IGNORED

Value of 1999 Venture

Triple J

I was going to say the same as Joe, around 4K tops, 3.5K for a somewhat fast sale...

Yep... I agree with Joe and Bob. $4000 is the high end, and then let them beat you up... One thing to take into consideration... has it had the rear shock replaced??? I paid $4100 for my '99 with 40K on the odo, a ton of bling, and a new shock about 6 years ago.

I kinda disagree... $4500 with the miles... and I would suggest listing it with other keywords like goldwing, harley, voyager... etc. Very few people know about the Venture.

Plus the 99 is basically a 2013...

And here's my $4200 2004 RSV.

2014-06-05 18.06.44.jpg

Really? That 99 is pretty old I do not care how many miles are on it. I would not purchase a bike that is 18 years old. But that is just me.

So with that mentally you'd never own a classic car or motorcycle? Just because it is older doesn't mean it looses all value.

I paid $3,200 in 2013 for a basically stock '99 with 40k miles in the greater Chicago area. Bike was very clean and well maintained and other than basic maintenance or modification I wanted to do it has been an absolutely perfect machine. I regularly see newer ones listed in the $6-8,000 range but this market tends to be higher priced than most.

So with that mentally you'd never own a classic car or motorcycle? Just because it is older doesn't mean it looses all value.

I paid $3,200 in 2013 for a basically stock '99 with 40k miles in the greater Chicago area. Bike was very clean and well maintained and other than basic maintenance or modification I wanted to do it has been an absolutely perfect machine. I regularly see newer ones listed in the $6-8,000 range but this market tends to be higher priced than most.

We are not talking "Classic" motorcycles or cars. Big difference. Yes I would own a "Classic". I am referring to a daily rider and as I said, I would not purchase an 18 year old bike as a daily rider. Again.....just me.

We are not talking "Classic" motorcycles or cars. Big difference. Yes I would own a "Classic". I am referring to a daily rider and as I said, I would not purchase an 18 year old bike as a daily rider. Again.....just me.

My perspective is that a MC is a luxury item and not necessarily a "daily rider" and there has to be something out there for everyone's budget. I don't mind turning a wrench (or else I wouldn't be able to afford my boat, jet skis & a MC) and can keep older motors running quite easily.

My question to you...what happens between 5 yrs old (new) and 25 yrs old (classic)? Someone has to maintain these things; I'd rather have a nicely maintained and regularly used MC than one that sat. I see people selling bikes that are 20 yrs old "like new" with only a few thousand miles, to me that's a bike that will have issues from dry rotted gaskets and general lack of timely maintenance.

I'm not trying to pick a fight but simply let the original post know that there's someone out there for every budget, and a nice clean used bike has it's place in the market.

I got a 86 I'll let ya have for 3k er no that's the 85...the 99???:think: Never mind I ain't got none for sale..

Edited by Yammer Dan

Sell time back when I had my shop up here in Michigan was always end of Feb thru 1st of June, with the early months being the strongest believe it or not.. Had many March and Aprils that I basically sold out of bikes.. Fall - usually starting mid August/early September thru the 1st of the year were ALWAYS "buy time" with folks getting out of debt from or for Christmas and all that.. Did have a really good buddy (we "woods rode" and raced enduro's together) that worked for one of the bigger dealerships in town (handled the big 4 metrics) who got laid off during the winter months and went down to Florida during that time.. He worked winters down there for a HUGE Honda dealership that always needed salemen.. If I recall.. or winter months here in the North (November - Feb) were their hottest sales months.. You could maybe stop into a shop and ask what their slowest times are in your area - most places will give ya a clue if ya listen and ask the right person..

Biggest items to prep for resale - IMHO, would be CLEAN/DETAIL. Fresh battery (dont wanna chance having to jump it in front of a customer). Decent tires and brake pad conditions, lights all working, tire air pressures up to snuff - anything that would require you to inform the customer of "something you may wanna consider doing soon" is what your trying to avoid. I also found that all except my custom choppers (building those for resale was a RIOT) = even with dings and scratches, STOCK and original paint was more valuable.. Folks around here like originality..Also, stock pipes and stuff too.. Never really saw a huge difference in value with lots of Chrome on the open market - again, stock was better.. Matter of fact, if I took a trade in and the owner had the original parts for the bike - I always switched stuff back and did better value wise in my area.. Tune up wise - even a quick carb sync is better than nothing. If ya got the gauges (or know someone who does) it only takes a second and its a good brag point.

Have no idea what you may get out of a clean 99.. In the not to distant past (back when I was feeling better) it seemed common place for me to see the early 2nd Gens (even the Millenium) at that 3500 mark pretty common out of Florida/Texas and California. I do know that I have seen a few newer ones (yes they are the same bikes here on craigs for 6ish that didnt sell. Maybe search "adhuntr'" for an all of craigs search, do just your area on Craigs with a search for a 2nd Gen.. take notice of asking price and how long the scoot has been listed..

Fingers are tired,, hope this helps in some small way.. All the best in your sale!

Puc