IGNORED

Approximate value?

baylensman

So I did a dumb thing and went by the Stealership over the weekend.

i've got an '07 19544 miles execellent shape ( high B low A street riden)

K&N filters

Twinkes and lower covers

Chrome bead trim lower fairings and gas tank.

Leater ditty bag on tank (quick remove type)

Wired for intercom with headsets ( wearable to use under half helmet or do-rag)

Stainless radiator cover

LED turns signals

1" risers ( cold be 1 1/4" its as high as they could go with out changing cable and hoses)

Stop light bar with flash

Lighted License plate frame

Front fender trim

Saddle bag side trim

Luggage rack

Driving lights

LED accents (green)

Projecters in the saddle bags with yamaha logo.

new F1 windsheild

Dunlop elites front and rear (almost new front rear about 2K)

3 way switch block on R/H riser for lights.

Upgrade (sky doc) clutch

FLH pipes (stockers go with it)

I walked when he told what my bike was worth!! So the @#$@ salesman says my bike is worth $4800 if the are being generous.

I walk his lot and he has an 06 listed at $5500 and an 07 at $8k both look a lot rougher than mine.

I understand profit and all that, I told the guy straight up when we sat down if he got to $7k on mine i'd ride a new bike out, and I still got that offer. Am I out line or is he. Checking cycle trader in the area i don't seem to be out of line especially as the the milage is under 20K and all the extras.

OK two important facts of life, number one dealers are in business to make money, they want/need to make at least $2000 to keep the lights on, heat/cool the building, pay the office staff, property taxes, insurance, etc, and put food on the table.

Second fact of life, and I KNOW I am going to get a lot of flack for this statement, accessories and personalization of bikes, cars, trucks, etc. do little or nothing to increase the resale value.

So, I am thinking the dealer is sort of justified with his quote, the best way to get what you think the bike is worth is to sell it outright. Now, I'm not sure how it works in your state, but in New York, there is no tax on the amount of your trade in against the total value of your purchase, so say in the case of a new car, if they give you 8K for your car and the one you are buying is 30K, you end up paying sales tax on 22K, which with an 8 3/4% sales tax can save you quite a bit of money not to mention the aggravation of trying to sell it yourself (time is money) plus if something goes wrong with the vehicle immediately after selling it,it comes back on you...

OK two important facts of life, number one dealers are in business to make money, they want/need to make at least $2000 to keep the lights on, heat/cool the building, pay the office staff, property taxes, insurance, etc, and put food on the table.

Second fact of life, and I KNOW I am going to get a lot of flack for this statement, accessories and personalization of bikes, cars, trucks, etc. do little or nothing to increase the resale value.

So, I am thinking the dealer is sort of justified with his quote, the best way to get what you think the bike is worth is to sell it outright. Now, I'm not sure how it works in your state, but in New York, there is no tax on the amount of your trade in against the total value of your purchase, so say in the case of a new car, if they give you 8K for your car and the one you are buying is 30K, you end up paying sales tax on 22K, which with an 8 3/4% sales tax can save you quite a bit of money not to mention the aggravation of trying to sell it yourself (time is money) plus if something goes wrong with the vehicle immediately after selling it,it comes back on you...

Yup, totally agree. It's just the way it is, and actually I'm surprised that you were surprised at the dealers quote.

I just did a trade and got 7K for my 2009 with 48K miles.....Time of year, condition, and dealer profit requirement makes a difference as others have stated. Add-ons don't seem to do much for the price. I don't feel bad since I only paid 9K for it two years ago. I might have gotten another 1K out of it if I sold it myself, but didn't want to fool around with it and it probably wouldn't have sold til spring here in Michigan. The important thing on a trade is the difference anyway and dealers have the advantage playing with the numbers.

Its just weird to me I used to buy and trade classic cars and parts there of. I had a simple formula 35 down 30 up in other words know 35% off what i could get if i was buying or mark it up 30% to sell. That covered my expenses for warehousing, and I made a decent living.If somebdoy came in to me offering to give me a $10 k retail car plus $3k in cash for a $10k car i'd take that deal all day. I guess the world just changed. Haven't bought anything but trinkets at a dealer (car or bike) since 1981. May go the sell it private route, then again may ride this one another couple years and wait for the 20' whatever venture

Edited by baylensman
kent speel goud

Have to agree on farkle and price boost not being there. If you look @ like Kelly Blue Book or NADA you can kind of see what MAY ad a few $$. But not allways. When I was looking up trade value to trade mine about all I could get that showed a boost was driver backrest and driving lights. The pegs, different windshields etc just dont add anything. The bikes came dressed out so well new just hard to add value. A private buyer will see added values as it is things he would like to add. Rest assured the dealer would be sure to point out the extras.

The auto dealers in my area used to ask their fantasy price for their autos and the first thing they wanted to know is if you had a trade. If so, they wouldn't talk about reducing their price, just trade difference. For example, if their fantasy price was $20k for an auto and they really wanted $17k for it they would offer you $3k more than their wholesale price that they were willing to pay for your car. Buyer went away happy that he got a good price for his tradein and the dealer got the tradein at wholesale. They don't do that any more maybe because of NADA that gives an average tradein value. The tradein value was inflated under that method. Now, they offer you their wholesale or usually less than wholesale for your tradein against whatever they really want for their auto. Most of the time, I don't like the process. When I bought a used Miata for my son from the local Ford dealer's used lot, the sales manager deserved an academy award for his acting and his lies that I had to deal with before I got him to his minimum price. I felt like I needed a bath after I left he was so sleazy. On the plus side it was a fantastic and reliable used car for my son.

New bike dealerships are not all created equal IMHO.. When it comes to Trade In allowances a lot can be influenced by their volume and by their Franchise agreements - some places are controlled right down to exact floor plan outlay and held to exact year and models of used/trade in bikes they are allowed to have in the building.. Its not always as it seems in the bike business world..

Never hurts to shop around...:thumbsup:

In real life the trade-in value isn't worth squat. It's the difference you need to come up with between your trade and the new bike that counts. If a dealer has the new bike priced where there's no profit margin, don't expect to get a ton out of your trade. Conversely if the price is packed, he can offer you a ton. Simple as that.... That's why it pays to shop around.

I agree with Bob, I don't care how much aftermarket goodies are on a bike, it adds virtually nothing to the price. I have an '07 with most of the trinkets and custom pin stripping. Won't get me too much more than a bike without it. It is what it is and if your going to be a bike owner, you better get used to it.

In real life the trade-in value isn't worth squat. It's the difference you need to come up with between your trade and the new bike that counts. If a dealer has the new bike priced where there's no profit margin, don't expect to get a ton out of your trade. Conversely if the price is packed, he can offer you a ton. Simple as that.... That's why it pays to shop around.

Agreed

Mike