the box. I was a bit miffed but I said nothing. This cop had about 10 cases that were heard, all guilty too. The cop got called to another court room. As soon as he left the judge placed my file in front of him, said the officer failed to appear....charges dismissed!!!

Moral to the story: you will never know until you try.....:backinmyday:

i got one on the scoot comming out of frederickburg, tx heading back to houston. was doing 75 on cruise control. saw the reduce speed sign to 55 ahead but didn't slow down. had a suv on my left side that was passing me. came around a curve bingo there he sat, the suv must have seen him first. 'cause the brake lights came on. to late for me hit the brakes as fast as i could, got me doing 68 in a 55. but i was able to take a online deffensive driving course. still had to pay $108.00 court cost, $18.00 fee for the state dvm to mail me a copy of my driving record of the last 10 years to make sure(i had been a good boy and had not recevied any other tickets that were dismissed by thaking the online course). the online course was $25.00 and it was a full 8 hrs with regular breaks. the course would just shut down when it was time for a break. did not have to take a day off from work as i work mid-nites. did not save any money but the ticket was dismissed and no report to the insurance co.

best reguards

don c.

Guest tx2sturgis

Find out if you can take a defensive drivers course in your state to dismiss the ticket. I believe in Texas we can do that once every 2 years...UNLESS you hold a CDL. If you do, then you have to fight it in court or plead 'no contest' or 'guilty'..either way...its on your permanent record.

If you dont have a CDL, ask if they allow a defensive driver course to dismiss. Some states also have deferred adjudication, where the judge puts the charge on hold for a period of 6 months or a year, and if you have no further violations in that time, the ticket is automatically dismissed.

Good Luck.

Ok so Sunday the nice state trooper in Wisconsin decided he would give me a ticket (not to the policeman’s ball either.

68MPH in a 55MPH zone, which is a $160.00 invitation to court or just pay it and suffer the consequences with the insurance company.

Before you ask I have no idea how fast I was going all I know is that I was going up a hill in the passing lane and the trooper was at the top of the hill with his laser radar on. The rest of the story is history as they say

Please resist the funny comments I told them all to myself. I don’t know if I should fight it or just pony up the $160.00 and call it a day.

My gut tells me to at least go to court and try to fight it.

Anybody know any thing about laser radar? Accuracy? Problems with their use? Interference?

Any LEOs out there that have any words of advice? Other than cough it up and get over it?

If I don’t show up they find me guilty if the trooper doesn’t show, what happens then. Will they dismiss it?

Not to happy with myself…. I haven’t had a ticket in over 40 years.

Advice Please

Depending how your driving record is you can ask the Judge to take it under advisement and if you don't get anymore tickets for 6mo-1yr it will be dismissed. I have done this before and no points no record.

Joe :080402gudl_prv:

heck just think of all the times you got away with it and smile

now go pay your fine and be done with it

its going to cost more to fight than its worth

you plead not guilty and then you get a new court date you will most likly need a lawer another day off work fines cost and now two days no work judgement fee and a grand to the lawer not much of a deal is it

you know you were speeding so now go put on your big girl pantys and pay up

:fiddle::fiddle::fiddle::stickpoke:

I have a solution for the future----- buy a 1st gen and don't worry about getting "shot" by the radar, laser, lidar. I have been pegged with all 3, as recently as last Friday. All were single vehicle (me) no one else around. All 3 times the LEO's just look at their display, look at me and start shrugging their shoulders. 1st gen has no flat vertical surfaces, all plastic (don't know if that matters). Truly the 1st "stealth" vehicle available to the public! And just think of the billions they spent developing the stealth fighter & bomber!!!

Seriously, even heading towards one of those school-zone "Your speed is...." radar trailers, at a consistent 25 mph, the display is going anywhere from 15 up to 39, with no other vehicles around!

Anybody else with a 1st gen have the same experience?? Curious:detective:

Dan

Can only speak for Georgia. If you are going less than 15 mph over the speed limit it is considered a minor violation by most insurance companies. Some companies don't even charge for the first minor violation. If you are going more than 15 mph over the speed limit it is considered a major violation and can be rated as much as a DWI. You were only going 13 mph over the limit. As far as going to court most state troopers are well trained in testifying in court. Usually city policeman aren't. Just because the leo doesn't show up doesn't mean the case will be dismissed. As some said it can just be postponed until they can be in court. One thing you can try is when you know the court date call the leo headquarters and ask if trooper so and so is going to be off on that date. If it is his day off he will be more likely not to show up. I have people come in my office for car insurance all the time that say their speed was lowered or they took a driving course and were told it wouldn't be on their mvr but it is. If it won't cost you court cost you don't have anything to lose going to court.

Can you attend traffic safety school, and be quiet for a year. Thats what i did last time they clock me. in 55 speed limit zone. Dont know what is law in your state, but here is you can go to school, and trow some money on problem, and doesent come in your record.

Good Luck.

Same here in Arkansas. Paid the fine, went to school (boring day) but kept it off of my record AND INSURANCE.

Check the laws in your state

Lynn

I'm surprised that you got stopped at all in Wi. When I have driven up there, 15 over is normal. It must have been a slow day for him. When I was there last, 2 weeks ago, was doing 85 and cagers were passing me left and right.

:confused24::confused24:

I did the traffic school in Texas a few years ago...OK...I've actually done it a couple..or three times over the years to keep a ticket off my record. It ends up costing about the same but it keeps them off your record. In Texas you can actually do it online. At that time, I had to go to Blockbuster and rent the tapes and then go online to take the test after each section. They may have it completely online now.

From WI - if you want to try to keep it off your record and insurance, you can go to court and chat with the DA or get a lawyer to do it for you. You will find the lawyer will have a pretty good chance to get it reduced (been there, done that) to some trivial matter. You will likely need to still pay the same fine, and pay the lawyer.

Overall, $160 for the ticket, $200 to $300 for the lawyer. But, it WILL be taken care of.

Or, you can just pay the fine and hope not to get another ticket for a while. If you haven't had a ticket if 40 years, your insurance agent would not likely raise your rates.

Good luck.

RR