IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

Congrats on the new bike!! Looks like you have a good one. I just picked up a 88 Royale and am in the process of pulling the carbs and cleaning. Lots of cleaning. And Puc, Thank you for all your information. I found you on YouTube and have been learning a lot.

Cheers from SoCal!!

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm very particular with everything especially the tank. I've pulled many goldwing tanks and soaked with evapo rust , then rinse. The evapo rust even cleaned the sending unit back to original state. It appears as though this yamaha has a similar design to the goldwing. I.e. Tank under seat, linked brake lines, etc etc. Japanese design I guess.

thanks for the heads up.

Your welcome on the heads up my friend, anytime. Have numerous tank cleans and Red Kote (good stuff!!) coatings and the like and have never heard of or tried Evapo Rust, learn something new everyday! Have acided many, used/use White Vinigar soak (slow but effective on lighter rust), used electrolisis numerous times, and when a kid even used the old shake n bake rocks/nuts/bolts a few times to derust em.. Just checked Ebay, found/ordered this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evapo-Rust-Super-Safe-Rust-Remover-Non-Toxic-Removes-from-Bare-Metal-32oz/183455385164?epid=1152380227&hash=item2ab6cb064c%3Ag%3Ay9AAAOSw9A5bq9EP&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C1000%7C2500

Hopefully got the right stuff my friend!! I have a couple (well,, ok,, more than 2) bikes in storage that I KNOW at least 2 of them need their tanks cleaned! Win, lose or draw,,, I will give Evapo Rust a shot!!

Now its my turn, thank you for the heads up!!

Puc

Congrats on the new bike!! Looks like you have a good one. I just picked up a 88 Royale and am in the process of pulling the carbs and cleaning. Lots of cleaning. And Puc, Thank you for all your information. I found you on YouTube and have been learning a lot.

Cheers from SoCal!!

You are more than welcome for the info on the YouTube channel @mlgower = VERY glad you found me there and are enjoying some of my sideways perspectives of life in general found there. I really appreciate the + feedback my friend!

Thanks!

Puc

How's that for empathy Patch?:big-grin-emoticon:

I see by your reply that you are schoolable brother Puc.

Well as for the rest of your post I could suggest a sensitivity class but in your case likely that would end up being more like a full semester likely causing the instructor to experience a nervous short circuiting and meltdown;)

Now it seemed quite obvious in the video that while hesitant Ms. Tippy easily walk up the hill faster than old Tweaks could even get a move-on! I thought watching Ms. Tippy as she paused halfway up likely thinking Tweaks may need a push from that spot on up the hill; defensibly a fine compassionate woman ;) you have Puc

With regard to acceleration, yes I hear they can do OK after all, they are missing a tooth in the melon, of course you pay for that extra help at the fueling station.

Now thinking about running around the continent with all them missing teeth between 1st and 3rd must mean that 3rd, has much more chewing to get through before being relieved by 4th so, one must wonder how far away is 3rd from retiring? Hmm Puc

And yes the seat on the MKII was the first thing to get re stuffed.

I see by your reply that you are schoolable brother Puc.

Well as for the rest of your post I could suggest a sensitivity class but in your case likely that would end up being more like a full semester likely causing the instructor to experience a nervous short circuiting and meltdown;)

Now it seemed quite obvious in the video that while hesitant Ms. Tippy easily walk up the hill faster than old Tweaks could even get a move-on! I thought watching Ms. Tippy as she paused halfway up likely thinking Tweaks may need a push from that spot on up the hill; defensibly a fine compassionate woman ;) you have Puc

With regard to acceleration, yes I hear they can do OK after all, they are missing a tooth in the melon, of course you pay for that extra help at the fueling station.

Now thinking about running around the continent with all them missing teeth between 1st and 3rd must mean that 3rd, has much more chewing to get through before being relieved by 4th so, one must wonder how far away is 3rd from retiring? Hmm Puc

And yes the seat on the MKII was the first thing to get re stuffed.

Actually,, its not the "teeth" that are Hobbed on the gears that suffer at all Patch, after suffering tolerance stack between the ramps when the soft shim wears, the mating gear windows and its matching engagement cogs are the ones that suffer the fate. Even this is commonly not noticeable on the gearset's when viewed by an untrained gearhead as the wear is not that obvious. I have been splitting cases and repairing bike trannies for many years (for resale, yes but brother,, landing jumps on an MX track and landing with your foot on a shifter has created many needs for this as bent shifting forks can/will (IMHO) cause the same calamity.

The "shavings" from ramp up wear/tear are very tiny and very seldom even found on the drain magnet.. Have never ever ever found a missing tooth of any sort in all my wearing completely out a 1st Gen with 2nd gear gone,, just doesnt seem to happen.. While I never did have a 1st Gen tranny apart, I have seen several examples of them (the complete gear sets with drive axles and shift drum) and gotta say,,, they are VERY solid.. I always thought my KX500 had wayyy over built gears in her but gotta tell ya,, the width and quality of the gears in these puppies are impressive,,, all IMHO of course..

By the way,, Tip only got off the bike to take a short = "watch this you guys,, this is one of the main reasons I do not pull a trailer" video.. Normally she just hangs on and goes for it right behind her man!!!

And nope,, been riding a full trannied 1st Gen now for good while (THANK YOU AGAIN Carbon_One and Joyce for saving Tweeksis just for us!!) and can verify,, absolutely no difference in MPG at all.. Be it slow riding up mountain passes or CTFW all day across the empty but GORGEOUS western desert at a moderate 95 MPH (Tip has me "governed" below 100 with her on the scoot),, same super MPG either way...

Now drop a diaphram on a slide so she's running on 3? That will DEFINITELY cut into the MPG but that happens 2nd gear or no 2nd gear...

Edited by cowpuc

Not what I'm saying, the melon has one less tooth than the MKII so MKII is a taller setup. The MKI having one less tooth in the melon is better geared to handle skipping the second gear.

:think: you sure bout that Patch? I did some gear swappin and, best of recall (dont take this verbatim though cause my recall aint what it used to be), the MK1 and MK2's had the same teeth count to grind,, all the way back.. Now maybe at the clutch basket or basket drive gear,, not sure on that.. Have ridden both and didnt notice a real difference between them ratio wise either.. Also fairly sure they have the same rim/tire sizes (looked carefully at em cause I wanted to go Darkside but the MK2's suffered the same malady as the MK1 for that application) so the up gear/taller set up of which you speak can't be caused by that... Hmmmm,, maybe some research by both of us to find out what is going on here = two brothers open to gettin schooled and taking on the task = dont get no better than that! :banana:

:think: you sure bout that Patch? I did some gear swappin and, best of recall (dont take this verbatim though cause my recall aint what it used to be), the MK1 and MK2's had the same teeth count to grind,, all the way back.. Now maybe at the clutch basket or basket drive gear,, not sure on that.. Have ridden both and didnt notice a real difference between them ratio wise either.. Also fairly sure they have the same rim/tire sizes (looked carefully at em cause I wanted to go Darkside but the MK2's suffered the same malady as the MK1 for that application) so the up gear/taller set up of which you speak can't be caused by that... Hmmmm,, maybe some research by both of us to find out what is going on here = two brothers open to gettin schooled and taking on the task = dont get no better than that! :banana:

Hmm I thought they were less one or is that the VMax?

Hmm I thought they were less one or is that the VMax?

IMHO, my V-Max was actually geared lower than my Mk1's.. I know it had a smaller rear rim/tire (15 inch instead of 16 like the MK1/MK2's and, while I know very little about gear ratioing, I am pretty sure that alone would be a downward move it gearing. I also believe the rear end/final drive in the early model V-Max's (pre block 1700 that some of us were hoping would find its way into the new Venture) were geared down, not up, when compared to the MK1's and MK2's..

I don't know if you have access to manuals but I have some,, including the V-Max, that I will do some research on to compare ratio's when I get a second.. Suggest you do the same so we are both the same page?

YammerDan would have fist bumped ya for that comment brother!!:happy34:

One of the guys at the International in Alabama had one that was absolutely AMAZING,,, DEFINITELY one heck of purdy machine Cha!!!:happy34:

Oppssss,,, my bad,,, his was the later model MK2,,,, still a wayyyy purdy, well taken care of machine in its own right though!!https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115680https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115681https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115682https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115683https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115684https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115685https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115686

That is a very well taken care of bike. I've seen plenty MK2's with the darker blue paint scheme but that's the first one with that light blue scheme and like you said... wayyyyy purty!

NOPE!!! You should be getting around 40 MPG even if you might be a little heavy wristed! Are you sure you are running on all 4 cylinders?? These bikes will actually run fairly well on just 3 but your mileage goes south down to around 30...

Even pulling a full trailer 2 up at expressway speeds I still was getting around 36 - 38 mpg!

Yup, all our speedometers are off by around 10%...

Your welcome on the heads up my friend, anytime. Have numerous tank cleans and Red Kote (good stuff!!) coatings and the like and have never heard of or tried Evapo Rust, learn something new everyday! Have acided many, used/use White Vinigar soak (slow but effective on lighter rust), used electrolisis numerous times, and when a kid even used the old shake n bake rocks/nuts/bolts a few times to derust em.. Just checked Ebay, found/ordered this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evapo-Rust-Super-Safe-Rust-Remover-Non-Toxic-Removes-from-Bare-Metal-32oz/183455385164?epid=1152380227&hash=item2ab6cb064c%3Ag%3Ay9AAAOSw9A5bq9EP&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C1000%7C2500

Hopefully got the right stuff my friend!! I have a couple (well,, ok,, more than 2) bikes in storage that I KNOW at least 2 of them need their tanks cleaned! Win, lose or draw,,, I will give Evapo Rust a shot!!

Now its my turn, thank you for the heads up!!

Puc

Yes, that's it. Only drawback is that its pricey but you can reuse it over and over. I still have some from a few years ago just make sure you keep cap on tight. Its the best stuff, works fast and is non toxic , odorless too. glad to help !

That is a very well taken care of bike. I've seen plenty MK2's with the darker blue paint scheme but that's the first one with that light blue scheme and like you said... wayyyyy purty!

:Hitit:,, oh yeahhhhhh,,, :Hitit:BIG TIME!!

For the life of me I cant remember the owners name Cha but gotta tell ya,, this guy is/was the master of care!! Thing was gorgeous.. :think:Definitely not my style though,, I would pull into a parking lot with something that purdy and some punk kid with a bent wheeled chopped Sportster with a spooly with a nail where the front axle is suppose to be on the front of it would have his only remaining brake decide to fail and him and his Chop would land against it:sign07:,,,, Murphies law and all that..

Gotta tell ya Cha,, the scoot that the OP of this thread is grabbing for 500 bucks could look as good IMHO... @made2care,, you got a LOT there to work with!! :ice_congrats-vi6886

Yes, that's it. Only drawback is that its pricey but you can reuse it over and over. I still have some from a few years ago just make sure you keep cap on tight. Its the best stuff, works fast and is non toxic , odorless too. glad to help !

AWESOME!!! Thanks again for the info!!! If it works out I will probably post up a YouTube Video of its dynamics.. If so, I will mention your screen name and cut you in on half the huge proceeds made from advertising the product for them :big-grin-emoticon:!!! Seriously though my friend, I hope the stuff works as well for me as it has for you,,, there is NOTHING worse than being 1000 miles from home and having float valves stick open because of rust particals from a rusted tank... :95:

AWESOME!!! Thanks again for the info!!! If it works out I will probably post up a YouTube Video of its dynamics.. If so, I will mention your screen name and cut you in on half the huge proceeds made from advertising the product for them :big-grin-emoticon:!!! Seriously though my friend, I hope the stuff works as well for me as it has for you,,, there is NOTHING worse than being 1000 miles from home and having float valves stick open because of rust particals from a rusted tank... :95:

Man, I'm excited !. I can quit my job now !

:Hitit:,, oh yeahhhhhh,,, :Hitit:BIG TIME!!

For the life of me I cant remember the owners name Cha but gotta tell ya,, this guy is/was the master of care!! Thing was gorgeous.. :think:Definitely not my style though,, I would pull into a parking lot with something that purdy and some punk kid with a bent wheeled chopped Sportster with a spooly with a nail where the front axle is suppose to be on the front of it would have his only remaining brake decide to fail and him and his Chop would land against it:sign07:,,,, Murphies law and all that..

Gotta tell ya Cha,, the scoot that the OP of this thread is grabbing for 500 bucks could look as good IMHO... made2care,, you got a LOT there to work with!! :ice_congrats-vi6886

Thanks. The hunt is the best part. I will take a video when i load it onto my trailer. I get it March 20th.

Yes, any 1st gen motor will bolt right in! The issue is you need to know what year the engine is as there will be anywhere from a little to a lot of wiring changes necessary! For example, the '90 to '93 went from a dual pickup configuration for ignition timing to a single pickup. The '83 ignitor box is different from all the rest due to where vacuum for advance is sampled from. The '83 uses carb vacuum whereas the rest uses manifold vacuum, so the ignitor box has to be swapped out. Also due to the different pickup configuration on the late versions the ignitor box also is different.

It's a shame you don't live closer, I have a 1200 with only 18,000 miles on it I need to get rid of. It's being replaced with a bored out 1300 and VMax heads and cams...

Yes, any 1st gen motor will bolt right in! The issue is you need to know what year the engine is as there will be anywhere from a little to a lot of wiring changes necessary! For example, the '90 to '93 went from a dual pickup configuration for ignition timing to a single pickup. The '83 ignitor box is different from all the rest due to where vacuum for advance is sampled from. The '83 uses carb vacuum whereas the rest uses manifold vacuum, so the ignitor box has to be swapped out. Also due to the different pickup configuration on the late versions the ignitor box also is different.

It's a shame you don't live closer, I have a 1200 with only 18,000 miles on it I need to get rid of. It's being replaced with a bored out 1300 and VMax heads and cams...

Yes it is! Thanx for the info. I will have to find room for the big royale. Here are my other 3 bikes. White - 2006 Kawasaki 1600 I customized. Blue - 1967 Yamaha 180- took one year to rebuild. It was a barn find in 20 different boxes. Whine/ maroon - 1980 goldwing 1100 I rebuilt .

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

Yes it is! Thanx for the info. I will have to find room for the big royale. Here are my other 3 bikes. White - 2006 Kawasaki 1600 I customized. Blue - 1967 Yamaha 180- took one year to rebuild. It was a barn find in 20 different boxes. Whine/ maroon - 1980 goldwing 1100 I rebuilt .

BEAUTIFUL brother,,, JUST GORGEOUS!!

And if we were closer I would be headed to your man cave just to hear and SMELL that gorgeous little 180 twin fire up one time for old times sake!! I LOVED (and still do) all those early Yams.. Rode em and loved em!! They had a special "tone" to em that is irreplaceable with its synced "tat tat tat tat".. REAL NICE my friend,, REALLY REALLY NICE!!

Redoing a Venture is DEFINITELY NOT OUT OF YOUR LEAGUE MADE2CARE!! I can see this rescued 1sr Gen Royale having a really really bright future!:thumbsup:

YOU DA MAN MADDY!!!

BEAUTIFUL brother,,, JUST GORGEOUS!!

And if we were closer I would be headed to your man cave just to hear and SMELL that gorgeous little 180 twin fire up one time for old times sake!! I LOVED (and still do) all those early Yams.. Rode em and loved em!! They had a special "tone" to em that is irreplaceable with its synced "tat tat tat tat".. REAL NICE my friend,, REALLY REALLY NICE!!

Redoing a Venture is DEFINITELY NOT OUT OF YOUR LEAGUE MADE2CARE!! I can see this rescued 1sr Gen Royale having a really really bright future!:thumbsup:

YOU DA MAN MADDY!!!

Thanks very much for your compliments. Can't wait for march 20th. Will be asking you many questions on this "venture "