IGNORED

Air Horn install - Stebel

Gained

Does anybody have issues with the chrome coating coming off the the Stebel Natulis horns??

I am thinking about purchasing them, but should I get the black one and mount it somewhere "hidden" or get the chrome one and put it in the stock location..........

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chrome is "Plastic chrome" and so far I haven't had a problem with it. Not the prettiest thing you ever saw but no need to hide it either. Get Carbon_One's stainless steel bracket and mount it where the original horn is.

Wayne

Kite Squid...Yes, the chrome is coming off mine too.

I've rubbed a spot off the top from getting on & off the bike. Hardly noticable unless you look for it. But as noted the chrome isn't really chrome but a painted on process. Eventually I'll either have the cover rechromed or just spray paint it with chrome paint. Maybe even a wrinkle finish black would look OK.

Anyhow I'll worry about that when the time comes

Larry

Thanks!!!

Where can I find it for the best price, delivered?

Found this on Ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STEBEL-NAUTILUS-BLACK-COMPACT-12-VOLT-139-DB-AIR-HORN_W0QQitemZ320138880239QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6779QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or if you have a Harbor Freight around you they carry the black one. They put them on sale from time to time for $34.99. Thats where I got mine. Pictured below on the bike.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94117

OK, here is my question:

Why are you all putting these loud horns on? The only people that I see that use horns, are the people on the coast or big cities that are in a big hurry.

I've used my horn to see if it works, but if I needed it, I think I'd be better off figuing out a plan of excape, rather than blowing my horn.

Or is it that you just like adding stuff? :)

Just wondering,

Steve

OK, here is my question:

Why are you all putting these loud horns on? The only people that I see that use horns, are the people on the coast or big cities that are in a big hurry.

I've used my horn to see if it works, but if I needed it, I think I'd be better off figuing out a plan of excape, rather than blowing my horn.

Or is it that you just like adding stuff? :)

Just wondering,

Steve

You make a valid point, but I can think of...

- a time someone was backing up into me

- a time when someone forgot to look and almost pulled out into the street in front of me

- a time when I wanted to get a co-rider's attention

and most of all

- a few times I wanted to give someone the finger, but didn't want to raise my arm...:rotf:

• 1 month later...
Guest Thor2000

I just bought the blue 2007 Venture. I put the bag rails on and seen yours with lights in the rails. Where did you get them?

Also, I was looking for the LED tail/break light to put on the trunk. I seen you have one but it is underneath. Where did you get that?

Hope to hear from you soon.

My name is Greg (Thor) and I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

TTYL

I converted the OEM reflectors to LED's on both the front and rear. The rears are easy but the fronts are a b***h to do if you want to keep a decent mount for them. I took photos of this and plan to post it soon. You can buy the reflector LED's from JC Whitney.

As for the rear LED bar, that came from Auto Zone and cost about $14. It is actually designed to fit in a car rear window but can be adapted for your use. This item is made by Pilot and ma be hard to find now. There are other great LED bars in the aftermarket for this use.

Good luck!

I put on the Stebel air horn using the Stainless Steel bracket that Carbon one sells.

Mounting the horn was EASY using the bracket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hardest part was figuring out where to mount the relay.

this horn gets ATTENTION!!!!!!! it is LOUD!!!!

I would like this horn on my cages to.......

I think that the Stabel air horn should be the first upgrade that anybody puts on their bike, or that Yamaha should put them on at the factory!!!!!!!

Guys,

I'm installing one of these on a friend's bike (with the RSV bracket) and have a question for those of you who have already installed theirs.

It appears that the positive and negative wires going into the bottom to the wiring spades are very close to the pipes. I would think these wire connectors will get too hot? Is there anything anyone did to get around this situation or is this even a problem?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick there's two ways of solving this. One is to bend over the tabs as far as they'll go with the connected wires in place or two is to solder the wires directly to the terminals.

On my bike I just bent the tabs over. Haven't had any issuses yet with wires getting hot or melted. I did pull up the wires and zip tied then so as they couldn'y fall or relax and then get in touch with the exhaust.

I'm sure there's other ways of doing this too.

Larry

If you look at the pipes, they are not pipes, but heat shields that are over the real pipes..... so the connectors will not get too hot.

I did as stated above, and bent the connectors, however I think that there are 90 degree female connectors on the market...

Soldering the wires on and potting them with RTV (silicone caulk) or epoxy is probably a better solution. this was done by somebody else here, but sadly I don't remember who...

Edited by KiteSquid

• 10 months later...

Well, I thought about it for a week, then went to Harbor Freight and bought me one of those "Bad Boy" air horns. I knew I'd need to make a new bracket to mount the horns with, so when I was making a delivery to a local truck trailer manufacturer here I asked if they just happened to have a small piece of scrap aluminum diamond plate that I could talk them out of. All they said they had was a piece of stuff that was 3/8" thick. I said that would be perfect, and it was! They gave me an 8" square piece of the stuff. So with scrap and horns in hand, I set myself to work today.

I cut a new mounting bar similar to the one for the stock left horn with the exception of being 6" long. I pulled the stock horn and mounting bar from that location and mounted the new bar and horn in that location. I then pulled the panel for the cassette deck. I routed all of my wiring up through a gap on the inside and hooked up my relay there as well as securing the relay to the front part of that compartment. I still had plenty of room to reinstall the cassette deck. I had wired the horns up exactly as the instructions directed me to. Got everything hooked up, tucked everything away, turned the key and hit the horn button. To my exuberant glee the horns blew triumphantly. I've got horns!

Next I plan on fabricating a new mounting bar for the right side horn, I'm gonna put a matching unit over on the right side.:D I also plan on adding an upward extension of the bar directly over the horn to facilitate mounting an additional headlight just above the horn. That is, unless I find a better place to mount additional headlights.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone happen to know where there might be a couple of up-close-and-personal shots of the Stebel installation location? (top, side, back view would be great. (the link below, if it went to these shots, is dead; FATAL ERROR message.)

Either I'm not understanding exactly how/where the little devil gets mounted, or Stebel has changed the casting so that it mounts differently than it used to.

The one I just bought (a new chrome Stebel Compact) has a protrusion out the top-back with a VERTICAL hole drilled in it. The bolt on the engine (near the horn) (referred to in other posts) which secures the grounding strap, is also of the VERTICAL persuasion. This kinda suggests that just a straight, flat bracket with a hole in each end would secure the horn.

I'm able to shoot and post pictures of what I'M looking at, but thought I'd save "re-inventing the wheel" if there are already some pix on the site that will straighten my little brain out!

Thanks for any info, guys!

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STEBEL_COMPA CT_CHROME&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns

Included are a couple of pic's on how they look on the bike. For mounting the horn I used an "L" bracket Bolted to where the Grounding strap mounts onto the engine. and mounted the relay under the cover just beside the right foot of the passanger.

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STEBEL_COMPACT_CHROME&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...