IGNORED

Maintenance Day Needs

V7Goose

I know this is kinda late before Don's maintenance day, but just thought I'd check while making plans on what to bring:

I'm just riding up for the heck of it - nothing I really need, so I am available to help with anything. I know Don has a tire changing machine, so let me know if anyone wants to change tires there so I can bring some balance weights, rim protectors, etc.

Windshield mods? I will bring my hole saw - if anyone wants to put in a set of pop vents you have time to order them for delivery to Don's if you do it NOW. Get them from Aircraftspruce.com. I think I have one set of vents I can bring with me. I can also help with cutting down a shield if anyone is interested. I'll bring a hollow-ground blade and hope Don has a jig saw.

LED lights (engine highlights, extra brake or signal lights, etc.)? Order them now from JCW or superbrightleds.com for delivery to Don's and they will be there by the weekend. Superbrightleds normally gets stuff here in three days, and JC Whitney is almost a quick for many things. If somebody will tell me what they intend to do with lights I can make sure I have whatever wires, fuses and relays might be necessary. But be quick, I plan on leaving here Wednesday morning, as I gotta run through North Carolina on my way up there to pick up new pipes.

Gauges - these are a little trickier, since the problem includes deciding how and where you want to mount them. But I can pick up the 1 7/8" white ones I used on my 07 here, or you can order the black ones from JCW now. Even if we cannot complete mounting them in one day, I can show you how to set everything up - it is quite easy.

Mounting air horns, making extensions for the light bar mounting spacers, changing bolts for trunk rack, etc. Most of these are easy, but do require buying a few parts (like bolts) ahead of time. If you tell me what you want, I'll see if I can bring the necessary stuff with me.

Don't know if anyone is interested in these offers, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Ride safe and see you in a week,

Goose

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Goose I'll take opportunity to book you for Coolant and Front Brake /Clatch fluid change with Speed Bleaders.Or if you can supervise what i'm doing thats gonna help. Beside that only carb sinc is due on my bike. Hope you are not over booked. I'll buy a beer for refreshment:cool10:

I want to do the colortune and re-synch. Just synched em today, but that's for the trip up. Workin' on getting the plastic back on. I think I covered everything else while I had it tore apart. I'm bringing the valve shim kit with me (BuddyRich's) to show folks how to do the valve adjustment. Hope Don has a 30mm socket and 1/2" drive ratchet!!!!!

These things are soooo easy to work on, but I did my valve adjustment on the bench!!!

Thanks Goose,

Dan

Marcarl.....SHHHhhhhhhhhhh.....let them get here before we break the news. :)

Goose, I have the tire changer..not bolted down but we can figure something out. I have a jig saw, good cordless drill, air compressor, colortune, carbtune, swr meter and adapters, etc. I don't have the rim protectors and etc. for the tire changer.

Marcarl.....SHHHhhhhhhhhhh.....let them get here before we break the news. :)

Goose, I have the tire changer..not bolted down but we can figure something out. I have a jig saw, good cordless drill, air compressor, colortune, carbtune, swr meter and adapters, etc. I don't have the rim protectors and etc. for the tire changer.

Don, I chose to use lead anchors and bolt my changer to a corner of the driveway - couldn't be more secure! When I am not using it I just put short cap bolts in the holes to keep the dirt out. But I learned you CANNOT use lag bolts - way too soft! Must be machine bolts. Many guys have said they are happy with it bolted to a piece of 3/4" plywood, but I haven't tried that (I am sure it would be fine). Do you have bolts we can use (and appropriate wood or anchors for concrete?), or do I need to bring some? I will bring everything else needed for the tires.

For anyone else who may need tires, feel free to buy and bring 'em on! Changing the tire on the rim takes only 5 -10 minutes, so we can do as many as needed - no limit! If you order from SWMototire now, they will have them delivered in 3 - 4 days if they have them in stock; send 'em to Don's. If you want the front tire done, bring some blue locktite for the rotor bolts (I'll have the star socket needed). My policy is to remove both rotors (only takes a minute or two) to insure NO damage to the brake rotors. The rear wheel will fit with the rotor on the bottom, so no need to remove it.

Goose

Goose

I am interested in the set of vents if you still have them. I am going to Maintenance Day at Don's and wondered if you have the vents, if you would have time to put them in for me?

I just checked - have one set of used vents you can have for $10 - we can put them in in about 20 minutes. If you don't like the used ones, you can just pop new ones you order in the same holes!

For those wanting to change coolant, I am not an expert on this, but should be straight forward. I will have the shop manual on my computer. When you buy the coolant, just make sure it is labeled as safe for aluminum engines.

I can pretty much sync carbs now with my eyes closed, but I am sure we will have plenty of others there that can do that too. I don't know squat about the colortune, so I'll leave that to others who do.

Goose

V7Goose

Sounds great in regards to the vents. Would appreciate you making time to put them on for me. By the way, I will be driving an '08 RSV Black Cherry / Black. I have had it just over a month and already have over 4000 miles on it.

I am really looking forward to meeting everyone. We are leaving Wednesday and taking the scenic route. See you all there!:cool10:

Doing tire changes, are you? Will you install a car tire?

Well, PERSONALLY, I won't mount a Metzeler or a car tire to an RSV rim, but anybody else that wants to shouldn't have any problem getting it done - the moves are all the same, no matter what tire you are putting on. You know what they say - watch one, do one, teach one!

Goose

I know this is kinda late before Don's maintenance day, but just thought I'd check while making plans on what to bring:

I'm just riding up for the heck of it - nothing I really need, so I am available to help with anything. I know Don has a tire changing machine, so let me know if anyone wants to change tires there so I can bring some balance weights, rim protectors, etc.

Windshield mods? I will bring my hole saw - if anyone wants to put in a set of pop vents you have time to order them for delivery to Don's if you do it NOW. Get them from Aircraftspruce.com. I think I have one set of vents I can bring with me. I can also help with cutting down a shield if anyone is interested. I'll bring a hollow-ground blade and hope Don has a jig saw.

LED lights (engine highlights, extra brake or signal lights, etc.)? Order them now from JCW or superbrightleds.com for delivery to Don's and they will be there by the weekend. Superbrightleds normally gets stuff here in three days, and JC Whitney is almost a quick for many things. If somebody will tell me what they intend to do with lights I can make sure I have whatever wires, fuses and relays might be necessary. But be quick, I plan on leaving here Wednesday morning, as I gotta run through North Carolina on my way up there to pick up new pipes.

Gauges - these are a little trickier, since the problem includes deciding how and where you want to mount them. But I can pick up the 1 7/8" white ones I used on my 07 here, or you can order the black ones from JCW now. Even if we cannot complete mounting them in one day, I can show you how to set everything up - it is quite easy.

Mounting air horns, making extensions for the light bar mounting spacers, changing bolts for trunk rack, etc. Most of these are easy, but do require buying a few parts (like bolts) ahead of time. If you tell me what you want, I'll see if I can bring the necessary stuff with me.

Don't know if anyone is interested in these offers, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Ride safe and see you in a week,

Goose

HEY GOOSE. I WANT TO SAY HI AND PUT A NAME WITH A FACE. PLEASE PENCIL ME IN :thumbsup:

Don, I chose to use lead anchors and bolt my changer to a corner of the driveway - couldn't be more secure! When I am not using it I just put short cap bolts in the holes to keep the dirt out. But I learned you CANNOT use lag bolts - way too soft! Must be machine bolts. Many guys have said they are happy with it bolted to a piece of 3/4" plywood, but I haven't tried that (I am sure it would be fine). Do you have bolts we can use (and appropriate wood or anchors for concrete?), or do I need to bring some? I will bring everything else needed for the tires.

For anyone else who may need tires, feel free to buy and bring 'em on! Changing the tire on the rim takes only 5 -10 minutes, so we can do as many as needed - no limit! If you order from SWMototire now, they will have them delivered in 3 - 4 days if they have them in stock; send 'em to Don's. If you want the front tire done, bring some blue locktite for the rotor bolts (I'll have the star socket needed). My policy is to remove both rotors (only takes a minute or two) to insure NO damage to the brake rotors. The rear wheel will fit with the rotor on the bottom, so no need to remove it.

Goose

I do have the anchors. Maybe I'll have time to do it before Saturday so it will be ready. I also have blue locktite. I have the RSV service manual on computer and hard copy. I have the first gen manual on the computer only.

I might be interested in a carb sync,maybe lubing the fingers and since the original coolant is in there maybe we can change it out. I'm sure theres somewhere I can get some near Don's, don't think I'll be interested in schlepping it all the way down there.

Other than that, I won't need anything, but I'll be available to help out with anything in the garage. I carry my sockets and allen wrenches anyway so I'll have some tools but if I remember correctly, Don and Brad pretty have everything neeeded.

There's a Super Walmart and an Autozone about 4 miles up the road. There's a Honda/Suzuki dealership about 14 miles up the road so getting coolant and etc. should not be a problem.

Somebody mentioned that they hoped I have a 30 MM socket. The answer to that would be yes.

I have a guardian bell to swap. May be something a few others want to do as well. I'll check to see what parts / tools I can bring, but I have to pack light (going to Americade on the way out) so it may not be much. Most of what I plan to do for the day is minor and not urgent so if anyone needs a hand I can probably pitch in.

I do have the anchors. Maybe I'll have time to do it before Saturday so it will be ready. I also have blue locktite. I have the RSV service manual on computer and hard copy. I have the first gen manual on the computer only.

I have my 1st get manual (86 - 93) in hard copy. I can bring it with me.

My interest; is it possible to swap out the front rotors. My hand brake is a bit spongy. I picked up a set on e-bay and will bring some brake fluid as well. Anything else that may be needed?