IGNORED

Went truck shopping today.

RDawson

I’ve always been a Chevy guy and though I haven’t always bought new all my new ones were Chevy. I bought a new ‘21 Silverado in March of ‘21, the bumper to bumper is about up so I considered trading while it still has value. While the trade in offers were respectable the price of new has increased over 33% in 28 months on comparable trucks. I have a 2.1% interest on mine and they’re talking 7-9% now with excellent credit. Put those together and with 22% down  my payment would go up 50%. I don’t know if this a push to go electric or what but I guess I’ll drive the wheels off what I’ve got. Depressing to be old enough to remember my first new full size single cab short bed set me back a whopping $12k. 

Well I guess an option is an aftermarket extended warranty if your that worried about things. I get calls every week my vehicle warranty is about to expire on my 2012 Ram with 130k on it. Seriously if its a 21 and you put 12k a year on it, I would think your at least 2-3 years from any kind of problems.

19 minutes ago, djh3 said:

Well I guess an option is an aftermarket extended warranty if your that worried about things. I get calls every week my vehicle warranty is about to expire on my 2012 Ram with 130k on it. Seriously if its a 21 and you put 12k a year on it, I would think your at least 2-3 years from any kind of problems.

Yeah I get those calls too, I trust them about as much as I trust the software that stops those calls🤣. I just considered trading before the warranty expires, the value drops faster after the warranty ends. The amount of technology in todays trucks worries me. 

IMHO Keep the Truck. Prices are up for a lot of reasons but they took advantage of the 'chip shortage' and the pandemic.  Dealers were adding a 10 - 40% upcharge and they don't want to give up those profits.  The used car market was also through the roof. The trucks today are not worth what they are asking. Dealers are still wanting to sell at MSRP -1 or 2%.  About a year ago I told multiple dealers I might consider 2% below invoice. Digging into this Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota increased their 'invoice' by an average 25% in 2022 over earlier estimates (early 2020). Toyota's increase was the least 7%. I bought a used F150 overpriced at 12,000.  I put another 2K in ball joints, a new computer module, tune up, oil change etc etc. That was far better than the 65K for a new model with similar trim and accessories. It has 120K miles on it and runs well.  I drive it less than 5000 miles a year and I expect it will last me another 7 - 10 years.

6 years ago we bought an '06 Tahoe for Loretta with 177K miles. It was fully loaded and I got it for $5400.00, a steal at the time as KBB was 11K and I knew the owner of the shop that had done all work on it since the warranty expired so 12+ years. Over the 6 years I've spent about 3,000 on it total, including tires (My son works at Discount Tire to I reaped those benefits) and other maintenance. It now has about 230K + miles. 

You may have read my recent post about buying a new Nissan Titan Pro4X.  The dealer that was 5 hours away discounted it $7k and then financed it a 0% with a doc fee as the only adder.  Some dealers are giving discounts now if you shop around.  I found this dealer by searching Autotrader.  I think RAM is giving 10% discounts now.  The CEO of GM shut down the production line for two weeks on their trucks to prevent an excess of supply and to keep prices up.  I'm 79 and my last 4 trucks have been Fords but I'm fairly brand neutral in my old age.  I bought my wife an Infiniti 9 years ago and it now has about 56k miles on it and it has had zero problems.  I love my new Titan all except for the new price and the cost of the insurance and property taxes!!  And the Titans have a 5 year, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found what I wanted at a better price. 2023 LT-1LT Z71 crew cab $12,000 below MSRP and they gave me a solid trade in on my truck. Getting hard to find chrome bumpers anymore, they want to paint them all. E7B7218C-5999-453C-A677-180A1BE9B32C.jpeg.de570a87cacb666b1126d1abc5aea6c3.jpegHad to drive 3 1/2 hours one way to get it. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RDawson said:

Well I found what I wanted at a better price. 2023 LT-1LT Z71 crew cab $12,000 below MSRP and they gave me a solid trade in on my truck. Getting hard to find chrome bumpers anymore, they want to paint them all. E7B7218C-5999-453C-A677-180A1BE9B32C.jpeg.de570a87cacb666b1126d1abc5aea6c3.jpegHad to drive 3 1/2 hours one way to get it. 

Good choice, not that's it's perfect, but better than most.

On 7/23/2023 at 10:04 PM, Marcarl said:

Good choice, not that's it's perfect, but better than most.

On 7/23/2023 at 9:49 PM, RDawson said:

Getting hard to find chrome bumpers anymore, they want to paint them all. Had to drive 3 1/2 hours one way to get it. 

What bumpers :think: