IGNORED

Air Horn install - Stebel

Gained

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a question here is it the loudest horn on the market? Because Im looking for something very loud.

I don't know if it's the loudest, but at 139db it's loud enough for me!!

I was playing around with it late last night and bumped the wires on the battery just to hear it. I nearly s**t myself!!

I finally got my Stebel air horn mounted up. After making a small bracket I mounted it where the stock horn was at on the right side of the bike. Pictures are below of the install and what the bracket looks like.

I didn't use the stock horn wiring thou as I wanted to give the horns as much power as was possible from the battery. I ran a completely separate wiring set up by running a 16 gauge wire from the battery , thru a covered rubber mini-fuse holder, and then to the relays #30 post. For the activation wire I used the right side stock horn wire which has power on when the key is on which goes to the #86 post of the relay. Going from the #87 post of the relay I ran the wire to the + post of the air horn. The - post of the air horn I grounded at the air horn mounting bolt. To activeate the horn I then run a 20 guage wire from the other stock horn terminal (That wire runs to the horn button) to the #85 post of the relay.

Once you press the horn button it'll ground the horn relay allowing power to flow thru from the battery to the horn IF you turn on the key first.

The bracket is 1/8" ( 10 gauge) stainless steel x 3" long bent in the middle at 90*. A 1/4" hole for the mounting bolt at the engine case ( where the groung strap is at) and a 5/16" hole for the bolt attaching the air horn to it. If you look closely you'll also see a notch I cut out to clear the rib of the clutch housing.

I also have a second set of Stebel magnum horns (electric) mounted on the bike too. One is under the fairing and the other is under left lower cowling in the stock location. I had these mounted previously but wasn't sure if they were as loud as could be being under cover. Yes they are louder than the stock beepers were.

Did I need both set ups? Probably not but if for any reason the air horn fails there's the other two to for back up. All are on the same circut described above. To me the sound level appears to be about the same. Maybe the air horn a bit more which I attribute to being out in the open.

Larry

I didn't see any photos on my end, but I think I have figured it out as well.

I run twin Fiamms horns in the front fairing as well. With those and the Stebel hooked up, I should be able to easily grease the pants of anyone coming over on me! :rotf:

I didn't see any photos on my end, but I think I have figured it out as well.

I run twin Fiamms horns in the front fairing as well. With those and the Stebel hooked up, I should be able to easily grease the pants of anyone coming over on me! :rotf:

My thoughts exactly too. I had to go back and resize the pics as they were too big

Larry

OK, so me, Carbon_One and some others just bought the compact Nautilus from Stebel and now they are promoting "more chrome" on these new units. The price was around $42. The standard model with less chrome is about $36. So what do you get for the extra $6??

See photos.....what you get are chromed plastic covers for the horn diaphragms on the unit. Not so bad I suppose.

Since tthe back side of the horn is not seen, I removed this one from the horn and will keep it as a spare in case I lose the one outboard or scratch it up.

$6 for a little extra bling?

Yeah, I'll pay that...:cool10:

Enjoy!

OK, so me, Carbon_One and some others just bought the compact Nautilus from Stebel and now they are promoting "more chrome" on these new units. The price was around $42. The standard model with less chrome is about $36. So what do you get for the extra $6??

See photos.....what you get are chromed plastic covers for the horn diaphragms on the unit. Not so bad I suppose.

Since tthe back side of the horn is not seen, I removed this one from the horn and will keep it as a spare in case I lose the one outboard or scratch it up.

$6 for a little extra bling?

Yeah, I'll pay that...:cool10:

Enjoy!

Good idea on saving that back cover. Like you say it's hardly noticable.

Larry

I see a lot of you guys face the horns to the outside. I know it's loud and all but facing it forward really puts the sound where it needs to be. :) I just made a bracket and twisted it so that it would face forward. I doesn't interfere with my legs or the passenger's legs. Just a thought...

I gotta get me a chrome one now! :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=4949&d=1167430777

Ok folks I'm going to offer mounting brackets for these air horns to be mounted where the right side stock horn currently sits. I should know in a day or two how much they'll cost you all.

They'll be made of stainless steel and polished.

I'll post back here with pics and details later. look for my ad in the classified as well once I get this off the ground.

Larry

Ok folks I'm going to offer mounting brackets for these air horns to be mounted where the right side stock horn currently sits. I should know in a day or two how much they'll cost you all.

They'll be made of stainless steel and polished.

I'll post back here with pics and details later. look for my ad in the classified as well once I get this off the ground.

Larry

Larry U have the diamiondR horn plate that goes behind the horn...anychance this would work with your mounts?

Salty

Larry U have the diamiondR horn plate that goes behind the horn...anychance this would work with your mounts?

Salty

Hi Salty

Ok I just took a look at the DiamondR horn plate. While I do think you could use that plate with the Stebel air horn it's not compatable with my bracket. Also that plate would cause the air horn to protude out further than my bracket & horn combination.

My bracket will allow the Stebel horn to be tucked back into the horn area more. Basicly it's a "L" shaped piece of stainless steel that will bolt to the same bolt that is the battery ground strap bolt.

Go to page 4 post #32 of this topic and you'll see the pics I put up of my bracket fastened to the air horn before and after it's mounted to the bike.

Larry

Larry, I made mine where it drops down from the ground attatchment and makes a U turn and the horn sits on the bracket !!! no chance of it comming off even if it loosens. a little cold to go out and take pic's but I think its a good design.:confused24:

Gary

Larry, I made mine where it drops down from the ground attatchment and makes a U turn and the horn sits on the bracket !!! no chance of it comming off even if it loosens. a little cold to go out and take pic's but I think its a good design.:confused24:

Gary

Can't visualize that right off but there's always more than one way to do the job.

Larry