IGNORED

Heel - Toe shifter has to go!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Steve,

If you want to trade your heel toe shifter, the board has to go with it?

Rick

I have a heel/toe shifter on my 83 with running boards.

It is a bit sloppy on the shaft.

If anyone wants it I'll trade it for a toe shift lever.(not the running boards!)

I have a heel toe willing to trade for just a Toe shifter. My shifter has some pitting on the chrome. I dont wax or polish it when the bike gets washed. Will take a picture if anyone is interested in a trade. or has a toe shifter for sale.

You'd have better luck cutting the heel off what you have now. Mint H/T's are very common while the toe shifter is rarer than chicken lips, and are no longer available. And bring $100+ bucks on Ebay when they show up.

A little late here... Geeze I didn't absorb the 1stGen part of the post. Shift levers for the 1stGen's are all over the place.... Go get one off Ebay....

Edited by Condor

Never had a heel/toe shifter until I got the Venture. Hated it at first but once I got used to it I really like it. It is so easy and much quicker. I borrowed a friends bike and had trouble getting my toe under the shifter ( size 11 boots) It felt really clumsy compared to the heel/toe.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh221/muaymendez/IMAG0264.jpg

i cut it with a hacksaw and noticed that it was either stainless or aluminum. Maybe not aluminum because it was tough to cut by hand.

i took a file to it and ended with sandpaper and clear nail polish incase the metal was not stainless.

I think it looks good and works well also.

I can't get used to the H/T shifter so going to Toe only. Plus I'm seriously considering getting rid of the floorboards and going with pegs.... :stirthepot:

After which I'll switch out the V-4 for a V-Twin 950.... :stirthepot::stirthepot:

I put a heel-toe shifter (no floor boards) on my '84 Royale, rode it 'till 2004, then a V Star 650 with floor boards/heel-toe shifter, then '07 Venture with boards/heel-toe. Now a '07 GL1800 Gold Wing. One of the first accessories I got for the GW was a heel-toe shifter. Accomodates my riding style better, and it looks good, too.

I know some of you absolutely prefer the toe-only shift, but I'm sort of into a more leisurely approach to riding, and simply sliding my foot back a little and pressing down with my heel seems to be more comfortable than lifting my foot after twisting my toes down under a shifting lever. Heel shifting also does not scuff the boot/shoe. Back when I was drag racing the only way to go was toe only, but no need for that now. Quick shifting with the heel shifter is possible, it's just something that I don't find much need for any more.:2cents: