IGNORED

dunlop 404's

chocking

Quick question. Anyone ever run 404's on their Venture on VR...??? I've read so much about Avon Venoms , and am really thinking about order some new rubber for my 83 VR this week, but also have read enough about some bikes having that squirrley feeling above 80. Have not been able to find a matched set of Elite III's Had just thought about the old 404's for a bit. Thought I'd ask the experts. Most riding is solo touring, but do ride some two up around town.

Thanks,

Clay

I am running a set of Michelin Commanders. Never hear anything about them on here but they are really great. Have around 10 or 11000 on the back and around 7500 on the front. I expect about another 2000 or 3000 out of the back and guessing another 4-5000 on the front. Handle great (above 80 has not been a problem - routinely run 85-95 on the interstate) handle great in rain and cold, never had 'em slip. Seem like a great tire for the price.

I've run the 404's several times in my life and they are a pretty good tire, you won't probably get the mileage out of them you will some of the other tires.

I'd buy the E's, I have one on the rear of my RSV right now and I will probably get close to 25000 miles out of it.

Tires are kind a personal thing, I like the Dunlop's, some people don't.

Jerry

My Venture is a 03 and it came with the 404s on it. I didnt get very much Miles and didnt get to wear them out either. They started to cup pretty bad and howl going down the road. Not terrible and definitly not as bad as the Bridgestones that others have reported but also not even close to my Avons. For the price the 404s are a acceptable tire if thats what your budget allows.

I'm on my 4th set of 404s on a RSV. Generally get about 22000 - 24000 kms. per set. I like the www's so for me it's the only game in town. I tried the Avon venoms and they were great but I'm not sold on the smaller front tire, which is the only way I could get them in www. Plus for the price of two Avons you can get three Dunlops and although I never got to wear out a set of Avons, from what I learned here, they don't last any longer.

I am running a set of Michelin Commanders. Never hear anything about them on here but they are really great. Have around 10 or 11000 on the back and around 7500 on the front. I expect about another 2000 or 3000 out of the back and guessing another 4-5000 on the front. Handle great (above 80 has not been a problem - routinely run 85-95 on the interstate) handle great in rain and cold, never had 'em slip. Seem like a great tire for the price.

There are several of us here who run the Commanders. I've had very good results with them.

Guest Bigin

I agree with Royalstarjack

I ran 404's and had cord showing at 3k mi on the rear. Waste of money in my book.-Jack

4600 miles out of my 404's and should have taken them off sooner. They were sticky and handled well but not for long.

Also once you notice they may need changed in near future, the wear starts to accelerate and can catch you off guard even if checking every ride. Not worth it.

If you crunch the numbers adding in the cost of the change out, shipping and so on, you are better off spending almost twice as much for a tire if it gives you 1/3 more mileage.

At least as I recall it.

Plus you are much safer because you are not on marginal tires as frequently.

Won't be running any more bargain tires on my VR.

I've run two sets of D404s and got right around 15,000 miles out of them both. I had no complaints about them and I'd run them again. If I wanted the stock size front tire, that is. I like the narrower front tire, and I want white walls, and this isn't available in the D404. So I run the Avons.

I run 404's and will change to Avon next. The front looks almost new. The rear is going fast, after 5000-6000 miles.

Quick question...can I run a 170/80-15 on the rear? I can pick one up real cheap and run it until I go to Avon.

jrcajn32, I was going to go with 180/70/15 Metzler which Metzler recommends for their stage 1 upgrade. Was told someone tried it at Honda Hoot and came back shortly with serious rubbing. Read about two folks using 170/80/15 and claimed they worked fine. E-mail them both but never got response. I'm leary about both sizes because if you look there is only about 1/4 to 5/16 in. space between swing arm and stock size. Good Luck

IMHO - worthless pieces of fooey...I ride like an old man and no tire should wear out in 6K like that. I got 6K out of the ones that came on my 06. I replaced them with E3s and have 8K on them and they barely show any wear. For the $20 bucks more go with E3s or a few more - Avons.

I had the Dunlops on my 83 and they didnt last 6000 miles, they rode good and made the bike handle good but the compound was too soft and they wore out very fast. I now have the Venoms on and they are the best tire for the money. I dont ride fast enuff to get them squirelly, I have had it up over 90 a couple of times and didnt notice any odd handling...........I now have over 9000 miles on them and still got some life in them..............When I replace, it will be another set of Avons and the same goes for the tires on my V Star 1300.

Chocking,

I ran 404's on my 84 Venture and got about 7000miles (12000 km)on the rear with the cords showing, The front lasts twice as long. I'm running the Elite 3 on the rear now with a 404 on the front and the handling is fine. I have 6000 miles (10000km) on the E3 and it is hardly showing any wear, looks like it will go a long way yet. Had the bike out today for the first ride of the year and she rolled over 98,000 km. Soon she'll hit 00000.0:cool10: Wonder if it will seem like new then?

Good Luck

Rick

I have the original 404s on my RSV. Just turned 10,000 miles as I got home from work. I do not ride aggressively and expect ot get another 4000 to 5000 miles out of the rear tire. No unusual wear and they seem just fine.

On my VStar 650, the rear 404 lasted about 8200 miles, the front is still original at 9200 miles. I replaced the rear with another 404 to keep them matched and the price was right.

From what I have read here about tires, it really sounds like Dunlop has quality control issues.

When I bought my bike used from MR Motorcycles I talked them into putting on new tires.They installed the 404's.NOW after 24,000 miles I am on my 3rd rear tire but still the same front tire.Here are a few pix of the front tire.Note:On the front tire it says rear wheel use only.I made a picture of this and hope it shows up.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2489795320037297848tOXnFq

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2933826850037297848LfMzLd

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2644234370037297848DIybNF

It didn't come out too good but I will make a better one tomorrow.Most of my rear tire wear comes from the sidecar installed but the front one is great shape yet.

I ran the d404s the first 45000 miles. I was always complaining about the grooves the highway dept was cutting in all the roads because they made the bike feel like I wasn't in control. Then I switched tires to a different tread pattern and all of a sudden the bike didn't follow the rain grooves any more. Just changing the back tire made a tremendous difference.

When I bought my bike used from MR Motorcycles I talked them into putting on new tires.They installed the 404's.NOW after 24,000 miles I am on my 3rd rear tire but still the same front tire.Here are a few pix of the front tire.Note:On the front tire it says rear wheel use only.I made a picture of this and hope it shows up.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2489795320037297848tOXnFq

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2933826850037297848LfMzLd

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2644234370037297848DIybNF

It didn't come out too good but I will make a better one tomorrow.Most of my rear tire wear comes from the sidecar installed but the front one is great shape yet.

Rooster, your front tire IS a rear tire!!! MR Motorcycles screwed up that one!! The D404 front has a different tread pattern than the rear, the one in your pic is definitely a rear only tire!! BTW... I have D404's WWW's and love them, both the handling and wear has been very good.

I have no clue how so many people can have such different experiences with the same tire. I ride pretty hard, hard on the gas hard on the brakes, fast in the corners. I got 12k on my 404's. Others only got 3k? How? Also, the 12k on my rear tire is just as the wear indicators not the cords. If I had not hit a road hazard and tore a chunk of rubber out of the side wall I would have a few thousand miles more.

I'm buying another set of 404's.

I have no clue how so many people can have such different experiences with the same tire. .

When I bought my bike it had WWW 404's on it (looked pretty new but I did not know how long they were one.)

I got 12,000 miles on that tire and it had a split in the groove. That tire was not worn out, but was replaced. The next 404 WWW I have 8,000 miles and it is almost worn out.

BRad

I have no clue how so many people can have such different experiences with the same tire. I ride pretty hard, hard on the gas hard on the brakes, fast in the corners. I got 12k on my 404's. Others only got 3k? How? Also, the 12k on my rear tire is just as the wear indicators not the cords. If I had not hit a road hazard and tore a chunk of rubber out of the side wall I would have a few thousand miles more.

I'm buying another set of 404's.

I think they may have changed the compound on the 404. Also I think the tires that come stock on some RSV's may have a different compound than those bought from dealers. The one I had on the back was looking a little worn when I checked it one day. Not worn out but I knew I was gonna need one soon. I rode to work and back(180 mi). When I parked the bike in the garage I noticed a white stripe up the middle of the tire. It was the cord! When it wore out it went fast!-Jack:confused24:

I wouldn't put 404's on a wheelbarrow personally. I had a set on my Roadstar and the rear was gone in 5000 miles and the front was gone in 8000 miles. I don't know how you can where out a front tire in such little time on a cruiser. It was worn out across the entire tread pattern as well. I didn't like em. The grip felt funny. Wet traction sucked.

Your experience may vary.