IGNORED

car tire on a first gen

hipshot

NOW.

i have already read ALL the pros and cons, about car tires on a mc!

don't really want to read any more of that.

what i WANT to know, is, WILL a car tire work on a FIRST GEN?????has anyone found one that will fit?

i don't ride long distances to search for "twisties".

i don't ride hard!

i would rather take it slow, and easy,(that way i can say i went there and enjoyed it)and get the most miles for my buck.

MY top speed, is usually 5 mph, LOWER than the posted speed limit.

what i want is a long lasting tire, not a "sticky, peg scraping, sport rider" type of tire!

oh, by the way, i am NOT the only member to have asked this question.

other queries, got lost in the "flames".

just jt:confused24:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WIld hair reported earlier this week that he has had no problems so far on his recent trip... His thread is probably from last week. I might think about it when I wear this one out.

Dan

WIld hair reported earlier this week that he has had no problems so far on his recent trip... His thread is probably from last week. I might think about it when I wear this one out.

Dan

But it is not on the 1st gens, it is on the kaw (I checked).

I have not found a skinny enough tire to fit a 16" wheel. My Roadstar had a 16" wheel and I could not find a tire that would fit it.

The closest thing I could ever find is a 175/55R16 in Yokohama and it was 194 bux.

FLB_78...

Try this site... http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

I just bought a 155/80 R15 BF Goodrich through them...$77 delivered...I am putting it on my 99RSV next week.

I couldn't find any tire store anywhere around here that had them in stock. They were back ordered for months... This site had what I was looking for.

The 155 I got for my 2nd gen is comparable to the 150/90 15 that the specs call for...I'd try to stay at or slightly under the width called for, to avoid any rubbing on the drive shaft....

Guest Vermincelli

You can say it won't work or how dangerous it is, but if you actually bothered to research around you will find that many people have been riding on car tires for a looooong time (old Harley Riders were doing it in the 70's) with no problems at all and it seems to be a popular modification for alaska trips that end up with miles on gravel roads that chew up normal bike tires. I thought it was a bad idea until I started really researching it, and now I've changed my tune. Every forum that talks about it is always the same...bunch of riders who use car tires that have 10's of thousands of miles with no problems and those who've never tried it who say it can't be safe or won't work.

Oh, also car tires are even coming as stock tires on custom bikes now. So if you actually have proof that a car tire is dangerous or not even possible, you better start emailing everyone who's been using them and tell them, but make sure you set aside a week or two because you're going to have a heck of alot of riders with hundreds of thousands of road miles with no problems to convince.

oh, and just for fun...

http://asware.net/serendipity/uploads/mirror/BossHoss.jpg

nothing like a mickey thompson on a boss hoss. :)

Although i admit, it took me a little bit to actually see the tire in the pic.

Edited by Vermincelli

Folks...it's OK to debate an issue but this thread is turning into nothing but personal attacks. It is possible to disagree with an idea without taking personal shots at each other. I know that several people feel very strongly about this car tire idea but if the personal attacks can't be controlled, I will have to close and/or delete this thread.

When I looked at this a few years ago there were two avenues I wanted to follow,, but which unfortunately I had no chance to follow up.

One was to try out a London taxi tyre. They fit a 16" rim and are not too wide.

My understanding is that the bead is not the correct shape for a motorcycle rim, so while it may seal, in the event of a flat, it is more likely to come off the rim, just like a tube type tyre, which takes out a safety factor, but is not too great a risk imho. If memory serves the ridge for the bead is wider on bike rim than the car bead is wide. If it is the other way round, maybe you should consider fitting a tube. If you know it's okay and seals fine, great.

In the UK it has always been legal to use a car tyre, or a rear tyre on the front, if you drive with a sidecar.

The other possibility, which someone on a GSX1300 outfit shared with me a few years ago was that he was having m/c radial tyres remoulded with ford transit treads. I couldn't find anyone to do it though. He reported better wear and grip. Given that he was then using 150mph rated tyres at 80-90mph max he had no concerns about tyres shredding either. (There's the old chestnut - when you see shredded tyres on the motorway, what makes you think they were remoulds ?)

Looking through the Continental catalogue, http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/automobile/themes/tyretips/download/technical_databook_passenger_car_tyres_2008_en.pdf there is very little narrower than 185. On page 18 there is a 175/60 R16 available as a run-flat, but it is a winter tyre and might therefore get warm in the summer.

Page 36-7 has operating limits, and the width is given as 184-194mm based on 5J-6J rim. If that's a measurement in inches then it sounds as if the tyre would have to distort considerably to fit.

As an aside - probably of no use, the TEMPORARY use tyres on p64-5 have all sorts of interesting sizes, but they are designed for low speed use only. Maybe that's why the load indices are so high !

Page 65 has Vanco 175 tyres. The full specs are on p82 and show that it should fit a 4 1/2 J rim with a width of 179mm.

Maybe I'll check the Dunlop catalogue next. (They do the taxi tyres.)

Dunlop have the same size - 175/80 x16, but in some more interesting patterns.

I saw they have the Elite 3 Bias and Elite 3 Radial in 160/80 x16 with a load index of 80. This is higher than anything else I've seen (77) in the standard size. Has anyone tried this size ? Was it a good fit and did it last significantly longer than what you had before ?

I just replaced my front tire with a Metzler tire made in Brazil, and I have the Goodrich TA Radial for the rear ordered. It should be here by Friday, and the guys at the tire store will mount it at no charge. The Metzler I had on the rear lasted me about 9500 miles, maybe more, by the time the car tire arrives. I'll give you all a report about the handling after our trip to Nevada and Arizona in June. I really believe that some here have completely discredited themselves and really should remain out of any discussion about tires until maybe doing a little research. It would really be nice to have a discussion on this subject without being called stupid...

I agree with wizard if you don't have anything good to say on this topic to help someone then don't say anything. These people are looking for help ,not negitave feedback. I also belong to the VTX riders and a lot of them run car tires. One of my friends runs one on his 1800 and has 75,000 on his bike with a car tire and you can't keep up with him in the twistys . each to his own

P S can't we all get along.

:bighug:

• 1 month later...

Thid debate still fascinates me. There are very good mc tires with flat profiles that will work just as good. The first that comes to mind is the Dunlop 491 that came as an oem tire in the 80's. Then there are Kendra tires that are dirty cheap. eat'em up, buy more. Then theres JC Whitney that still sells flat profile tires for old brit bike that would be Ideal. Car tires aren't bad but not the only option.

If I remember correctly , my 85 Venture ran a 140/90 16 rear....

and the comparable (85)V-Max was a 150/90 15 (I am pretty sure anyway)...

Running the Max rim will change a lot more than just the tire size you can use. You will be changing the entire attitude of the bike and that could have a lot of effect on handling...I can't say if it will be good or bad...but you'll change the rake or angle that the forks will align to the profile of the bike, because you will force the rear end to sit lower by however much smaller the Max rim and tire are compared to the Venture rim and tire...Like I said, that may result in a difference in handling....I just don't know if it will be good or bad....but probably worth finding out about....

My first concern would be width of the CT on a V-Max rim you are thinking of running...

Since the First Gen ran a narrower tire than the V-Max, I have to believe that the clearances under the First Gen fender would be narrower as well....

The best thing to do here, would be pull your rear off the the First Gen and do some measuring...

I have a BF Goodrich T/A Radial on my 99 RSV, and I have a good half inch clearance on either side, measuring in the tightest area, (shaft to tire). Keep in mind the second Gens run the same size rim as the V-Max, so clearances would be appropriate to accommodate same.....

I am guessing that a quarter inch of clearance will be sufficient, depending on the loads you'll carry and the air pressure you'll run...

I can give you some measurements from my tire/rim if it will help you decide the way to go...since you'd be going to that approx size anyway if you use a V-Max rim....

Lemme know if you want to measurments

Hi Squeeze,

There's a few V-Max outfits about and I haven't heard of them having trouble with the wheels. The weight is a little less, but the power's a lot more, so the side loads in cornering could well be more.

Do you think they go straight on ?

Regarding the Hub Spline and Brake Disc Mounting Area, i think the Measurements are exactly the same and will fit bolt on.

I don't think the Vmax Load Index, even at higher Speeds will compare to the Loads of a 1Gen. You're comparing Apples and Oranges here. Only Answer would be to ask Yamaha about the Vmax Rim tech Specs.

Other than this, it's all about Tire Diameter. If you lower the rear on the Venture, you will have to have a Lot of persuasive Power to corner the Bike.

The preferred car tyre of choice many years ago on 15" rims was a Citroen 2CV tyre. I have one on my old Suzi GT550 outfit (long story). It was not low profile, so the overall diameter may be similar to the VR wheel. I ned to go to my other lock up and measure it.

lack of ground clearance is a problem on my bike, but I am planning to fit a stronger spring to lift it up again and I had my shock made 1/2" longer than standard which will compensate.

BJ Pennetelpel, I did try a Kenda tyre a few years back, but it was worn out in under a thousand miles. That's no use for me when I'm planning a touring holiday.

Squeeze, it's the cornering loads that are important on a bike and sidecar. If there is a published figure, it would be good to know, but the manufacturers don't tend to want to endorse any uses they didn't design for. I have a feeling that they don't recommend fitting sidecars at all to any of their bikes.

Thebighop, my Venture has a large sidecar attached, so I have no concerns about leaning through corners - the bike stays fairly flat. There really aren't many tyres at all with a suitable load rating. Avon SM tyres take quite a high loading, but that's when you're thinking of older, lighter bikes. (I have SM11s front and back on my XJ750 sidecar, for which they are great.) The change will have negligible effect on the rake and trail on the front, in any case.

Okay no ct for my Honda or Venture but my sidecar rig For that I would consider it for all the reasons mentioned . The problem is the narrow wheel, what could possible be narrow enough and readily available to fit an XS1100 front and back. I normally run the cheapest tires I can get because I'm lucky to get two seasons of riding out of them. At high speeds and excelleration rigs "crabwalk" or do a slight sideways slide it eats up a tire faster. Okays guys what can you recommend? Phil.