IGNORED

car tire on a first gen

hipshot

Thebighop, my Venture has a large sidecar attached, so I have no concerns about leaning through corners - the bike stays fairly flat. There really aren't many tyres at all with a suitable load rating. Avon SM tyres take quite a high loading, but that's when you're thinking of older, lighter bikes. (I have SM11s front and back on my XJ750 sidecar, for which they are great.) The change will have negligible effect on the rake and trail on the front, in any case.

I respectfully disagree with your last comment...at least in relation to a 2nd Gen without a side car...

I installed the leveling links which raise the rear end of the bike approx. 3/4 of an inch. The result is a lighter feeling front end and loss of the top heavy feeling, due to the change in rake...It is minor to say the least, but had a huge impact on the handling, especially in slow maneuvers like parking.

I don't know how much having a side car changes all that, but I do know that regardless of side car or not..changing to a V-Max rim is going to drop your rear end by .66 inches, based on using a 155/80 R15 BF Goodrich T/A Radial, and that is going to change your rake, maybe not so you notice with the side care, but without it, it would be a considerable difference.

Edited by thebighop

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks...it's OK to debate an issue but this thread is turning into nothing but personal attacks. It is possible to disagree with an idea without taking personal shots at each other. I know that several people feel very strongly about this car tire idea but if the personal attacks can't be controlled, I will have to close and/or delete this thread.

I'm getting here late... Don did the personal attacks get deleted? I don't see them.

• 2 weeks later...

i have 15,000 0n my CT now,still looks pretty new'so far my only complant is,it is a lot more sinsity to unever serfices,expecity at 10 to 30 mph ,corse it's a COWASAKI, so that may account for,this short comming,at least i don't have to change tires each time i change oil

lowell

i have 15,000 0n my CT now,still looks pretty new'so far my only complant is,it is a lot more sinsity to unever serfices,expecity at 10 to 30 mph ,corse it's a COWASAKI, so that may account for,this short comming,at least i don't have to change tires each time i change oil

lowell

Glad to hear that Lowell. You need to :photographing: of that tire so we can see how well it is not wearing.

Well, remember on the 1st Gen, You Cannot Increase the Width of the rear tire

Cause there Ain't no more space tween the tire and the Drive Shaft.

I spent couple hours 2 weeks ago, searching Car Tire Web sites, and I could not find a Car Tire, in 16 Inch, that was Narrow enough to fit.

Closest I could come was some 16 inch tires for the Old Volkswagen Bus Vehical

However I would assume they were pretty Old Technology tires. But not sure.

If I could find one that would fit, I would give it a try. I have a spare wheel for my 89.

But so far, no luck finding one to fit .

However I was wondering, if a 2nd Gen Swing Arm would work on a 1st Gen.

This might give the required clearance, if sombody wanted to try it.

Anyway, I ordered a new Dunlop Elite III, will stick with those for now. $106 deliverd from RonAyers.com GreenVille N.C. Get them before they run out if you want one for your 1st Gen !!!!

lowell

here is the picture

Histry Shmistry... I'm just trying to help out you antique collectors...

Okay near as I can tell is 175/75-16 is the closest size that anyone actually still makes and it's claimed to be 1.4" wider... but that's probably not the actual width when you squeeze it on a 4" rim..

Here's a link to the calculator I used... It doesn't copy and paste too good... pwobably javascwipt

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Hi maineac, did you post the right link ? This one just compares tyre sizes - it doesn't tell you the effect of changing the rim diameter.

To save anyone else going there, the overall diameter 'should' be 0.41" greater with the car tyre - nearly as much as the difference between a worn and a new tyre.

The width diference should be 1.38", or 15mm less clearance on each side.

Maybe a bit of exercise with a file would be enough ??:fingers-crossed-emo

PS conventional wisdom is that using a wider rim gives you a lower profile and wider tread, a narrower rim gives you a higher, possibly more rounded profile, but also narrower tread width.

4" to 3" is a fair difference in rim size, though, and could affect lateral stability of the tyre when you slam an outfit through the bends.

I've been looking out for something that might fit, but not find a car tyre yet that will (see page one of the thread). The 175 might be close, but I suspect it will contact - I haven't bought one just to see, though.

I've always had Continentals on the back, except for a short lived mistake with a Kenda, the Chen Shin Hi-max that I fitted to get me home and the current Avon as I couldn't get a Conti.

The first bike I saw with a CT was an 1800 VTX Honda with 16" rim running a Goodyear very sharp looking tire. This tire may fit as the Honda has an enclosed shaft like the Venture. This is the best looking CT I've seen on a bike and the guy said it seemed to do OK with no complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

For what is it worth I read all the posts regarding car tires on the Ventures so I can learn as much as I can before I make up my mind.

As far as some of the questions on sizes, I relied on my years of foreign car experience and came up with the following:

There were two cars sold in the USA, that had tire size close to the stock Ventures. They were the VW Beetle and the 140's series Volvo's both circa early 70's.

................................Venture ...................VW/Volvo tire ...............Difference

Rim…………………………….4.00”…………………………….4-5.5” width range

Tire…………………………….150/90-15…………………….165/80-15

Overall diameter………..25.60”…………………………..25.40”……………………………….-.20”

Overall width………………6.02”……………………………..6.4”…………………………………..+.38”

Now for the availability of tire that sizes it may be a little difficult.

So far I have only tracked down two brands: Kumho-758 (see photo #1) and Nexen SB802 (see photo #2). Although these may work, I believe they are more auto oriented with a very flat tread area. The one tire I think that would work better is the Michelin ZXZ (see photo #3). I used this tire years ago on my cars. I found it to be quiet, normal longevity, good traction in dry or wet and most important it has a gradual change from tread to side wall compared to the other two, and I believe these qualities lend themselves better for motorcycle use. Hope this helps.

And for those of you with 2nd Generation with 16" if I come up with anything I will post it.

Edited by Ferrantelli

• 5 months later...

Ferrantelli, don’t you have your tire size wrong for a 1st gen venture? It should be a 16 rim.

I have both a 1st gen Venture and a 85 VMax. They both have new tires on them. When one wears out I am going to try to switch the VMax rim to the Venture and mount a c/t. I will post back to this thread. It may be a year from now. The VMax will get a different rim and chain drive, but that is a different forum.

Cody

I didn't get anywhere with finding a place that would do it. I didn't try all that hard as there aren't suitable places locally (that I found, anyway), but I think you would need to know someone there to do it as a favour - someone who was sure that you are sensible, would use it in a reasonable way and would not come back at them if it did not work out.

It would certainly be seen as 'bending the rules' and most places I would expect to not do that for someone who just came in 'off the street'.

Ferrantelli, don’t you have your tire size wrong for a 1st gen venture? It should be a 16 rim.

I have both a 1st gen Venture and a 85 VMax. They both have new tires on them. When one wears out I am going to try to switch the VMax rim to the Venture and mount a c/t. I will post back to this thread. It may be a year from now. The VMax will get a different rim and chain drive, but that is a different forum.

Cody

My specs. are for the 2nd Generation!

I have no info for the 1st Generation!:confused24:

Here is another link to another forum. I ran a ct on my 1800 vtx and loved it. In the rain I had no problems coming to a stop. No sliding at all.The tire just grabbed. The slow turn around was different, but once you got use to it , no problem. I have heard that it makes the front tire last a bit longer too. Ride safe.

Riding on the Darkside