IGNORED

Heel - Toe shifter has to go!

Guest tx2sturgis
the only problem is when i try to stop while the front wheel is still turned. some extra long legs would help. don't ask how i know this.

dale in La

On any large bike, you quickly learn to stop with the front wheel straight.

You arent the only one we wont ask!

:cool10:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be getting rid of the heel shifter on my RSTD as well. The problem is it will shift into neutral when I leave a stop sign or light. Maybe the real problem is the size 14 boots!

For me it's also a safety issue matter.. I've dropped the bike twice in traffic when my pant leg, of all things, got hung up on the heel part of the shifter causing me to flinch when I went to put my foot down for the stop. The inside pant leg seam of the jeans catches on the heel part every once in a while and snags.. It does it on the three different jeans I normally wear when riding. Needless to say, I wasn't sure what happened the first time I dropped the bike in this case but once I figured what my leg was snagging, I try to remember to keep my leg out more.. but once I cut that useless chunk off my shifter, I'll be a happier man..

When I first got my RSV I hated that thing and couldn't get use to it. I was always finding neutral at the wrong time. I liked to have dropped the bike several times because of it. I kept saying I was either going to cut it off or buy an extra one off Ebay and cut it off to use in it's place but never did either. Then one day I developed a bad case of the gout in my left big toe. Now if any of you have ever had the gout , you know how painful it can be!!! You can hardly stand a sock to be on your foot much less a shoe! And to try and shift gears, well, that's just impossible. For about 2 weeks I came to appreciate the heel and toe shifter. I won't ever be without it now just because sooner or later old ageitis is going to show himself again. Anyway, think about this before you cut it off or replace it if you are prone to this ailment!!!!! BTW you can learn to use it when you have to.

Has anyone ever straightened out the toe side of the shifter?

Move it in towards the engine.

It seems like it would clear up some room on the floorboard for setting the foot.

Doing this might make it hard to get your toe on it.

By the way, I always use both the heel and the toe.

So far it seems the BILLET SINGLE ARM SHIFT LEVERS do not exsist. 2 dealers that still list it on thier site have rejected my orders due to this coming back in the email...

Both of them were in all caps...:think:

"UNFORTUNATELY WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO CANCEL THIS ORDER THE

PART YOU ORDERED HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED BY YAMAHA AND THERE ARE NO MORE"

Still looking for one.

• 2 months later...

Like others here, I rarely use the heel shifter. It is usually just in the way of sliding my foot back, but I hated the idea of just wacking it off. By shortening it, it is mostly out of the way, but still available for those few times it's used.

Just cut out an 1¼" section, drilled and tapped both ends and used a ¼-20 X ¾" SS Set-screw. All work done with just hand tools.

I'll be looking for a replacement shifter, one that I can hack off completely but still have the original as spare..

Someone had made the comment once about what happens if your big toe gets injured, or a hang nail, bunion or gout etc.. the HEEL section would feel real nice at that point..

Hmmm

Like others here, I rarely use the heel shifter. It is usually just in the way of sliding my foot back, but I hated the idea of just wacking it off. By shortening it, it is mostly out of the way, but still available for those few times it's used.

Just cut out an 1¼" section, drilled and tapped both ends and used a ¼-20 X ¾" SS Set-screw. All work done with just hand tools.

Very cool mod! I don't have a heel-toe shifter but if I did I would probably do this mod. :)

cut mine off -- size 14 shoe -- too easy to knock out of gear when leaving stop light -- back of shoe kept hitting shifter -- tried it for about 3 yrs. before I cut it off -- no mis-shifts since the cut!! -- wish I had done it years ago! Bill

Good Job on doing the mod. :happy34: For me, my shoe size is 8 and will not need to cut my shifter. Ride Safe

• 1 year later...

Size 14 boots and never had a problem with the heel/toe shifter on my Nomad. My 06 RSV has the shifter and brake pedal cut and welded and they look like crap. The previous owner obviously cut off the heel part and modified the toe part. I would love to replace them both. If anyone has them laying around or know of a low cost stock option I would greatly appreciate it. SInce I ride with my feet on the highway pegs 99% of the time I shift and brake with my heels anyway.

Thanks

Mongo

So far it seems the BILLET SINGLE ARM SHIFT LEVERS do not exsist. 2 dealers that still list it on thier site have rejected my orders due to this coming back in the email...

Both of them were in all caps...:think:

"UNFORTUNATELY WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO CANCEL THIS ORDER THE

PART YOU ORDERED HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED BY YAMAHA AND THERE ARE NO MORE"

Still looking for one.

Same here. I do not like the heal/toe at all. I have tried to order straight shifter but nada, nope, dont have it?????? :confused24:

I was thinking of whackin' it off but did not want to have it rust. Also did not want to send it off to be chromed. Clear coat... great idea!

Hay O'. If you haven't done your shift peg yet, we can swap Squid's ****er from his 99' to your bike at Kreg's Mt Day 3/26/11 and I'll cut off the rear portion of it and get it chromed for you.

I can't imagine having to slide my foot up to shift it with my toe. As for it getting in the way of my foor I wear 11's and always wear good heavy boots and I never have a problem. The forward controls and the heel toe shifter was the one thing I wanted on my "nest" bike when I bought my RSV. But I guess I never thought about just shifting with the toe either.

I cut mine off and painted the steel with a bit of clear paint. It's been holding well for two years now and you don't see it unless you look right at it. I agree. I never had a bike before that had one, couldn't get used to it, after a while didn't even try to use it anymore, and it was nothing but in my way. I have a lot more left foot room with the thing gone.

I agree. I can't get used to using mine and it is in the way also. It just seems too high to use. Some folks love them, but H/T shifters ain't for me.

I cut off the one on my wife's VStar 650 Classic.

She kept hitting it with her heel it in parking lot maneuvers and would knock her bike into neutral. She about went over a couple of times when she went to use the throttle for control and the bike had been knocked into neutral. After that, she obviously felt uneasy about parking lot speeds.

I hated to cut up that nice chunk of chrome, but she let me know it was her bike and it oughta be set tp the way she wanted it. I had to agree.

So, out came the saw and a bit of black paint to cover the scar. Actually looks good and works out great for her. She now has regained her parking lot confidence.

And that's a plus for me too.

Never used a heal toe shifter untill I bought my 09 Ultra. Took about a week to get used to it. I will say that I had trouble with bumping it into neutural taking off,but realized that I had my heal up ready to shift and just a little pressure with it on the shifter would move it. Stopped doing that and no problems. Love it now. Gil

• 1 month later...
Tom loves them on his other bikes and would love to have one on the Venture.

I did some searching but didn't find one for 86-93s.

And yeah, he's got smaller feet. . .

Thanks for any help,

Ginny in Denver-ish

Ginny this thread is in the 2nd gen area, 1999 - current (the immature scoots:stickpoke:).

Teasing happens, between the 1st gen & 2nd gen owners, so don't be surprised. :stirthepot:

But as for your question, heel toe shifters are hard to find for the 1st gens. Good thing too, or there would probably be more broken stator cases. The 1st gen heel toe setup, was not as well thought out, as it should have been. :2cents:

• 1 month later...