IGNORED

Honest Opinions About the 3rd Gen

Interested in hearing from the people that have put some serious miles on the the 3rd Gen. I am currently riding a 2008 2nd gen rsv,, a 2009 road star and a 2013 harley ultra classic.

I am considering a 3rd gen venture and the motivation is coming from my regrettable purchase of the 2013 Ultra. I owned a few Harleys over the years and jumped on a great deal (so I thought) for this 2013. The power and handling is no better than the 80's-90's EVO's. Still 3" rear suspension and 4" up front. The stock rear shocks suck big time as they always did and the front is severely undersprung as they always have been. The power stock sucks big time also. Not even close to my 2nd gen. I also found it to be much more top and heavy and much more difficult to handle 2 up than my 2nd gen. Not to mention that it is still much more cramped 2 up or riding solo than the 2nd gen.

OK, enough bashing. I have had the Harley Ultra Classic on CL and Facebook for several weeks and not even a sniffle from anyone. Since nobody seems interested in the Ultra, I am thinking about trading it in along with my 08 RSV and 09 RS towards a 3rd gen Venture. One of the local dealers has 2 transcontinentals on sale for $25,500.00. I am hoping that I can get enough for all 3 of my bikes to get close enough to their asking price that I can afford to make the deal.

2013 Ultra - 7,750 miles

2008 RSV - 15,600 miles

2009 RS - 20,100 miles

I love, love my 2nd gen and 09 RSV and feel like I am going to be giving up on 2 great rides and will have to settle on 1 ride so I want to make sure it's worth it. I don't want a disappointment like my 2013 Ultra Classic.

Thinking about maybe riding out the year longer and maybe (hopefully) get a better deal from the dealer. It's not like the 3rd gens are flying out the door. This dealer has had these exact same bikes in inventory several months ago.

So, I am looking for honest opinions on the 3rd gen. What you like, what you don't like, etc. I am aware of the heat on the left side but have heard different views.

Thanks in advance.

2008 RSV - 15,600 miles

I love, love my 2nd gen ...

Sticking my nose in here.

If you love the 2nd gen and it only has 15K on it (that is like its 4th oil change and 2nd set of tires tops) may want to consider her a keeper.

If you love the 2nd gen and it only has 15K on it (that is like its 4th oil change and 2nd set of tires tops) may want to consider her a keeper.

Have to agree. Why not keep the 2nd Gen? Nothing changed from 2009 to 2013...so your bike is still "current" and low mileage. I have 93,000km/58,000miles on my '09 and have no reason to even think about replacing it.

Interested in hearing from the people that have put some serious miles on the the 3rd Gen. I am currently riding a 2008 2nd gen rsv,, a 2009 road star and a 2013 harley ultra classic.

I am considering a 3rd gen venture and the motivation is coming from my regrettable purchase of the 2013 Ultra. I owned a few Harleys over the years and jumped on a great deal (so I thought) for this 2013. The power and handling is no better than the 80's-90's EVO's. Still 3" rear suspension and 4" up front. The stock rear shocks suck big time as they always did and the front is severely undersprung as they always have been. The power stock sucks big time also. Not even close to my 2nd gen. I also found it to be much more top and heavy and much more difficult to handle 2 up than my 2nd gen. Not to mention that it is still much more cramped 2 up or riding solo than the 2nd gen.

OK, enough bashing. I have had the Harley Ultra Classic on CL and Facebook for several weeks and not even a sniffle from anyone. Since nobody seems interested in the Ultra, I am thinking about trading it in along with my 08 RSV and 09 RS towards a 3rd gen Venture. One of the local dealers has 2 transcontinentals on sale for $25,500.00. I am hoping that I can get enough for all 3 of my bikes to get close enough to their asking price that I can afford to make the deal.

2013 Ultra - 7,750 miles

2008 RSV - 15,600 miles

2009 RS - 20,100 miles

I love, love my 2nd gen and 09 RSV and feel like I am going to be giving up on 2 great rides and will have to settle on 1 ride so I want to make sure it's worth it. I don't want a disappointment like my 2013 Ultra Classic.

Thinking about maybe riding out the year longer and maybe (hopefully) get a better deal from the dealer. It's not like the 3rd gens are flying out the door. This dealer has had these exact same bikes in inventory several months ago.

So, I am looking for honest opinions on the 3rd gen. What you like, what you don't like, etc. I am aware of the heat on the left side but have heard different views.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Grubsie, as an SVTC owner I can honestly say you won’t find any positive info here on the SVTC by non owners. They’re ticked off that Yamaha didn’t put a V4 in it. You need to take it for a ride yourself. DO NOT listen to the naysayers with no experience on it except for a few who have only had a test ride, and some of those didn’t know anything about this bike. Everybody I know who owns one (many ex HD, Wing & Victory Owners) is thrilled with their choice, and though there USED to be a group of us here who were really excited about the SVTC, we realized the SVTC was not welcome and got tired of the detractors and moved on.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and look for reviews by OWNERS and not the naysayers. BTW, “Long Haul Paul” in his million mile run for a Multiple Sclerosis cure has bought a new SVTC. Go to his YouTube channel and check out his reports.

Heres his latest from a post on another forum.

Edited by ChiefGunner
Additional info

Hi Grubsie, as an SVTC owner I can honestly say you won’t find any positive info here on the SVTC by non owners. They’re ticked off that Yamaha didn’t put a V4 in it. You need to take it for a ride yourself. DO NOT listen to the naysayers with no experience on it except for a few who have only had a test ride, and some of those didn’t know anything about this bike. Everybody I know who owns one (many ex HD, Wing & Victory Owners) is thrilled with their choice, and though there USED to be a group of us here who were really excited about the SVTC, we realized the SVTC was not welcome and got tired of the detractors and moved on.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and look for reviews by OWNERS and not the naysayers. BTW, “Long Haul Paul” in his million mile run for a Multiple Sclerosis cure has bought a new SVTC. Go to his YouTube channel and check out his reports.

Chief, you are being unfair to this forum. Sure we wanted the V4, for obvious reasons, but the fact is Yamaha chose otherwise. We can live with that. I've been reading the posts on the StarBike Forum and can say you guys weren't being nice over there either. So let's not throw stones, OK? I personally think the new Venture is fantastic. Waiting for some cool weather to get another ride and decide whether to get the new Transcontinental. Let's smile and ride....

Hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. Only real complaint is it can get hot. Lower wind deflectors make a huge difference and should have come standard.

Low center of gravity, overall handling is awesome. Truly is a dream to ride. I've had mine for a little over 4 months and just passed 12k miles.

My previous two touring bikes were both 2nd gen RSV's (2002 and 2012) that each had a gazillion miles on them by the time I was finished with them.

The TC is not a new version venture, it is a completely different motorcycle and should be viewed as such. The only thing they have in common is the name.

I loved my RSVs. They served me well, providing me with thousands of miles of great memories without ever letting me down. But the new TC truly makes the 2nd gen obsolete in my opinion.

It just isn't fair to compare them against each other.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

The 3rd gen reminds me of Dale Earnhardt and NASCAR, fans either loved or hated him with no middle ground. If you ride one let us know how it compares to the 2nd gen in your opinion. It's not the bike for me but hey I was an Earnhardt fan. I've had two very short talks with SVTC owners that absolutely loved them. Too much tech for me and I like the 4 cylinder. I'm always slow to accept new things, old dog/new tricks mindset. I may come to like them later, but until then the RSV is my bike of choice.

Chief, you are being unfair to this forum.

:thumbsup: I agree and I wish folks would take the naysayers with a grain of salt as there will always be differences of opinion and that shouldn't be grounds for folks to go so far as to "move on".

To each his own.

As much as us Gen 1, and 2 folks wanted a bike with a radiator, that wasn't so hot at the stoplights, I'll admit, I saw a few kinda nasty posts.

But, also, find someone that bought a 3rd Gen, dropped 25k plus, and is willing to say they regret it. Although they might ALL very much like them, and I certainly would like to own one, I just don't ride enough to justify it.

I think it is too early in the process to get true results as into if the 1st time buyers, buy again.

But, back to the 2nd gen. If you like it, why would you want to change?

To each his own.

As much as us Gen 1, and 2 folks wanted a bike with a radiator, that wasn't so hot at the stoplights, I'll admit, I saw a few kinda nasty posts.

But, also, find someone that bought a 3rd Gen, dropped 25k plus, and is willing to say they regret it. Although they might ALL very much like them, and I certainly would like to own one, I just don't ride enough to justify it.

I think it is too early in the process to get true results as into if the 1st time buyers, buy again.

But, back to the 2nd gen. If you like it, why would you want to change?

Would be interested if you could provide the link to the statement that the guy “regretted it”. Would like to read it for myself.

Hi Grubsie, as an SVTC owner I can honestly say you won’t find any positive info here on the SVTC by non owners.

I wasn't picking an aesthetic answer to the question of 2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen. I was offering a mathematical observational answer in that the current bike, a 2nd Gen RSV, (which he says he loves and is probably paid for) has 15k miles on it. Other than the grass being on the other side of the fence, seems no reason he offered for him to get rid of the RSV for the 3rd Gen or any other bike.

Would be interested if you could provide the link to the statement that the guy “regretted it”. Would like to read it for myself.

You misunderstood what he said.

" find someone that bought a 3rd Gen, dropped 25k plus, and is willing to say they regret it"

meaning ... highly unlikely :smile5:

That is a very unfair statement. There have been many positive posts here regarding the new Venture. I have made several myself. I don't ride as much as I used to but if I did, I would have already bought one. I may still eventually end up with one. There are many things that I love about it and having owned several V-Twins, that part doesn't bother me at all. I have admitted that I am concerned about the heat and in spite that some say it is not an issue, even some that LOVE the bike have admitted that it can be a nuisance at times. In spite of that, I would still buy one if I were in the market for a new bike.

I understand that there have been many negative opinions also but you will have that anytime there is a major change to a bike that people loved but please don't categorize our entire membership as haters.

You misunderstood what he said.

" find someone that bought a 3rd Gen, dropped 25k plus, and is willing to say they regret it"

meaning ... highly unlikely :smile5:

My bad. Thank you for the correction SilverT.

Regarding the “heat” issue, I myself with 12k miles on it have stated that “it’s hot in 87+ degree weather and stop n go traffic but it’s not untolerable”. She just wasn’t designed to be a “commuter” in traffic. Every bike has pros & cons, and every owner (many previous HD, Wing, Victory & Star riders) will tell you unequivocally the pros far outweigh the cons.

i doubt someone with the reputation & experience of Long Haul Paul with 300k miles on a Tenere would continue his million mile journey on something that performed poorly or wasn’t absolutely comfortable.

That is a very unfair statement. There have been many positive posts here regarding the new Venture. I have made several myself. I don't ride as much as I used to but if I did, I would have already bought one. I may still eventually end up with one. There are many things that I love about it and having owned several V-Twins, that part doesn't bother me at all. I have admitted that I am concerned about the heat and in spite that some say it is not an issue, even some that LOVE the bike have admitted that it can be a nuisance at times. In spite of that, I would still buy one if I were in the market for a new bike.

I understand that there have been many negative opinions also but you will have that anytime there is a major change to a bike that people loved but please don't categorize our entire membership as haters.

Fair enough Don, but in so acquiescing I’d like to point out that 90% of those “positive comments” were posted by SVTC owners who are no longer here; and a once vibrant thread filled with all kinds of experiential information about this bike has all but fallen silent.

I absolutely think buying my SVTC was the best decision for me. I had a 2007 RSV (for long rides and trips) and a 2005 Harley Fatboy Screaming Eagle (for just everyday cruising). Loved them both but was ready to trade up on the Venture. I traded my RSV in on the SVTC and planned to keep the Harley. After 3 weeks of riding the SVTC I sold the Harley to my neighbor (he has been trying to buy it from me) cause I knew this is the only one I want to ride. The handling with low center of gravity is great and the power is smooth in tour mode and a beast in sport mode. It is very comfortable for me. Rode from North TX to Rochester MN and did 776 miles the first day with no problem and could have done more. Spent 2 days riding thru MS and AR Ozarks on the way back and bike handled like a dream for me. I do have the heat issue on the left side (some do not) but put the lower vents on right before the trip and it took care of that problem. Also added highway pegs and the ROX risers before the trip and they made it better. Not really anything I need to add, except maybe a backrest to make it more comfortable on trips. My RSV I had Rick Butler do his magic to the seats but for me I honestly don't need it for the SVTC.

Unfortunately right after I got back from my trip I fractured my left ankle and am stuck in a boot while it heals. Currently have almost 4k miles on it (has set for almost 6 weeks) and would have a whole lot more if I could ride. It's eating me up to look at it everyday and not being able to jump on it and go. As soon as the boot comes off I will be eating up the asphalt.

Couldn't agree more...9000 miles so far on my STAR Venture TC (don't like this 3rd GEN BS), love this bike, I'm coming off a great bike in the Victory Vision and the transition was an easy one. Test ride one, speak with owners (don't listen to non-owners and short test riders....they really don't have a clue) the torque is amazing, 75 mph at 2700 rpm's, very smooth and great two up ride.

Fair enough Don, but in so acquiescing I’d like to point out that 90% of those “positive comments” were posted by SVTC owners who are no longer here; and a once vibrant thread filled with all kinds of experiential information about this bike has all but fallen silent.

You're here ... and apparently so are a few others ... maybe y'all should get together and convince those who left to come back?? In any event, more and more will come as time passes.

Thanks for the positive replies guys and I am sorry to see some arguments going on here. Didn't mean to provoke anything with my post. Gonna try to see if I can test ride the 3rd gen soon and also see how much they will give me for the 3 bikes.

I do love both my RSV and RS and the only reason I am considering trading them in is because of the 2013 HD Ultra Classic. The fact that now that I have it and can't sell it, is the factor that is driving my thoughts about trading all 3 bikes in towards the 3rd gen. It's not that I am dying to get the 3rd gen but I figure that the only way I am going to get rid of the HD is to trade it in. And hopefully trading in all 3 bikes will get me close enough financially to justify buying the 3rd gen. I would much rather keep riding the other 2 Yamahas for a few years, then purchase a used 3rd gen.

If I could sell the HD, this topic would be off the table and I would stick to my RS and RSV. Only reason I bought the HD was because of the price I got it for from a friend of the family whose husband recently passed away and this bike was his baby and it shows it. Was thinking that the newer Ultra's would be easier to handle than the 2nd gen. In my opinion, it's not even close. It has heat issues. With this bike, it's on the right side. Cooks my thigh and my wife's right foot, so the 3rd gen left side heat can't be any worse.

Thanks for the positive replies guys and I am sorry to see some arguments going on here. Didn't mean to provoke anything with my post. Gonna try to see if I can test ride the 3rd gen soon and also see how much they will give me for the 3 bikes.

I do love both my RSV and RS and the only reason I am considering trading them in is because of the 2013 HD Ultra Classic. The fact that now that I have it and can't sell it, is the factor that is driving my thoughts about trading all 3 bikes in towards the 3rd gen. It's not that I am dying to get the 3rd gen but I figure that the only way I am going to get rid of the HD is to trade it in. And hopefully trading in all 3 bikes will get me close enough financially to justify buying the 3rd gen. I would much rather keep riding the other 2 Yamahas for a few years, then purchase a used 3rd gen.

If I could sell the HD, this topic would be off the table and I would stick to my RS and RSV. Only reason I bought the HD was because of the price I got it for from a friend of the family whose husband recently passed away and this bike was his baby and it shows it. Was thinking that the newer Ultra's would be easier to handle than the 2nd gen. In my opinion, it's not even close. It has heat issues. With this bike, it's on the right side. Cooks my thigh and my wife's right foot, so the 3rd gen left side heat can't be any worse.

I was very happy with my 2nd gen, but wanted ABS, traction control and fuel injection in modern 2018 touring machine.

Did ton of research comparing the new gold wing, top end Harley, Indian and BMW.

For me, TC came out on top. Someone else's calculus may come out different. World would be boring if everyone's preferences are the same.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Had a 2012 Ultra 103 before my SVTC and the heat issue is not even comparable. If you like an air cooled V twin and like touring, the SVTC is the bike in my opinion. 12k and counting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Grubsie, as an SVTC owner I can honestly say you won’t find any positive info here on the SVTC by non owners. They’re ticked off that Yamaha didn’t put a V4 in it. You need to take it for a ride yourself. DO NOT listen to the naysayers with no experience on it except for a few who have only had a test ride, and some of those didn’t know anything about this bike. Everybody I know who owns one (many ex HD, Wing & Victory Owners) is thrilled with their choice, and though there USED to be a group of us here who were really excited about the SVTC, we realized the SVTC was not welcome and got tired of the detractors and moved on...

SVTC members ARE definitely welcomed ! There may have been a few feathers ruffled about 1st/2nd Gen owners complaining that YAMAHA made the choices they did but had nothing to do with the owners of SVTC's. I like reading about people's likes/dislikes about the SVTC (as I do read likes/dislikes about 1st/2nd Gens, other brands).

I agree with you that listening to someone that took a 20 minute test ride doesn't hold the credence that someone with thousands of miles would have.

Hands down the best bike I've ever ridden. ...My previous two touring bikes were both 2nd gen RSV's (2002 and 2012) that each had a gazillion miles on them by the time I was finished with them.

The TC is not a new version venture, it is a completely different motorcycle and should be viewed as such. The only thing they have in common is the name.

I loved my RSVs. They served me well, providing me with thousands of miles of great memories without ever letting me down. But the new TC truly makes the 2nd gen obsolete in my opinion.

It just isn't fair to compare them against each other.

Comments like this are good to hear and certainly not slamming one model or the other. Everyone has their reasons, experiences, opinion. It is good to hear from riders that have experience with both bikes and as mentioned, it isn't fair to compare one against the other. Consider that the 2nd Gen was designed in 1999...older technology and materials. The SVTC is a 2018 design using updated technology. Different motorcycle ...yes. Best twin touring bike on the market? YES.

... There have been many positive posts here regarding the new Venture. .... I don't ride as much as I used to but if I did, I would have already bought one.....

I'm in this boat too. If I was in a position to buy a new touring bike the SVTC would be 1st on my list. I already have a touring bike, lots of miles left in it, and will likely be the bike I retire from riding on (hopefully many years down the road).

... Every bike has pros & cons, and every owner (many previous HD, Wing, Victory & Star riders) will tell you unequivocally the pros far outweigh the cons....

Agree with you. You mention previous twin riders who found the SVTC to be the best twin touring bike compared to their previous rides. I don't doubt this. 2nd Gen riders switching to the 3rd Gen and preferring it? I don't doubt this either. More advanced tech than the 2nd Gen....other personal life reasons... and I don't fault anyone for going to the SVTC, or any other brand. Good to hear about your experiences with the SVTC and peoples experiences with other brands/bikes.

...90% of those “positive comments” were posted by SVTC owners who are no longer here; and a once vibrant thread filled with all kinds of experiential information about this bike has all but fallen silent.

Positive comments are from those with experience with the SVTC. I comment where I have knowledge and experience. I own a 2nd Gen, but I read posts by 1st and 3rd Gen owners. Pros, cons, experiences. I'm in the category of I don't care what you ride, just glad you ride and hope you ride safe.

... Test ride one, speak with owners (don't listen to non-owners and short test riders....they really don't have a clue) the torque is amazing, 75 mph at 2700 rpm's, very smooth and great two up ride.

... Gonna try to see if I can test ride the 3rd gen soon and also see how much they will give me for the 3 bikes.

I do love both my RSV and RS and the only reason I am considering trading them in is because of the 2013 HD Ultra Classic. The fact that now that I have it and can't sell it, is the factor that is driving my thoughts about trading all 3 bikes in towards the 3rd gen....

If I could sell the HD, this topic would be off the table and I would stick to my RS and RSV. ....

Why can't you sell the HD ? I'm thinking because there are a lot of used HD's on the market and you can't get out of it what you think you should. My comment in my first post in this thread was based on the low mileage on the 2nd Gen, nothing against the 3rd Gen. Your reasoning is sound and from 3rd Gen owner posts about their SVTC...if you get a fair trade in on your 3 bikes, you'll be another proud and happy owner of a SVTC.

I was very happy with my 2nd gen, but wanted ABS, traction control and fuel injection in modern 2018 touring machine.

Did ton of research comparing the new gold wing, top end Harley, Indian and BMW.

For me, TC came out on top. ...

Great post!

Had a 2012 Ultra 103 before my SVTC and the heat issue is not even comparable. If you like an air cooled V twin and like touring, the SVTC is the bike in my opinion. ...

Agree...the SVTC is the top in the twin touring bike market. I'd like to see some comparisons from people that went from Wing to SVTC.

Brian Groves, The link below if for a Face Book Group that is for "Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental Touring & Star Eluder".

There are 1200+ members, some are from here and some have joined this site from recommendations of us VR's on that site.

It will be worth a look for answers to your query.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/781935901987573/

You simply request to join the group, normally approved in a day or less.

I've been in that group for a year along with 4 or 5 Second Gen groups.

If you want the positive information on the 2018's, it is a good site.

If one wants to go negative on the 2018's,,, your visit will be short.

Myself, I did 4 test rides. At my age of 68, I'm not looking for a "mega-bike" with a host of electronics, no matter the brand.

I have a GW Trike for me and my wife, but I still ride two wheels for solo.

So,,, a year ago instead of going to the NEW-Side, I found another low mile, mint RSTD and did a lateral upgrade.

If I was younger,,,, ?

Good luck, Mike G in SC

I doubt I'll ever own a G3 due to my satisfaction with my G2 and my age. But, I like the looks of them and am glad Yamaha took the step to stay in the touring market. In my mind that gives our G1's &2's some credibility rather than riding a "dead" brand name like Venture.