IGNORED

Done at 65000 miles?

RDawson

Had my surgery last Tuesday and started my PT today. My wife knows the therapist and had told her about our summer trip plans to make MD and then go to Niagra Falls for a couple of days. After trying to discourage it because of the surgery and me laughing at her we talked bikes. She and her husband had a new HD delivered this morning, she explained that their old 2014 had 65000 miles on it and that's just too many miles on a motorcycle to go touring on. I know I poke the bear here sometimes with HD jokes in good fun but HD has stepped up their game and have friends with 100k on their HDs. She asked me if I would keep mine with that many miles, I couldn't help myself but say my 07 just got her 1st valve adjustment at 45k (bought it last year with 31k) and guessing it won't be opened up again til about that many more. We are cosidering retirement next year or two and plan to start heavy touring about when it hits 60-70k. She looked at me crazy when I told her I expect 200k minimum miles. I've never owned a HD, not my cup of tea, to each their own but can't imagine paying those prices thinking I'll only get less than 100k.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A guy who attends the monthly retirement luncheon I occasionally go to got over 180,000 miles out of his HD. But, he said he never rode over 65mph even when touring out west. Right after he told me that, he traded for a new HD. Me, I don't want anything I have to baby to get the miles out of it.

The big twin HD engines, specifically speaking of the Pan/Shovel's, Shovels, Evo's and Twin Cams (I know nothing of the 4 valve Milwaukee 8 - have yet to get my grubby little fingers on one and know from experience that the Flat Heads and "J" motors take a LOT of on road tweekin to keep em going) were/are actually pretty solid motors for an Air Cooled V-Twin with a "fork n knife" rod arrangement. My 78 Shovel Lowrider had just over 100K on her when I offed her to build a garage back in 82. I won her brand new on a Job Site raffle and rode the socks off her. For a Bowling Pin bike (AMF) she proved amazingly durable. Yes,, I did have to spin some wrenches to get er there and YES, the next owner was aware that the next 50k was gonna get pricey as the bottom end was spinning really loose.

The Evo's proved even more durable than the Shovels due to some top end changes and the Twin Cam's even more so IF the rider/owner knew about the oil pump/Cam Chain Tensioner issues (major crisis if not) and addressed them headon. I have own numerous T.C.'s, built one with a gear drive blower on it and they always left me with good vibes.

The key to HD is to realise their limitations in design. If your gonna alter em (building HD's is FUN cause EVERYTHING imaginable in "building needs" is only a click away - also, HD puts out a Performance Parts Book every year - FOR FREE - that has a TON of building stuff in it WITH DYNO GRAPHS showing the builder what to expect - it's lists of cam grinds w/ or w/o valve over lap is to die for), it's best to understand piston speed, RPM limits, have a good idea of where/what your looking for in challenging those speeds and get friendly with Loctite and Torque Wrenches and understand that all gains get charged x2, once up front in time and money and then in loss of how long the engine is going to last - nature of the beast. The better bet, especially for the touring rider IMHO, is to just run em stock (except for tuners to tune for effeciency) and be happy with the 60 to 75 horses you have to work with. Get use to short shifting in the low R torque range and, as a result, shifting a lot.

Now for the Yamaha,, yep,, 200k,, no problembo.. Get this Corporal Newkirk,, I know this will cause pause for some folks but in over 1 million miles of riding out 6 1st Gen's (still working on #6 ) I have NEVER set the valve lash. I have had to do a fair amount of "updating" in my time but those were just early model design flaws that had to be done. Truthfully,, I was very hard on my bikes and asked wayyyy to much of them BUT,, they took a licken and kept on ticken. Truthfully,, knowing what I know about them (1st Gens), I have no doubt that by following the factory maintenance schedule and actually being mindful of groan. moans and maintenance needs,, these V-4 touring scoots will/would/should/could see +400k if ridden reasonably. IMHO, another huge secret to getting there is not letting the bike set for long periods of time and keep it away from power washers.

THanks for the post Corporal!! Talkin scoots is fun! :big-grin-emoticon:

The big twin HD engines, specifically speaking of the Pan/Shovel's, Shovels, Evo's and Twin Cams (I know nothing of the 4 valve Milwaukee 8 - have yet to get my grubby little fingers on one and know from experience that the Flat Heads and "J" motors take a LOT of on road tweekin to keep em going) were/are actually pretty solid motors for an Air Cooled V-Twin with a "fork n knife" rod arrangement. My 78 Shovel Lowrider had just over 100K on her when I offed her to build a garage back in 82. I won her brand new on a Job Site raffle and rode the socks off her. For a Bowling Pin bike (AMF) she proved amazingly durable. Yes,, I did have to spin some wrenches to get er there and YES, the next owner was aware that the next 50k was gonna get pricey as the bottom end was spinning really loose.

The Evo's proved even more durable than the Shovels due to some top end changes and the Twin Cam's even more so IF the rider/owner knew about the oil pump/Cam Chain Tensioner issues (major crisis if not) and addressed them headon. I have own numerous T.C.'s, built one with a gear drive blower on it and they always left me with good vibes.

The key to HD is to realise their limitations in design. If your gonna alter em (building HD's is FUN cause EVERYTHING imaginable in "building needs" is only a click away - also, HD puts out a Performance Parts Book every year - FOR FREE - that has a TON of building stuff in it WITH DYNO GRAPHS showing the builder what to expect - it's lists of cam grinds w/ or w/o valve over lap is to die for), it's best to understand piston speed, RPM limits, have a good idea of where/what your looking for in challenging those speeds and get friendly with Loctite and Torque Wrenches and understand that all gains get charged x2, once up front in time and money and then in loss of how long the engine is going to last - nature of the beast. The better bet, especially for the touring rider IMHO, is to just run em stock (except for tuners to tune for effeciency) and be happy with the 60 to 75 horses you have to work with. Get use to short shifting in the low R torque range and, as a result, shifting a lot.

Now for the Yamaha,, yep,, 200k,, no problembo.. Get this Corporal Newkirk,, I know this will cause pause for some folks but in over 1 million miles of riding out 6 1st Gen's (still working on #6 ) I have NEVER set the valve lash. I have had to do a fair amount of "updating" in my time but those were just early model design flaws that had to be done. Truthfully,, I was very hard on my bikes and asked wayyyy to much of them BUT,, they took a licken and kept on ticken. Truthfully,, knowing what I know about them (1st Gens), I have no doubt that by following the factory maintenance schedule and actually being mindful of groan. moans and maintenance needs,, these V-4 touring scoots will/would/should/could see +400k if ridden reasonably. IMHO, another huge secret to getting there is not letting the bike set for long periods of time and keep it away from power washers.

THanks for the post Corporal!! Talkin scoots is fun! :big-grin-emoticon:

Im doing my best on that not setting for long idea, the therapist told my wife this afternoon that she's worried about me getting on too soon already. I'll be good long as I can ;). No worries on the pressure washer, I know the dangers and I'm not a show bike polisher. I like to look at glitzed up bikes and cars but won't own one. I stopped for gas in IL a couple weeks ago and talked to a guy that told me I was crazy riding because it rained the night before and I was getting the bike dirty, his was under cover in the garage. I do hand wash it occasionally but that's it. As far as the valve lash I thought hard before doing it as I haven't heard of many coming apart in the past. I did just to have more confidence on the long trips with mama aboard. She's not hard to keep happy but breakdowns test her. The availability of Skydoc's shim kit and tool didn't hurt either. After reading all the horror stories of how hard it was to do I was dreading it but with the right tools I buzzed right thru it, didn't mind it at all and maybe one of these days I'll get a chance to help on someone else's.

I had posted originally because it stumps me how some people are so brand loyal and not trust the brand:puzzled:. She did tell me she liked the 2Vulcans they had before the HD better and doesn't like the burned ankles she gets now.

Aside from Harley issues people have different ideas.

Years ago I was talking to someone and mentioned that my wife and I tend to own our vehicles until driven down to the nub. He said "I do the same thing, I generally keep them until they have almost 100k miles on them". I asked him to let me know next time he has a 'used up' vehicle he needs to unload. I consider 100k barely enough mileage to break in and work out the factory kinks.

Im doing my best on that not setting for long idea, the therapist told my wife this afternoon that she's worried about me getting on too soon already. I'll be good long as I can ;). No worries on the pressure washer, I know the dangers and I'm not a show bike polisher. I like to look at glitzed up bikes and cars but won't own one. I stopped for gas in IL a couple weeks ago and talked to a guy that told me I was crazy riding because it rained the night before and I was getting the bike dirty, his was under cover in the garage. I do hand wash it occasionally but that's it.

I had posted originally because it stumps me how some people are so brand loyal and not trust the brand:puzzled:. She did tell me she liked the 2Vulcans they had before the HD better and doesn't like the burned ankles she gets now.

I've always kept my bikes clean, but full well knowing they are "road" bikes and not show bikes. The last HD I sold was clearly listed as a Good, Clean Daily Rider and I had guys showing up talking me down left and right about they have half the miles & twice the chrome and the bike is a hunk of junk that they couldn't trust with 30k miles on it. I let him ramble, then introduced him to my neighbor who is one of the best known independent HD engine builders in the area who vouched for the condition of my bike. If you can't trust a motorcycle with 30k miles because it's used up, why even come look at it?

He said "I do the same thing, I generally keep them until they have almost 100k miles on them". I asked him to let me know next time he has a 'used up' vehicle he needs to unload. I consider 100k barely enough mileage to break in and work out the factory kinks.

I started working at a new job 2yrs ago and we're booming and paying good bonuses. Everyone else has bought new vehicles and everyone keeps asking why I still drive my '06 Mercury... "Its only got 155k on it, why do I need a new vehicle?" and I just get strange looks.

I've always kept my bikes clean, but full well knowing they are "road" bikes and not show bikes. The last HD I sold was clearly listed as a Good, Clean Daily Rider and I had guys showing up talking me down left and right about they have half the miles & twice the chrome and the bike is a hunk of junk that they couldn't trust with 30k miles on it. I let him ramble, then introduced him to my neighbor who is one of the best known independent HD engine builders in the area who vouched for the condition of my bike. If you can't trust a motorcycle with 30k miles because it's used up, why even come look at it?

I started working at a new job 2yrs ago and we're booming and paying good bonuses. Everyone else has bought new vehicles and everyone keeps asking why I still drive my '06 Mercury... "Its only got 155k on it, why do I need a new vehicle?" and I just get strange looks.

You get me!!! I get the same crap all the time about my trucks. I have a 2000 Z71, 1994 Z71, and a 2000 F250 (don't tell anybody about the Ford I make more fun of them than HD). The Chevys have 160k and 190k on the clocks and I just like them. I've had 3 of the 94s over the years and it's my favorite truck ever built. I've had several newer trucks and 2 brand new ones the last an 07 that I just didn't like as much so I sold them.

I guess there is some merit in keeping new bikes to have a warranty for someone who doesn't want to or can't wrench on their own. I grew up broke and wrenching on your cars was the only way to have a car. That being said I do keep them in top mechanical condition and will drive them anywhere without worry. That just fades over to my toys also.

I guess there is some merit in keeping new bikes to have a warranty for someone who doesn't want to or can't wrench on their own. I grew up broke and wrenching on your cars was the only way to have a car. That being said I do keep them in top mechanical condition and will drive them anywhere without worry. That just fades over to my toys also.

I'm a Civil Engineer but originally looked to be a Mechanical Engineer but didn't want to be behind a desk all the time. Also, I'm Dutch so I was to cheap to pay to fix something I could figure out. No one else at my office wants to get their hands dirty where as I spend at least 2 days a week in the garage working on something with an engine in it. I'd rather throw $500 a year in maintenance at my older cars that I can fix myself with basic tools than $500 a month car payment on a depreciating asset.

Looks like this thread is morphing into all things worth saving. Might as well keep it going... :-) With that, lately I've been thinking about trading my '06 Titan in on a new '19. Then I priced one exactly like my '06th, and the price tag was in the neighborhood of $50G's. :crying: The '06 only has 108,000 on the odo, and running fine...but it's just getting tired looking. So thinking why the 'H' do I need to spend $40 grand for a paint job, or a new crate engine when needed. Being a frugal sort, the '06 will do just fine. MOF I just picked up a new 130amp alternator in an auction that fits an '04-'06 Nisan Titan..for $12 bucks... :hurts:

Sooo, are you still coming to MD and then up to my neck of the woods???

That's the plan. I put in the vacation time in case dr releases me before then. We applied for our passports last week so we can see it from the Eh side. Dr and therapist both looked at me funny when I told them but if I can fight fire by then the bike should be no problem. Neither of us have been in that neck of the woods so we're thinking 8-10 days to get MD and do some touring. Got momma some passenger pegs installed before surgery and plan to build her some arm rests before we leave so she will be happy. Have a friend stationed at D.C. In the navy that may meet us up there for a day or two.

To take the thread off topic (again)...I just traded in my 04 Yukon XL yesterday. She was running fine...getting 18mpg's all day long and only had 218K miles.

But the trade in was there only because of the 4 speed trannie. Just not enough gears to pull a 3 ton trailer around Arizona, Colorado, etc.. I found that out towing the trailer home to Tucson from Knoxville. Going west in Oklahoma is uphill all the way and always a stiff headwind...poor trannie sat in 3rd gear at 62mph (3800rpm) for the entire day.

So getting a new to me, used 2105 Sierra Denali with the 6.2ltr and an 8 speed trannie. I couldn't afford the diesel...so this is the next best thing.

I'm going to seriously miss the Yukon. Still had everything original on it except front wheel bearings that were changed at 206K miles. Brake discs, pads, alternator, water pump, AC, etc., all original. Not to shabby for a truck that has been towing a 4200 pound boat all over the country multiple times for 15 years!

The dealer can't even retail her...to many miles, so off to auction she will go. Sad to see...such a great truck. Ah well...life goes on.

Back on topic a bit.....still know we are heading to MD, but don't know how we are going to get there. I have to decide soon so I can get a hotel room if we fly into Cleveland. We are still thinking the trailer but that will depend upon Pat's mom being around. If she is, then Pat can't leave for more than a week. And we fly in.

As far as scoots...give me a Yamaha any day. My priority is technical superiority. That gives me a great scoot that will last almost forever.

As far as scoots...give me a Yamaha any day. My priority is technical superiority. That gives me a great scoot that will last almost forever.

Through a riding buddy who's the Vulcan Owners Group national secretary I've been hanging out with those Jap V-Twin guys. They expect 100k out of the bikes and compare that to HD. I've thrown Puc's multiple 200k adventures at them, then rip mine up to red-line with them full well knowing I'm down 400cc on a bigger bike and they just don't know how these engines have the power and life-span that they do.

To take the thread off topic (again)...I just traded in my 04 Yukon XL yesterday. She was running fine...getting 18mpg's all day long and only had 218K miles.

But the trade in was there only because of the 4 speed trannie. Just not enough gears to pull a 3 ton trailer around Arizona, Colorado, etc.. I found that out towing the trailer home to Tucson from Knoxville. Going west in Oklahoma is uphill all the way and always a stiff headwind...poor trannie sat in 3rd gear at 62mph (3800rpm) for the entire day.

So getting a new to me, used 2105 Sierra Denali with the 6.2ltr and an 8 speed trannie. I couldn't afford the diesel...so this is the next best thing.

I'm going to seriously miss the Yukon. Still had everything original on it except front wheel bearings that were changed at 206K miles. Brake discs, pads, alternator, water pump, AC, etc., all original. Not to shabby for a truck that has been towing a 4200 pound boat all over the country multiple times for 15 years!

The dealer can't even retail her...to many miles, so off to auction she will go. Sad to see...such a great truck. Ah well...life goes on.

Back on topic a bit.....still know we are heading to MD, but don't know how we are going to get there. I have to decide soon so I can get a hotel room if we fly into Cleveland. We are still thinking the trailer but that will depend upon Pat's mom being around. If she is, then Pat can't leave for more than a week. And we fly in.

OK so where you got the time machine hidden, and I would have thought that they would be flux capacitor powered by then and not even need wheels either.:whistling::stickpoke::duck:

Getting a little into the future aren't you. :duck: :duck: :duck: :Avatars_Gee_George:

My 83 had about 170,000 miles when I swapped the engine and the only reason I did that was I had a 30,000 mile engine that I put a 2nd gen trans in. Since we are talking about various vehicles, this is my 96 Miata that now has about 265,000 miles. These pictures were taken last summer at 250K.

It runs great and still looks good.

A 100K Miata is considered a low mileage car.

Randy

20180421_185702.jpg

20180421_185610.jpg

I found the paper work for my 14 Mustang, it has a build date of may 13. I have 126,768 miles on and just changed the water pump (not leaking but bearing was gone). Still has original brake pads but they will be changed this summer.

Let my wife drive it for a weekend, you'll get new pads and rotors:checkeredflag:.

I bought her a new Cutlass when we married in 94, great car but I couldn't figure out why it ate pads and rotors. I always drove when we were together, first time I rode with her driving it started making sense. That was the biggest thing we argued about in our marriage: her driving with one of two pedals mashed at all times with no sense of coasting. After 15-16 years I finally came in with the wrong mood one day to her telling me another set of rotors was warped. I chewed on her and my daughter and told them I'd never fix another brake for them, you take it to a shop and pay for parts and labor with no help from me. I was in the doghouse for several days but it worked, I've changed one set of brakes in the last 8 years and no rotors. :rant::rant::soapbox::soapbox:

Let my wife drive it for a weekend, you'll get new pads and rotors:checkeredflag:.

I bought her a new Cutlass when we married in 94, great car but I couldn't figure out why it ate pads and rotors. I always drove when we were together, first time I rode with her driving it started making sense. That was the biggest thing we argued about in our marriage: her driving with one of two pedals mashed at all times with no sense of coasting. After 15-16 years I finally came in with the wrong mood one day to her telling me another set of rotors was warped. I chewed on her and my daughter and told them I'd never fix another brake for them, you take it to a shop and pay for parts and labor with no help from me. I was in the doghouse for several days but it worked, I've changed one set of brakes in the last 8 years and no rotors. :rant::rant::soapbox::soapbox:

I found out early in our marriage not to ride with her or our daughter. She likes to ride the very edge of the road no matter what road we are on and will not hit the brakes until she is at or in a turn. If I am in the car with her I am behind the wheel.

My 83 had about 170,000 miles when I swapped the engine and the only reason I did that was I had a 30,000 mile engine that I put a 2nd gen trans in. Since we are talking about various vehicles, this is my 96 Miata that now has about 265,000 miles. These pictures were taken last summer at 250K.

It runs great and still looks good.

A 100K Miata is considered a low mileage car./QUOTE]

My stepson recently sold his 2006 Miata with the optional hardtop and 81k miles on it to Carmax for $4k (that I bought for him 6 years before when it had 35k miles on it $14k plus later paying $1500 for the hdtp). A couple of weeks later we saw it advertised on a used car dealers ad for $8995. It was the 6 speed version with the 17" wheels. I didn't say anything but he could have easily sold it for more than he did. I think the only problem he had with it was the idler pulley had to be replaced and he did that himself. he took the softop off the car and it is still in my attic. I need to get rid of it.

Yeah, he could have probably done better on the sale of an 06 with 81K miles for $4,000. You should probably be able to sell the hardtop and at least get your money back on it, especially if it is down in Texas, as in hot weather people put the HT back on and run the A/C. You can go on Miata.net and check out what you can do about listing it there.

Randy

Yeah, he could have probably done better on the sale of an 06 with 81K miles for $4,000. You should probably be able to sell the hardtop and at least get your money back on it, especially if it is down in Texas, as in hot weather people put the HT back on and run the A/C. You can go on Miata.net and check out what you can do about listing it there.

Randy

It's the softtop and it's the plastic version that will need replacement soon. All of the mechanism that supported the top is in the attic too. I haven't tried to sell it but I will soon or put it in the trash just to get rid of it. I contacted the used car dealer who had the car and he wouldn't travel 100 miles to get it.

It's the softtop and it's the plastic version that will need replacement soon. All of the mechanism that supported the top is in the attic too. I haven't tried to sell it but I will soon or put it in the trash just to get rid of it. I contacted the used car dealer who had the car and he wouldn't travel 100 miles to get it.

Well, I missed the soft top. So you are telling me that he sold the car with a hardtop for $4,000. I bet he made somebody happy. It will hurt trying to sell the car without a soft top with a frame though.

Randy