IGNORED

Passenger review request (first gen)

Asher1877

Hello, I'm Asher's wife and he's been telling me that I shouldn't have a problem with comfort after he's done doing the bike. Our last ride was a sportster that he said was "fun" (hint: it wasn't) and that it was comfortable (hint it wasn't) and that this will be different. He's the only motorcyclist I've ever ridden with and I'm hoping this will be a much happier experience than a Harley Sportster or I'm cutting off his funding for the restoration. Please help relieve my worry that this thing will be another torture rack for me (his bike is an '86 venture royal). Thanks everyone!

On an 86 sitting in the passenger seat will be like sitting on a throne. If you are not comfortable in that chair the only other one I think to be better would be a second gen passenger seat.

So he really isn't joking or pulling my leg, it actually is comfortable? I'm a larger woman 200lbs, five foot three so even at my size I shouldn't feel squished like I did on the Sportster he had?

So he really isn't joking or pulling my leg, it actually is comfortable? I'm a larger woman 200lbs, five foot three so even at my size I shouldn't feel squished like I did on the Sportster he had?

More room on the first gen rear seat than you will find on a goldwing...imo...though the second gen is capable of moving the trunk back an extra inch I am told.

Actually my wife once commented she was more comfortable on our old 1st gen than on our 2nd gen! I did move the trunk back on both bikes, but on the 1st gen I had to fabricate some extender brackets (flat piece of metal with holes) whereas on the 2nd gen it was a matter of using the second set of holes already in the trunk.

IMHO ANYTHING would be more comfortable than the back of a Sportster, but YES, Ventures are rolling barcaloungers...

My wife rode on the back of our 85, and loved it, and you are smaller than her. I did move the seat back with a couple of flat bar extensions, about 1.5", and I had to cut the back of the rise of the seat to accommodate the parts that were interfering with the rise. I also had to cut the back of the seat pan down a bit, because it started biting her underparts when seated. But in the end, she loved it. The only improvement was that later on, about 6 years, we bought a Spyder, and now she likes that better, only because I'm the rider, otherwise it is still the 85 for her.

As an afterthought, nothing to do with the afterparts mind you, just thinking,,,, everybody has different shapes and sizes, and one size does not fit all. Best to do trial and error. Try it the way it is, be critical, comment on the comforts or non-comforts and adjust a bit,,, move the trunk, cut the seat back, cut the pan down all in sequence, not all at the same time.

My wife loved our 87 Venture never a complaint. If I remember correctly there was a handle to adjust the back of the seat into different inclines. I am not knocking Sportsters but I dont think they were designed for passenger comfort.

Craig

It's like a Dodge Neon vs. a Lincoln Town Car. Not even in the same league.

I will say the suspension has to be adjusted properly. When my wife started riding with me she'd occasionally let out a grunt on bumps. I finally figured out the suspension was bottoming out and that would give her quite a smack. I put another 20PSI in the shock and she was much happier.

And yes, she's been known to sleep back there.

It's like a Dodge Neon vs. a Lincoln Town Car. Not even in the same league.

I will say the suspension has to be adjusted properly. When my wife started riding with me she'd occasionally let out a grunt on bumps. I finally figured out the suspension was bottoming out and that would give her quite a smack. I put another 20PSI in the shock and she was much happier.

And yes, she's been known to sleep back there.

Micarl is right my wife did exact the same thing. We ended up with 70 in the rear shock no more complaints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Actually my wife once commented she was more comfortable on our old 1st gen than on our 2nd gen! I did move the trunk back on both bikes, but on the 1st gen I had to fabricate some extender brackets (flat piece of metal with holes) whereas on the 2nd gen it was a matter of using the second set of holes already in the trunk.

IMHO ANYTHING would be more comfortable than the back of a Sportster, but YES, Ventures are rolling barcaloungers...

+3

Same here. Lady loves the rear of the 1st gen over the 2nd gen. And yes, she has fallen asleep back there....once in a hairy high speed corner. She woke up when I scrapped something leaned way over. My fault. Decreasing radius curve caught me.

I did move the 2nd gen trunk back, but she says the adjustable backrest is wonderful on the 1st gen.

+3

Same here. Lady loves the rear of the 1st gen over the 2nd gen. And yes, she has fallen asleep back there....once in a hairy high speed corner. She woke up when I scrapped something leaned way over. My fault. Decreasing radius curve caught me.

I did move the 2nd gen trunk back, but she says the adjustable backrest is wonderful on the 1st gen.

Ok you all have me lost. Adjustable Back Rest I did not know this was possible but I have a standard Venture. My GF loves the back of the Venture My oldest boy has fallen asleep back there.

Ok you all have me lost. Adjustable Back Rest I did not know this was possible but I have a standard Venture. My GF loves the back of the Venture My oldest boy has fallen asleep back there.

1st gen Venture Royales have a three position back rest... Allowing the passenger to lay back a little. That and the nice size of the back rest gives her great back support.

Please help relieve my worry that this thing will be another torture rack for me (his bike is an '86 venture royal). Thanks everyone!

I'll chime in and concur with others. Wife (as passenger) and I have toured together for 44 years on wings, yamies & bmr's. Both at 6' and around 200, the 87VR' has been hands down the most comfortable of the lot with averaging continuous touring of 12-16 weeks/yr. Seat and backrest are stock. I installed aftermarket arm rests, extended footpegs 3" and never leave home without ye old sheepskin. You can't go too far wrong. :080402gudl_prv:

I've been asked (repeatedly) why I insisted on my Venture rather than a Harley. Price was a factor, but comfort was more of a factor. I tell everyone that'll listen that my Venture is the most comfortable 2-up touring machine ever built. I did move the trunk back the 1" to buy a little more room after I added my drivers backrest, but I'm gonna keep this thing until I can't find a way to keep it going.

The standing joke is that when I bought it we were about to refurnish the living room. My wife said she wanted to buy a couch fast. I misunderstood. I bought a fast couch.

Hmmmm, why I did not buy a Harley...

I don't stop at every bar

I wanted a bike to last more than 30,000 miles before a major overhaul

I don't like replacing parts that fall off

I have a nice clean cement driveway, don't like oil stains

Don't need a full body massage at every stop light

Plus the reasons you said...

Hmmmm, why I did not buy a Harley...

I don't stop at every bar

I wanted a bike to last more than 30,000 miles before a major overhaul

I don't like replacing parts that fall off

I have a nice clean cement driveway, don't like oil stains

Don't need a full body massage at every stop light

Plus the reasons you said...

There was an old saying about harley's see if I can requote it right. Crap mind went blank..... But it had to do with all the vibrations vibrating every nut and bolt loose. I love there sound but thats where the buck stop as that goes. I will say I have road bikes for many many years and the smoothness of acceleration and the cushion of the seat I Have managed to ride mine for 150 miles straight if it had a bigger fuel tank I probably would have road it further without stopping. The foot pegs my 83 had however would cramp her feet. So I would say even my preference would be to have Floor Boards.

So... Asher's wife, now that you have the picture of a LazyBoy on wheels have you determined your first destination? We have meet n greets, maintenance days, ice cream runs, charity ride to St Judes, rallies and just good fellowship. Pick an event and I bet it will motivate Asher to step up his game on the restoration.

So... Asher's wife, now that you have the picture of a LazyBoy on wheels have you determined your first destination? We have meet n greets, maintenance days, ice cream runs, charity ride to St Judes, rallies and just good fellowship. Pick an event and I bet it will motivate Asher to step up his game on the restoration.

Um can someone tell me where the recline lever is. I still haven't found it. Boy if I had a backrest on mine wowzers u I would probably fall asleep.

images.jpg

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk