IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

Break a lag!!

I hope your carb guy is experienced specifically with the Venture/VMax carbs as they are very complex and even the assembly is critical to making sure all 4 lay flat to avoid any manifold leaks. The richness needs to be set either using a CO sniffer or a color tune plug. Just turning them out a specific amount of turns really does not cut it...

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Break a lag!!

I hope your carb guy is experienced specifically with the Venture/VMax carbs as they are very complex and even the assembly is critical to making sure all 4 lay flat to avoid any manifold leaks. The richness needs to be set either using a CO sniffer or a color tune plug. Just turning them out a specific amount of turns really does not cut it...

He's good. Mike Nixon - the motorcycle project has been in the carb business a long time.

https://www.motorcycleproject.com/

If you'd like to tackle the carbs your self, there is a CD available that is very detailed and the maker of the CD might rebuild the carbs for you. I bought the CD and it's very long and detailed. it's actually a video of Vmax carbs but they are very similar. I think quite of few of the members have the CD. If you are interested I'll look up his contact info. He has an engine on a test stand that he uses for a test engine to check the carbs operation.

Tomorrow is the big day. I will try to take a video of my find and some pics too. Will post tomorrow (Friday) evening.Wish me luck !!

Luck is wished!!:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo

Price for wished luck = :photographing:'s,,,, LOTS AND LOTS OF :photographing:'s Maddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:missingtooth::big-grin-emoticon:

Upon arrival to pick up bike, the owner had a car jack underneath the engine, he had mentioned the frame was cracked where these are notorious for such. So between the shocks been blown and the cracked frame, she sat very low. I'm going to be pretty cautious unloading, then begin the strip down.

OK, the seat is not stock, looks like MK2 with some custom work also done. Stock seat is brown with a diamond pattern. Also missing is the CLASS (Computer Leveling Air Suspension System) module on the right dash. This may be either for some strange reason it never came with it or somebody removed it. Getting the frame fixed needs to be priority 1!!!

This has been a very interesting read for me because I wish so much I could find someone with this enthusiasm for an 83. I really need to get rid of my 83, but I have not tried because I don't want it to go to someone that does not know or care about an early Venture. I know, they are special, but mine is real special, at least to me. If you will read the following previous thread, I noted the upgrades that I have done to mine;

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?133824-I-have-got-to-do-something

One of the biggest concerns I have about made2care's 83 is you need to know what the options are is fixing the broken frame right and for it to be stronger than what Yamaha ever did, even their upgrades. It is not an easy fix and you can see what I did in the following thread and I suspect yours will probably need what I did to mine.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?1521-83-Broken-frame

Again, I love your enthusiasm and wish you all the luck in the world, but you do have some challenges to deal with. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Randy

This has been a very interesting read for me because I wish so much I could find someone with this enthusiasm for an 83. I really need to get rid of my 83, but I have not tried because I don't want it to go to someone that does not know or care about an early Venture. I know, they are special, but mine is real special, at least to me. If you will read the following previous thread, I noted the upgrades that I have done to mine;

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?133824-I-have-got-to-do-something

One of the biggest concerns I have about made2care's 83 is you need to know what the options are is fixing the broken frame right and for it to be stronger than what Yamaha ever did, even their upgrades. It is not an easy fix and you can see what I did in the following thread and I suspect yours will probably need what I did to mine.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?1521-83-Broken-frame

Again, I love your enthusiasm and wish you all the luck in the world, but you do have some challenges to deal with. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Randy

Thanks for this response and thanks to everyone for their very nice compliments. The design of this bike is what intrigues me. From the sleek fairing to the uniquely pitched saddlebags and the color for me is more eye catching than darker colors. This bike has sat a long time and I'm going to have to strip her down to see what I have. The plastics have not been repaired correctly. I use abs glue along with abs sheets . I'm extremely particular when it comes to the plastics as this depicts a true design for that decade. I will get all plastics like new and stronger than ever. Aesthetics is my strongpoint but, I agree, the frame will need fixing and reinforcing. Onward and upward!!

Waaaaay back in '83, I laid my eyes on a blonde Venture for the first time and it was love at first sight! I was riding an old Yamaha XS500, a '73 I think at the time. Unfortunately, a new motorcycle was financially out of the question. Fast forward to 2004 and an '83 Honda XS650 later and I found the deal of a lifetime, my '84 Blonde with only 8400 miles on it and fully running for $2700. Life is good!!

I sincerely hope your '83 gives you as much satisfaction, thrills, and smiles as mine did!!

I can agree with Bob on his last statement, I hope your Venture brings you as much joy as mine has me.

I think this is about the last pic I took of my bike.

Randy

Beautiful bike !

okay, now the questions begin. Is there a way I can manually inflate the rear shock? As stated early by a member, the system control buttons are missing. How am I supposed to get air in rear shock. Bike is sitting too low.

Most of the issue with it sitting low is likely because of the broken frame. That is the first thing you need to address. I would look around and see if a Schrader valve has b been added. Itr appears that the original controls are missing so there is a fair chance that somebody has already modified it with manual fill valves. NOTE: The shocks are LOW volume. Do you use a air compressor to air them up. Most of us use a "Progression" brand or knock-off hand pump. Front forks are even lower volume of course. Easy to blow seals if you try to use a air hose.

Most of the issue with it sitting low is likely because of the broken frame. That is the first thing you need to address. I would look around and see if a Schrader valve has b been added. Itr appears that the original controls are missing so there is a fair chance that somebody has already modified it with manual fill valves. NOTE: The shocks are LOW volume. Do you use a air compressor to air them up. Most of us use a "Progression" brand or knock-off hand pump. Front forks are even lower volume of course. Easy to blow seals if you try to use a air hose.

Okay, i am still checking the frame and so far, all looks good but still looking. Front forks are shot, will rebuild those later. Yes, I'm very careful with putting air in shocks.

The previous owner said that battery acid leaked onto the frame and I don't see any sign of that. Also, I'm going to use a sealed battery.

Got her unloaded !! Heavy !! Time for a bath!

:scared: now THAT is what I am talking about,,,, SHE IS GORGEOUS MADDY:thumbsup:!! Ya do indeed got yourself a lot of project there my friend but you also have a LOT to work with:thumbsup:!!!!! Looking at the fairing "glove box" on the right hand side (opposite of the radio/cassette), those compartments "lids" are different to me and my memory of my 84 Royale. I can see what others would think no Class System as it does not appear to have normal controls for such BUT, I notice the upper section of that box cover has a chrome pull bar on it? None of my Standards have that but my Royale had it on both sides like your does, IMHO, that little pull bar is indicitive of a removeable carrier tray for components hidden inside the compartment. Then I notice what appears to be a little knob on the left of the bottom door and what looks like a rocker switch located to the outside of that compartment door - this is something I have never seen before and I gotta ask, is there any chance here that those are indeed the Class Controls for the 83? My 84 had a factory CB located in that bottom section and the CLass panel was above in the upper compartment right beside where your bike has the Chrome pull handle.

:scared: now THAT is what I am talking about,,,, SHE IS GORGEOUS MADDY:thumbsup:!! Ya do indeed got yourself a lot of project there my friend but you also have a LOT to work with:thumbsup:!!!!! Looking at the fairing "glove box" on the right hand side (opposite of the radio/cassette), those compartments "lids" are different to me and my memory of my 84 Royale. I can see what others would think no Class System as it does not appear to have normal controls for such BUT, I notice the upper section of that box cover has a chrome pull bar on it? None of my Standards have that but my Royale had it on both sides like your does, IMHO, that little pull bar is indicitive of a removeable carrier tray for components hidden inside the compartment. Then I notice what appears to be a little knob on the left of the bottom door and what looks like a rocker switch located to the outside of that compartment door - this is something I have never seen before and I gotta ask, is there any chance here that those are indeed the Class Controls for the 83? My 84 had a factory CB located in that bottom section and the CLass panel was above in the upper compartment right beside where your bike has the Chrome pull handle.

There is nothing inside those compartments. It's been gutted! I still have to buy a new battery so not sure what the toggle switch is for. What do you think about the long weld I discovered on the left side? So far frame looks good . Also, there is a battery in it and I'm sure it's toast, why is there a wire/ sensor going directly into the battery cell? I only use sealed batteries.

That wire leading to the battery is a sensor wire for the CMU readout. The OEM spec batteries came with an xtra hole in the above the normal 6 holes for filling with acid that that sensor wire would plug into. When you turn the key on and the dash readout goes thru its tests, one of those readouts will be a battery test. If that test fails you will get the little battery symbol lit and little red nusiance of a flashing light on the dash telling you there is a issue with the battery. Many of us (I cant remember when the last battery sensor I had intact on a 1st Gen was) just bypass that sensor by stickin a resistor in line with it and taking the lead to 12vdc = tricks the CMU into thinking all is well..

Without going downstairs and checking to verify, that long weld looks normal to me.. I think it might be where Mom Yam relieved the frame tube for bending but cutting it and then Jig welded it back together - just a thought,, will double check my frame when I get a sec. Does your scoot have the dampner and air shrader assembly on the left side below the side cover?

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW ya varmint!! YA GOT A BUNCH OF GOODIES ON THAT PUPPY!! ABSOLUTELY LOVIN ON THAT TAIL LIGHT

Edited by cowpuc