IGNORED

car tire on a first gen

hipshot

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

OK, here I am, getting another 1st Gen Ven delivered to me on Friday (feel like a kid waiting for Christmas) and having owned 4 1st Gens back in the day. Now for the serious part. Has ANYONE been able to come up with fitting a CT on the 1st Gen. It had been so long since I'd been exposed to one, that when I did the research on R&Ring the rear wheel, I pretty much decided time to break-out the CT. It's not like changing the rear wheel on a GL18, which is like an afternoon in the park on a sunny spring day in comparison. That's some serious work, getting the 1st gen changed out. I want to do it once in a looooooong time and having already ran a CT on a GL18, I know the results if you get the size right the 1st time. Anyway, I'm here to stay with my newly aquired 89 Venture. Any and all info regarding the "magic number" for the tire size would be greatly appreciated. TV :scratchchin:

Our London buddy had a good idea.

If it was me, I would search out a tire retread business and see if they could put a C/T cap on a M/C tire. Might even be able to choose the tread design.

I am pretty sure that won't work, the molds that you retread in are very specific, certain cap for a certain casing, but its been many years since I have capped a tire, we sold our molds in the late 80's when state tire contracts made new tires cheaper than recapping materials. So they may have a different process now. But I don't think I would trust a recap on a bike.

Gregg

• 2 months later...

I am new here and new to the the 86 venture I just bought and was wondering about car tires on bikes, but I got to say something when I hear someone talking about recaps on a bike, i drove over the the road and have seen many recaps fly apart in hot weather and it is againest the law to run them on the front of big trucks, for the same reason i would not run them on a bike, no way shape or form, just to dangerous I would say, my two cents worth.

How about the date code on tires, if you can get alot more miles out of a car tire would the time limet of 6 years run out before the tread wears out, just a tought, you may have allready had this conversation.

Love this site

thanks