What is the most common reason that my forks bottom out so easily, 83 venture, holds air pressure, but sure hits bottom hard and often. Want to know before going back to selling dealer.

Thanks

Also just had front bumper break off, coming home from work. What a surprise to hear it hit the front wheel and fly out from underneath.

Brackets are broke.

:scared:

Too low Oil Level and weak stock Springs.

Put in Progressive Springs and be done with it.

:sign yeah that: I agree with Lutz 100%, change out the fork oil and if you can afford to do it replace the front spring with the progressives, I have done several bikes like that and it's amazing the performance you'll gain.

Guest Vermincelli

First thing I would recommend to anyone on a 1st gen is swapping out those weak front springs.

I put progressives in mine and I don't need the air now. (matter of fact, I could really do with cutting down the spacers a bit). $55 bucks is cheap for the upgrade they give you.

I'll make it unanimous. I'm a big guy and mine bottomed out way to easy. New progressive springs and no more problems. Next to Squidley's battery cables, about the best and easiest fix for a 1st gen.

On your front fender...... make sure you don't have any brake fluid leaks up there, will eat the plastic up overnite.... realize it could have been the "shock" of the shocks bottoming out, but still,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am also dealing with suspension issues. Have an '88 VR purchased last August. Immediately I wasn't happy with suspension/ride...felt rough/'harsh' and bottoming out. I had a comparison bike in that my brother has an '85 VR..stock springs and rides very smoothly...and no bottoming out issues. So I replaced with progressives as many recommmend here...but still find a 'harsh' ride on sharp bumps and a sort of bouncy spongy action on other bumps. I have played with oil levels and different spring spacer thicknesses and tried no air to various air pressure settings....but can't seem to get improvement on my ride. I have had the forks off and apart and cleaned and done bushings and seals and dust seals. I have also added a fork brace. I use 10W fork oil. I weigh about 167 lbs. I even took the progressives out and went back to the OE springs to see if it was different/better but ended up putting progressives back in. As i said.....even now with everything i've done and tried.....the ride on my bike is not near the ride comfort level I feel on my bother's '85. Any help/suggestions/recommendations?? Am i missing something? Should i look elsewhere? I believe for this bike and weight of the bike...i should have a better level of ride comfort.

I am also dealing with suspension issues. Have an '88 VR purchased last August. Immediately I wasn't happy with suspension/ride...felt rough/'harsh' and bottoming out. I had a comparison bike in that my brother has an '85 VR..stock springs and rides very smoothly...and no bottoming out issues. So I replaced with progressives as many recommmend here...but still find a 'harsh' ride on sharp bumps and a sort of bouncy spongy action on other bumps. I have played with oil levels and different spring spacer thicknesses and tried no air to various air pressure settings....but can't seem to get improvement on my ride. I have had the forks off and apart and cleaned and done bushings and seals and dust seals. I have also added a fork brace. I use 10W fork oil. I weigh about 167 lbs. I even took the progressives out and went back to the OE springs to see if it was different/better but ended up putting progressives back in. As i said.....even now with everything i've done and tried.....the ride on my bike is not near the ride comfort level I feel on my bother's '85. Any help/suggestions/recommendations?? Am i missing something? Should i look elsewhere? I believe for this bike and weight of the bike...i should have a better level of ride comfort.

I would suggest it is your steerung head bearings being loose. Now you could just tighten them to see if things improve, but you will need to take them apart, clean and grease them to have things right. When you have them apart get a new set from your local bearing dealer, then you know all is on proper order and you don't have any wear to give you future problems.

On your front fender...... make sure you don't have any brake fluid leaks up there, will eat the plastic up overnite.... realize it could have been the "shock" of the shocks bottoming out, but still,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The brackets appear to have been cracked for awhile, rust at the break point, no brake fluid leaks, checked it out pretty well when I got home.