IGNORED

Another METZLER

kantornado

Tire came apart today on one of the guys bikes today. The rear tire lost a 6 X 4 inch

chunk. Man that was scary for him and the rest of us who were riding around him.

Man those tires are JUNK he only had he said 1k miles on them.

I was glad I got rid of them and went to AVON................Ron

squidley

You got that right.If it would of blown and us running 80mph he

could of taken out at a minimum of 4 of us.SCARRY STUFF....Ron

danob11

He was riding a 2001 Suzuki Intruder 1500

Brad25ca

Wrote:

OEM on BMW tour bikes.

Don't know what this is about.

But thanks for posting...................................Ron

Because I just got 2 new Metzeler 880's put on a month ago. Now I am very concerned.

I sent comments to them at http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/contactus/CUEntryPoint.do

I included some of the posts. I hope you guys don't mind. Here is what I wrote:

I have bought your Metzler 880's for my last 2 bikes and must say that I like them. However, it seems that there has been problems and I have to say that I am very concerned. I ride a 2007 Yamaha Venture now with your 880's on it. I am a member of Venturerider.org Here are some posts in the forum:

"Another METZLER

Tire came apart today on one of the guys bikes today. The rear tire lost a 6 X 4 inch

chunk. Man that was scary for him and the rest of us who were riding around him.

Man those tires are JUNK he only had he said 1k miles on them.

I was glad I got rid of them and went to AVON................Ron"

"Glad he is OK Ron,I agree totally from my own experience..Be safe,Tom"

"Glad it wasn't worse, Metzler better get their act together. If people catch on to all the problems with those tires and someone dies.....can you say Lawsuit"

Seems there is a problem.

I hope you understand how uneasy I am riding on your tires that I only just got a month ago. How safe am I?

If this happens to me and I get hurt, my wife and friends have all been told about this and what she needs to do.

Greg

StarRider, it will be interesting to see any answers to your expressed concern. Please keep us posted.

RandyA

I will be sure to copy/paste any comments I get from them. I can just hear it now.......

"Problems, what problems? First we heard of it.

Wouldn't surprise me. Anyway I will post all comments I get.

I will be sure to copy/paste any comments I get from them. I can just hear it now.......

"Problems, what problems? First we heard of it.

Wouldn't surprise me. Anyway I will post all comments I get.

Starrider, Watch Really close as mine started the separation just to the right of center on the rear tire only at 1700 miles. It is very scary as Debby and I had just come back from Big Bend and running speeds of 80-85 on 98 degree days. I inspected mine and sure enough small chunks were like ripping away from tread area. The dealer was going to replace with another set but Our lives are worth more so I bought Avons again. BE CAREFUL (BTW Speed Limit in West Texas is 80MPH)

StarRider07

Thanks for the info and we hope you get a satisfactory answer. I got rid of my

Metzler's after it kinda split in a couple a spots and went to AVON.

The riders I was riding with all had the same thing to say about Metzler's and is why they switched to another brand of tire.

Of course the guy who's tire went out was asking WHY HE DID NOT GET THE MEMO.:rotf:

I look foreword to reading what they have to say. I am sure it's the first they have herd.

..............................Ron

Well, I have 14K on my Met's and no chunking on this set however I picked up a nail Saturday. The new set of Avon's in the garage are going on. I did go with the smaller front tire however from what I read since I bought them I'm wondering if that was a good decision. I guess time will tell.

Spotsy

Guest Brad25ca
OEM on BMW tour bikes.

My point was that BMW makes exceptional motorcycles and they uses 880's as their OEM tire. In my experience I have never known anyone in my province to have a Metz fall apart. Lots of people experience blow outs, regardless of their tire, but I;ve not heard of anyone around here have chinks fly off. I love how mine handle, nad I'll put them back on when this set wears out.

Well, there have been, at least, 6 reports of chunking happening, on 880s with low mileage on all different types of bike, on this site alone.

Now you've heard of it happening. Not saying don't run them just keep an eye on them and the pressure up.

Had a set on my 94 Wing. Got 23,000 on the front tire and 17,000 on the rear. Since I like to compare brands, I next ran Dunlop E3's.....not happy with them. Loud, shorter life. Now have Michelin Pilot GT's. We'll see how they do.

Maybe my Metzler's were just exceptional, I don't know. But they were good to me. I do have to admit to being a bit leery of buying them again after all I've read about the problems. A lot of this is happening to GW riders also. It does pretty much seem to be limited to the tires made in countries other than Germany. Mine were German. Most people with problems report that theirs are marked as made in Brazil.

Joe

I put 880's on mine last year about this time. I followed the inflation that Metzler recommends and My tires look like new with 8k on them. I run the hell outta them and a lot of the riding is two up. I have kept a close eye on them and have seen no problem. The OEM Bridgestone rear was a piece of crap it was ready to replace At the 8k mark. I'm begining to think that maybe the tire pressure is what is causing the problem. Just like with the Firestones on the Ford SUV's. I know if I follow Yamahas tire pressure in the Metzlers, it is too flat looking, but pump thoses puppys up to the 47-49psi range and they look like a tire should. Now Im not sayin that tomorrow god forbid the tire wont go all to hell, but so far I have loved the way they handle all the way around.:moon:

Can someone provide a little more clarification on which Metzler's area chunking? I have heard that it is only the ones being manufactured in Brazil or Mexico that have the problems and the German ones are fine...........Is this correct?

I just replaced a German 880 with another German 880 and have been extremely happy with their performance. I just got almost 15k out of the last one. I was going to try the Avon this time, but couldn't get my hands on 1 quick enough (long story).

Can someone provide a little more clarification on which Metzler's area chunking? I have heard that it is only the ones being manufactured in Brazil or Mexico that have the problems and the German ones are fine...........Is this correct?

I just replaced a German 880 with another German 880 and have been extremely happy with their performance. I just got almost 15k out of the last one. I was going to try the Avon this time, but couldn't get my hands on 1 quick enough (long story).

Mine started around the right side of center tread.I kept the air pressure at recommended pressure. It started as small cracks and the small pieces started peeling1/4 inch or so with larger cracks showing up and starting to separate.Now as far as where mine were made I do not know. I am glad you are having good luck and if nothing else maybe with ANY tire we will ALL be more observant and avoid a disaster.

I had a German 880 fly apart at 3000 miles. It was replaced with another one just like it and so far so good. I check it often. I really do like the way it handles over the Dunlop 404s I was runnung. Only got 4k on the rear and was showing cord. Of course, I had no idea about the Metzler problems until just AFTER they were installed. Seems that nobody in Dallas carries any inventory in our sizes.

You know what really bugs me about this whole Metzeler issue is that unless you are doing something really outrageous like pit burnouts or such, NO TIRE SHOULD DELAMINATE LIKE THE 880 DOES. Yes, I agree that its a great handling tire but in all of my years of riding, no tire ever came apart on me like 2 sets of rear 880's did. So, to those of you who have never had any issues with them I say great. Just keep an eye on them. Im just glad that no one has gotten hurt yet.

I agree 100%. I'm sure that Metzler will claim that they were under inflated, over inflated, whatever. I know that running with improper inflation will shorten the life of the tire but we consistently hear about this issue with those tires and seldom, if EVER, hear about any other brands throwing chunks. There is no excuse for it, it has been going on for several years, and they should be taken off the market in my opinion.

I ran Metzler ML2s on my Harley and loved those tires but I'll not be putting any on the RSV.

I went too my Yami dealer last month to have the front replaced with an Avon. He said that he will not stock Avon's due too problems that some of his customers have had with them, he said that they have "delamination" issues.

I mentioned to him the issues that some members of this site have had with the 880's. He said to me that the 880's from Mexico have been an issue but the one's shipped here to Canada usually come from Spain. I don't know if he was giving me a bunch of "fluff" or not, just to clear out his Metzler stock but I did go for the Metzler, as I always have. I hope that I made the right choice.

It's a bloody shame that you have to go through this kind of thought process regarding tires, you think that they would have got it right by now, after all peoples lives are at stake here.

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/products/tire_pressures/default.page

K.:guitarist 2:

Edited by Keitho

Keitho,

Not that I'm an expert at anything, but I have never heard of any problems with Avons. I talk with lots of bikers and I have heard more problems with the 880's for bikers I dont even know at some local haunts. I talked with a guy that rides a Harley and went through 2 880's on his H/D. I just think that we should all just send an email to Metzler and let them know that we aren't going to support their product as long as this keeps happening. We all aren't to blame like they say for under/Over inflation for a problem on their crappy tire :soapbox:

Edited by Squidley