IGNORED

A change in replying to threads

Freebird

OK...I fully expect to get some complaints about this but I don't know of another way to compromise and please everybody. A good while back, I turned off the option of letting you choose how you want the posts within a thread to be displayed. There are three options available. Linear, Threaded, Hybrid. It seems that the most popular way is "Linear" and that is how it has been set for some time now. Some people really hate it though and prefer the threaded or hybrid displays. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can go to "settings" at the very upper right and then to "general settings" and look at "thread display mode". I had it set so that you could NOT change it from linear and though most seem ok with that, some prefer the other ways.

Therefore, I have turned it back on so that you have a choice. I remember turning it off because it caused some issues but I can't remember what it was. I THINK though that it was due to the "quick reply" feature. The way to solve that problem is to require a "click" to reply to a thread so that is how I have set it now. That means that you won't see a reply box at the end of a thread until you click on the "reply to thread" button.

Here is the technical explanation of why that is necessary.

If you enable Quick Reply, a box will appear on the showthread.php page allowing users to reply to the current thread without needing to load the full newreply.php page.

When Quick Reply is enabled, you may specify whether or not users must click the Quick Reply icon in order to start typing in the Quick Reply editor.

If you choose not to require a click, the system will not know to which post a user is replying, making both the threaded and hybrid display modes nonsensical.

We strongly recommend that you set the option to require a click if you use Quick Reply and have Threaded Mode available on your forums.

I guess it ain't all that hard to do that one extra click.:stirthepot:

I am sure that even us old farts can muddle our way thru this one.:backinmyday::whistling:

Thanks Don for all that you do to keep all of us ungrateful pot stirrers and even some pot lickers happy. I know it is a thankless job.

If it is now necessary to click to use the quick reply form why not just do away with it and go straight to advanced? In any case, I've never been able to understand the value of the quick reply form which seems kinda pointless.

If it is now necessary to click to use the quick reply form why not just do away with it and go straight to advanced? In any case, I've never been able to understand the value of the quick reply form which seems kinda pointless.

"quick" as it was before the change had the box visible so you could "quickly" type and send a response. Having it so you need to click to open the "quick reply" box does seem pointless ... might as well just open the "advanced" window by default instead.

"quick" as it was before the change had the box visible so you could "quickly" type and send a response. Having it so you need to click to open the "quick reply" box does seem pointless ... might as well just open the "advanced" window by default instead.
Didn't I just say that?

Hmmm... does that mean you are agreeing with me? Huh... well I never....

I liked that quick reply thing way to go. Just type your reply, click reply, and one click to get back to where I was before, now I got more clicks to do and just when I gots me a new computrt thing,, man all this learnin and I'm running out of time.