IGNORED

My 1st Crash and recuperating

Eddy

I'm sorry to report I crashed my 2007 RSV on Monday in Pineville, Ky. Myself and 5 of my buddies were returning home fm a 4 day(1500 mile) trip and was within 2 hours of home when it happened. A lady crossed 2 southbound lanes to enter the norhbound lane we were in and caused 4 automobiles and 2 bikes to crash. She didn't even get a scratch on her vehicle. I'm so mad I could spit. She was cited for "driver inattention and no proof of insurance. My bike is in the shop and I'll find out in a couple days if it was totalled or not. My buddies bike, which my bike hit, is a ultra classic and probably sustained 2000 dollars damage.

I don't have any broken bones due to wearing all my gear. My helmet saved my life and my boots and armored jacket kept me relatively free fm broken bones and very little road rash. I've been off work for 2 days because I'm so sore, even in places I didn't know I had, ha ha.

I have to tell you my brakes "locked-up" and I skidded which is why I went down. I had no option but to hit the brakes hard. Yamaha needs to fix these brakes and they'd have an even greater bike. I don't know if I'll continue riding this bike because if my wife had been with me she would've become a projectile.

In closing, I just want to remind you to wear your gear, even if it is hot and be careful. There's a lot of stupid people out there and stupid does hurt!!!

You guys are great!!

Eddie Flinchum--Winchester, KY.

Hang in there Eddie .....sorry to hear of your mishap and I certainly hope you heal FAST!

I went down with my 06 Venture on 26 July.....and the only part of my body that does not have pain is my fingertips. Hope to be back in the saddle by the end of September and I will do a much better job of "dressing for the crash rather than the ride" this next time around!

At least my Venture was not totaled as this was a low speed crash at 30mph.....but the asphalt was not any softer at low speed I assure you.

Regards........Boomer

Eddy,

Sorry to hear about your crash, at least you are here to tell us about it! I do agree with you though, there are alot of stupid people out there that spend more time on the cellphone or something other than paying attention to driving their da-- car! I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Dave:Venture:

Eddie,

I really feel your pain, especially because I have gone down hard 3 times, twice with my wife with me. And it was always that panic stop resulting in the rear wheel locking up. And after my 3rd time down, I almost decided to let the insurance company have it and get something with ABS. But I decided to go ahead and put an adjustable proportioning valve on the rear master cylinder. And this change did the trick. It will still lock up if you press it down hard enough, but it gives you a second or two from the instant that you inadvertenly stab the rear pedal until the point that you come to your senses and realize you have hit it too hard. It slows the volume flow of brake fluid to the rear caliper and provides you that second or two before the caliper starts clamping hard on the rear rotor.

If all you did was go down on one side and did not impact an immoveable object with the front, it is not totaled. I have rebuilt mine 3 times now and the great thing about all of this is that my wife still rides with me. Now it's such a pleasure to come to an emergency stop, but the more important fact is to use the front brake first and then bring in the rear.

Look in the classified section or do a search on the Butler Mod to get more info on this subject.

I know you will heal up and I hope this helps,

Rick

I did have some front end damage to the bike because it hit another bike that was sitting still. I'll find out today what the extent of the damage is from the shop and the adjuster. I don't think it'll be totaled but the shop manager says it could go either way, depending on how the frame looks. If it's not totaled, I'll be out of a ride for quite a while while the repairs are going on. I'll check into the brake fix you've referred to and maybe I can get it done with my limited mechanical abilities.

Thanks to everyone for your kind responses.

Eddie:fingers-crossed-emo

Eddie: I learned that when its going to happen to you it just is! There isn't a lot you can do no matter how cautious or how much trainning. Don't write off the Venture because "if your wife was on it". Every make of bike out there has gone down I'm sure and many wives have become projectiles (Bev did but she wasn't a very good one). You have to decide for yourself that the reward far outweighs the risk. Glad you are semi ok. Just be prepared to "feel" it for the next couple of months

Eddy,

Glad to hear that you didn't break any bones. Be possitive and you will be surprised how quickly you will be feeling better.

A couple weeks ago I wiped out on gravel only doing 10km per hour and ended up with a broken ankle and cracked rib. Just goes to show,,,,,,,,,,,, you never know.

Get better quick and good luck with the bike. Keep us posted.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the positive comments and I fully plan on riding my Venture again. They just called and it'll take $7,100 dollars to fix the bike and the frame isn't bent so I should have it in a month or so. I sure miss seeing the beast in my garage. Thanks again and I hope to make it to some of your "meet and eat" get-together's" before long.

Eddie

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the positive comments and I fully plan on riding my Venture again. They just called and it'll take $7,100 dollars to fix the bike and the frame isn't bent so I should have it in a month or so. I sure miss seeing the beast in my garage. Thanks again and I hope to make it to some of your "meet and eat" get-together's" before long.

Eddie

Just because you are not riding doesn't mean you don't have to show up for breakfast tomorrow. You are still obligated to show up. Ride the Virago.