IGNORED

Thinking of a new gun

adventurer 08

Have my eye on either a CVA 450 bushmaster or a CVA 44 MAG Scout, will be hunting in thick brush and maybe 75 yard max shot, I have a shotgun and a muzzleloader all ready just looking at something new. I am hunting in the thumb of Michigan where no rifles/ tapered case guns can be used. Cost is about the same right now. :confused24:

Have my eye on either a CVA 450 bushmaster or a CVA 44 MAG Scout, will be hunting in thick brush and maybe 75 yard max shot, I have a shotgun and a muzzleloader all ready just looking at something new. I am hunting in the thumb of Michigan where no rifles/ tapered case guns can be used. Cost is about the same right now. :confused24:

I am right there with ya buddy - WHAT A BALL!!

I was an avid Michigan deer slaying varmint for many years.. One of my favorite hand gun rounds for knocking em dead was my .44 mag.. Did an AWESOME job in the range you are talking about.. I totally understand your take on the brush hunting - my favorite hunting - either bow or gun - was down in the thick stuff!!

IMHO, that hard hitting .44 mag was AWESOME!! Also found them easy to reload because of the straight jacket, loved Hornady XTP Hollow points and, if I ran out of fun from shooting at cans, ammo was ALWAYS easy to find because of its popularity.. I normally carried my short barreled 30/30 340C Savage (that my dad bought me for my 14th Birthday) when chasing em around up north but in situations like your facing over on the other side = that .44 was AWESOME!

All that said,, I think if it were me in your shoes and having already done the 44 mag scene and thinking of a CVA rifle,, I would probably give the 450 Bushmaster a shot.. DEFINITELY should be a thick brush deer slaying winner IMHO.. And,, it is a change from the ordinary - spice of life and all that..

By the way,, I LOVE the looks of those CVA's and GOOD prices when ya think about it..

Wish I was wealthy,,, I always wanted a Contender with all the barrels and also a Ruger 1 in all calibers (or,, if I were Trump rich,, SHARPS).. The Hunting man cant never have enough shooters I tell ya!!:big-grin-emoticon:

What ever your gonna do ya better do it soon = November 15th draweth nigh!! :thumbsup:

DSCN5892.JPG

DSCN5888.JPG

DSCN5891.JPG

Silencers not legal here in Canada, just not allowed. Yet, a number of gun clubs are being harassed (lawsuits & byelaw complaints) by "neighbours" over noise concerns & in most cases the gun clubs were there before the "neighbours" moved in & built.

So wouldn't the use of silencers help moderate that noise a little, then everyone is happier (or maybe not)

Oh sure post stuff like this where I can see it, I had just calmed down my "NEED" for a new rifle for this hunting season. Now I am all wound up again.

I love the idea of a big magnum that will work in either a handgun or rifle. I have often looked into getting such a combo.

I would probably lean toward the 45-70 as there is a lot of ammo available that is loaded for a rifle.

For the 2 CVAs that you mention, If you reload then I would lean toward the 450, If you are not a reloader then I would lean toward the 44MAG.

Way back when Marlin introduced a lever action in 444 that was designed to hunt in the very same terrain you're talking about. The 444 is a straight walled round, so should be legal??

Henry also puts out a lever in 45-70gov that should knock down every twig for 50 yards and not change POA. If you're into levers??

Way back when Marlin introduced a lever action in 444 that was designed to hunt in the very same terrain you're talking about. The 444 is a straight walled round, so should be legal??

Henry also puts out a lever in 45-70gov that should knock down every twig for 50 yards and not change POA. If you're into levers??

Cant help but imagine that Henry would be on the pricey side of a shootin iron... Now ya got me wondering Jack,, gonna go play on GunBroker and see what they are going for... Sure are really pretty guns those Henry's.. I personally am partial to the ol Octagon barrel's = sort of Buffalo Gun look to it IMHO...

Hmmm,, not as painful as I thought: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/701269293

Not that cha got me hi-jackin this thread and totally :stirthepot: up looking at shootin iron's,, I think I would rather go this route:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/701762189

No,, no no no,, take it back,,, thinking this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/700530753

I can pickup a CVA Scout in 44 mag 25 in flutted stainless barrel with scope mounts for $299 or a CVA Hunter in black and blue in 450 Bushmaster with scope rings for $269. Having a Ruger 44 mag pistol would be easy on ammo, the 450 shells are a bit pricey and not to much to pick from. There both single shot guns but I don't mind. Once sighted in I might only shot it once or twice a year.

For me those options make it a much harder choice. The ammo availability is why I mentioned reloading ability as a factor. I am a reloader so ammo availability is of little concern to me, I don't know if it is for you.

As for stainless vs blued, If you are going to take it hunting then to me it is stainless all the way. If I have a choice I will never buy another blued hunting gun. I have had blued guns showing bits of rust buy the end of just one day of hunting in the rain. For me and my bad eyes, a scope is also a requirement.

I can pickup a CVA Scout in 44 mag 25 in flutted stainless barrel with scope mounts for $299 or a CVA Hunter in black and blue in 450 Bushmaster with scope rings for $269. Having a Ruger 44 mag pistol would be easy on ammo, the 450 shells are a bit pricey and not to much to pick from. There both single shot guns but I don't mind. Once sighted in I might only shot it once or twice a year.

I figured that and pretty much read that into what you originally wrote = we think a lot alike 08.. You are thinking of a hunting gun,, something to inexpensively bust thru the brush with and knock down some deer = have some fun and not have a bunch of cash tied up.. Yep,, like Fool above,, I would DEFINITELY go stainless.. Even toss on some camo spray if I was worried about it being to shiny.. I would do it up in 44 mag flutted stainless and stick a cheap 3x9 scope on it for looking for horns with a set of see thru's or flip down mounts so I could still use my open sites if needed (thats how I have my 30/30 set up above)..

That would be one deer killin machine right there IMHO..

I love the old school true blued weapons but gotta say,, stainless is soooooooo much better = can beat on em, put em away wet and not end up with a rusted out mess at the end of a long day in the woods..

Speaking cheap hunting stuff..

I picked up a BSA 24x scope a while back for 50 bucks.. Brand new,, got all the fixens (end cap extensions for sun block).. Anyone ever have any experience with BSA???

Sorry for the :hijacked: 08,, its a flaw in my flawed character..

My last deer was taken with my 44 Mag Ruger Blackhawk. Loved hunting with it toped off with a 2X scope.

I've also own a .444 Marlin chambered in a Remington Rolling Block that's always been fun to hunt with, Barreled in a tapered half round / half octagon barrel in I think 18 or 20". In those close woods ranges a single shot was all about one could expect.

Larry

I've owned a couple of Marlin 444 over the years. They are fantastic brush guns.

Speaking about brush guns, my home use to sit right on the Michigan shotgun/rifle zone line Don (been a number of years since I checked - may still be the line if there is one still).. Do you folks down there in Ohio have such thing?? I did a LOT of brush Hunting down in southern Michigan (where Tippy is from) and,, after a very short time, found out just how amazing even a shotgun can be for plowing thru the thick stuff and knocking stiffer than a board... I had a 3 inch chambered 870 Remington 12 gauge Pump that I picked up a slug barrel for and gotta say,, out to 100 yards it was amazingly accurate and that great big honkin slug coming out of that 3 inch chamber could almost bust em right thru solid oak trees... That sucker was nasty and kicked like a mule.. Hit a pretty good size 7 point with one once at 45 yards and it flipped em over like he got hit by a semi :big-grin-emoticon:

Cant help but imagine that Henry would be on the pricey side of a shootin iron... Now ya got me wondering Jack,, gonna go play on GunBroker and see what they are going for... Sure are really pretty guns those Henry's.. I personally am partial to the ol Octagon barrel's = sort of Buffalo Gun look to it IMHO...

GunBroker is where I usually look to find values, and see what's available. Since Cowboy competition has become popular a lot of the old calibers are coming back again.

Hmmm,, not as painful as I thought: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/701269293

Not that cha got me hi-jackin this thread and totally :stirthepot: up looking at shootin iron's,, I think I would rather go this route:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/701762189

No,, no no no,, take it back,,, thinking this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/700530753

I gotta chuckle at that one Puc. Here's my 45-70 Pedersoli 1874 Sharps. Some day I'm gonna have to take a few better pics....

916781ab-e8a6-4e6b-ae93-35d46b6c9843_zpsmkbalsy9.jpg

Edited by Condor

GunBroker is where I usually look to find values, and see what's available. Since Cowboy competition has become popular a lot of the old calibers are coming back again.

I gotta chuckle at that one Puc. Here's my 45-70 Pedersoli 1874 Sharps. Some day I'm gonna have to take a few better pics....

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads/tipologie/ico/63S.789.jpg

WOWZY WOW WOW thats purdier than a pair of barefoot bucktooth 8 year olds pulling in panfish on cane poles Jack = GORGEOUS I tell ya,, flat out GORGEOUS!!

THANK YOU for the pic,, would LOVE to see more!! MAN-O'-METER that is Sharp (pun fully intended!!)!!

Puc

P.S. - sold a BUNCH of my antique air guns on Gunbroker before selling out the left overs outright.. Did REAL well on those auctions = GREAT site for the sport/hobby I tell ya!! That where you landed the Sharps?

Speaking about brush guns, my home use to sit right on the Michigan shotgun/rifle zone line Don (been a number of years since I checked - may still be the line if there is one still).. Do you folks down there in Ohio have such thing?? I did a LOT of brush Hunting down in southern Michigan (where Tippy is from) and,, after a very short time, found out just how amazing even a shotgun can be for plowing thru the thick stuff and knocking stiffer than a board... I had a 3 inch chambered 870 Remington 12 gauge Pump that I picked up a slug barrel for and gotta say,, out to 100 yards it was amazingly accurate and that great big honkin slug coming out of that 3 inch chamber could almost bust em right thru solid oak trees... That sucker was nasty and kicked like a mule.. Hit a pretty good size 7 point with one once at 45 yards and it flipped em over like he got hit by a semi :big-grin-emoticon:

Ohio changed their law a couple years ago. It was previously shotgun only. Now you can use a rifle that shoots a straight case handgun round. Not sure if the 444 would fit into that category or not as I've never seen a handgun chambered in that round. Don't know exactly how the law actually reads.

WV. is a little different. You can use any center fire cartridge to hunt with. There is a few areas that are bow hunt only but not because of population. Hunting with hand gun is limited to 40 cal. and up. And I think there is a 6" barrel length also. Not sure of this I would have to check the manual to be sure.

Per Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources

Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

WOWZY WOW WOW thats purdier than a pair of barefoot bucktooth 8 year olds pulling in panfish on cane poles Jack = GORGEOUS I tell ya,, flat out GORGEOUS!!

THANK YOU for the pic,, would LOVE to see more!! MAN-O'-METER that is Sharp (pun fully intended!!)!!

Puc

P.S. - sold a BUNCH of my antique air guns on Gunbroker before selling out the left overs outright.. Did REAL well on those auctions = GREAT site for the sport/hobby I tell ya!! That where you landed the Sharps?

No, but I have bought several rifles off GunBroker in the past from all over the US. The Pedersoli Sharps came from a local party. I was looking for the same 'big 50' gun in 50-90 and ran across this one. Had to have it. Got a great deal on it along with powder, ball, primers, dies, etc. Still looking for the 50, but not as hard... :-)

As Don pointed out the 444 Marlin may not be a Pistol round, but I know for sure the 454 Cassul is. I have it in a lever action Rossi 92, but most of the ammo can be found in the pistol listings. It'll knock down trees as well....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.454_Casull

And.... last but not least... the Henry Mare's Leg Pistol in 44mag. That'd be my choice for brush bustin'....

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/mares-leg/

Edited by Condor