IGNORED

Year to Year Differences

The 88 had a change in the rear suspension. They went to the shock mounted to the relay arm with its own bolt and then another connection from the relay arm to the arm that connects to the swing arm. The service manuals don't show this new setup but the parts fiche does. It appears that the relay arms are different also but might be interchangeable between the years but you might need additional parts to do the swap.

So if trying to buy these parts from Ebay you need to be aware of the difference. I believe this carried through till the end of production of the 1st gens.

That is all I can think of at the moment that hasnt been stated already.

Rick F.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy, Could you have swapped out the drive shaft and got it to work??

No, we had an earlier differential and driveshaft and on the 83/85, the driveshaft coupling on the differential sticks out farther. The 86 up driveshaft is longer because it is more resessed into the differential as part of the improved lubrication on the splines.

RandyA

-Yes '88 was last year for standard, '87 first year they included cruise on the standard.

-I think the safest way is to check part numbers on the online parts places, obviously the plastic numbers wouldn't match due to color, but everything else.

-Pretty sure the carb throats are larger on the 1300 (34 mm VS 32mm)...might have some nasty vacuum leaks mixing and matching.

About the only thing I can add is that there is a turn signal cancal feature on my 86 that is not on the 83. First time I've heard of the different swingarm between the 86 & 83. Maybe that has alot to do with the slow speed shimmy on the 86 compared to the 83.:confused24::D

My 84 has a turnsignal cansel

Alan, I think it must be your scoot. My '83 cancels after about 10 seconds....

So does mine but the 86s has a feature were you push the switch lever in toward the handle bar and you can cancel out the turn signals yourself right after you turn instead of letting the bike do it.:D

So does mine but the 86s has a feature were you push the switch lever in toward the handle bar and you can cancel out the turn signals yourself right after you turn instead of letting the bike do it.:D

I had a 83 from brand new (sold it in 92 when I bought my 86)....the 83 had the same push in to cancel manually as the 86.

MY 85 does the same thing

Brian

I've been pretty busy so I haven't been able to peruse the site lately. So now you guys tell me that my 83 had this feature and I never knew it. I just fugured that it wasen't on the 83 because I tried to do it but it never would work. I've been all over that bike and allways told myself that the cancel feature was a nice safety feature and wished it was on the 83.. Well now I'm bummed because I sold the 83. I can't even tear into it to fix it just for my own curoiosity. Now thats gonna bug me. Oh well, shes gone. By the way it only sat in front of my house for about 5 hours before it sold. I put 2800 on it hopeing to get 2500. Which it did sell for. Here I thought I was asking to much for a 83. A group of boys stopped to look at it on their bikes and the one said he would be back tomorrow. About 1 hour later they showed up with a check from one of the boys father. The boys father bought it sight unseen except from the picture on the boys phone. Just from what his son said. Trusting dad don't you think? I'm gonna miss that bike the wife and I went all over on that thing and it never let us down. I had a Venturerider sticker on it so maybe he will be on here sometime so don't scare him away will you guys. I kinda want to keep in touch with the old trusty friend somehow.LOL:D

• 1 month later...

I think the coloring of the lettering on the controllers, radio components and console gauges changes colors after '85. 83-85 are white and 86 and later are brownish. At least this is what I am noticing as I am looking. I replace the radio pieces from an '86 and they are brown. I have a later console now and the lettering is brown and see the the controllers are brown too. Correct me if I am wrong but this is what I have been noticing. Personally, I like the brown lettering better than the white, it goes with my color better.

Oh where the '85 trunks are the same as '86 and later, the 85 is removable and is kind of bouncy even with new rubber where I believe the '86 and later are solid, not removable with just the key.

Btw, has a list been put together yet?

I think the coloring of the lettering on the controllers, radio components and console gauges changes colors after '85. 83-85 are white and 86 and later are brownish. At least this is what I am noticing as I am looking. I replace the radio pieces from an '86 and they are brown. I have a later console now and the lettering is brown and see the the controllers are brown too. Correct me if I am wrong but this is what I have been noticing. Personally, I like the brown lettering better than the white, it goes with my color better.

Oh where the '85 trunks are the same as '86 and later, the 85 is removable and is kind of bouncy even with new rubber where I believe the '86 and later are solid, not removable with just the key.

Btw, has a list been put together yet?

Nope they all have white lettering. The cruise lettering is in green. The 83 doesn't have cruise. The 83/84's thumb switch is on/off/set, and the 86+ thumb is set/accell/decell. Got side tracked with the project with VWIV and all. Need to get back on it.

Spotted a controller yesterday that was brownish and not white. Got my eye on it. My current console lettering/numbering/lines are white and the one I got from Poledar is brownish. My old radio/cassette/controller was white, replacement was brownish.

It would interesting to hear what others have. I know, I know you have em all, lol.

Spotted a controller yesterday that was brownish and not white. Got my eye on it. My current console lettering/numbering/lines are white and the one I got from Poledar is brownish. My old radio/cassette/controller was white, replacement was brownish.

It would interesting to hear what others have. I know, I know you have em all, lol.

Interesting, why don't you take a pic of the brown one and post it. I'd like to see what it looks like...maybe others would too.

• 6 years later...

I ask the sellers on ebay for the part numbers of the parts they are selling, they usually don't know and if they can't provide I get skeptical of buying form them. I mean thay have ALL the pertanant info to look up the P/N of the thingamajig that's in hand. Like the METER; it's not a SPEEDOMETER or a COMPUTER but that's what the METER is often called on eBay. Not the best example of my point but if you have researched parts and dealt with the ebayers you know what I mean. They don't know about the 4 brush starter, they don't know that the wheel bearings they sell fit more than 1 year, For example (again) One vendor showed Balls Are Best bearings for a different year than I needed. I looked up the bearings at Yamaha for the year being offered (on eBay) and compared them to the P/N for my bike, they were the same so I bought the bearings, they fit just fine.

I ask the sellers on ebay for the part numbers of the parts they are selling, they usually don't know and if they can't provide I get skeptical of buying form them. I mean thay have ALL the pertanant info to look up the P/N of the thingamajig that's in hand. Like the METER; it's not a SPEEDOMETER or a COMPUTER but that's what the METER is often called on eBay. Not the best example of my point but if you have researched parts and dealt with the ebayers you know what I mean. They don't know about the 4 brush starter, they don't know that the wheel bearings they sell fit more than 1 year, For example (again) One vendor showed Balls Are Best bearings for a different year than I needed. I looked up the bearings at Yamaha for the year being offered (on eBay) and compared them to the P/N for my bike, they were the same so I bought the bearings, they fit just fine.

That's because ebayers aren't (for the most part) motorcycle enthusiasts.

They're usually just someone who has gotten a hold of some stuff in surplus, or estates sales, or rejects, or from a shops dumpster or something like that and is looking to turn a quick buck.

They know nothing about it except they want whatever everyone else is asking on ebay for similar stuff....or they want stupid money and hope some pigeon will grab it.

Ebay: it both sucks and it doesn't all at the same time....

Spoken like a true philosopher.... :dancefool::clap2::hurts:

LOL!

Funny thing is: I dropped philosophy as one of my electives in university. Couldn't stomach what seemed like the profs foolishness.....she had us out on the front lawn sitting around a tree one day, trying to relate to it.

Though to myself: "Yeah, I'm not paying good money for this!"

Never looked back. Right choice for me!

:)

• 1 month later...
I just had a thought... I know..I know.. about putting together a list of features, or subtle differences, between all years of the 1stGens. Maybe a good idea...maybe not, but outside of colors which are listed in Venture History it might be fun to put together something. So I'll start, chime in if you can think of anything that first appeared in that year and I'll add it to the list. If I don't get any response I'll figure it was a bad idea and pick up my marbles and go away....:whistling:

1. TCI is unique

2. vacuum advance comes off carb.

3. Dash is unique

4. Front brake and Gear shifter are adjustable

5. Hydralic anti-dive

1. TCI changed

2. vacuum advance comes off manafold.

3. Choke set rotates in front of LH Grip

4. Cruise Control

5. Dimmer knob, gear position, stop watch added to Dash

1. Larger removable trunk.. unique

2. V-Max tranny after #1417

3 Choke set back to slider

1. 1300 engine

2. Larger saddle bags

3. Larger trunk

4. Choke setting back to slider under horn button

5. larger 4 piston calipers and rotors

6. Wider passenger seat

7. Headlight changed in 86 to include different headlight bucket, top frame that mounts dash, adjustment mech, left side upper frame and headlight ring

8. passenger foot boards added

9. Muffler mount spacer larger

10. OEM CB added

11. chin scoop out of ABS

12. Engine guards redesigned to take new scoop

13. Windshield chrome strip changed to one piece

14. wider fork mount for 100mm calipers

15. Front brake and gear shifter non-adjustable.

16. clutch springs, pressure plate changed.

17. extra bleeder valve for left front brake near ignition switch.

18. Cruise Control lights on ignition switch cover.

19. Electrical anti-dive.

20. Longer drive shaft and modified final.

1. Standard XVZ1300 Discontinued

1. front fork boots attach a at the bottom.

2. TCI changed

1. European only

Don't forget that the passenger backrest is adjustable '86 and on. I also know that the newer style trunk had a vanity mirror and a light