IGNORED

The stupid people made me do it...

Air Ready Auto

By day I am a big rig mechanic dealing mostly with the trailer side of things. My job is simple. Take the write-up, do the repairs, park the unit. Unfortunately, the write-ups are generated by the drivers... Having been in the industry for a few years now I have found that most, NOT ALL​, truckers are idiots. I provide the following example. Write-up--- "These breakes is a whore." I picked this one up towards the end of a difficult and hot day where most of the day had been spent repairing a unit that someone had driven over a huge rock and done massive underside damage. That little part of me that I generally am able to ignore took over and I wrote in the mechanics response "Counseled the unit on the dangers of sleeping around and catching an STD. Reminded unit that there are programs out there where it can seek help. Warned unit that it should use protection even if it's pimp says not too." I parked the trailer and called it a day. The next morning my boss had a little chat with me. He thought it was funny but I shouldn't do it again. We laughed it off and I got to work. Shortly after noon I picked up this "Fix tha breakes! Lazy f#$+@%s." Same unit and, I'm assuming, same driver. Well ok then. This time I hooked my equipment up and did a full run down on the brakes. I found that that they were a little out of adjustment and one of the chambers was blown. I did the repairs and wrote in the mechanics response "I'm not sure what breakes are but I checked the unit out and replaced blown RR chamber and adjusted the BRAKES. Recommend basic English, communication and manners course for driver." My boss didn't think that was as funny. I just told him that "The stupid people made me do it" and it could have been avoided if we had a stupid to English translator. I have Monday off now. :cool: I think I might have to go chase my front tire around.:biker::rotf:

You can't fix stupid, don't waste your time trying. Seems like you're paid to fix equipment, not be judgmental of the customer base. Probably best stick to what you are paid for IMO (of course) before you find yourself unemployed.

I quit trying to fix stupid second year in the Navy. I'm also not being judgmental of anybody. I believe firmly in the judge not lest you be judged. I'm just tired of stupid getting the better end of the deal.

You can fix stupid....but they give you three hots and cot for about 20 years.

Look on the bright side, look at all the nice people you meet in there that want to be your friend.

Ya your right probably not worth it.

Bubber

You can fix stupid....but they give you three hots and cot for about 20 years.

Look on the bright side, look at all the nice people you meet in there that want to be your friend.

Ya your right probably not worth it.

Bubber

And you got me to come around and tell you goodnight every evening......:mugshot:

You cannot fix stupid because stupid people are too stupid to know how stupid they are. That is the short version of a survey I read that basically said stupid people do not realize they are stupid. It also said stupid people get promoted because a stupid boss does not recognize stupidity. It is frustrating but you just have to live with the fact that they are never going to change.

It can be best to not take any advice from me.

Every now and then my stupid people filter gets clogged and I get honest with them. I have had to pay the price. Usually a day or 3 off without pay. To me, when it happens it is worth it. It does not happen often, not in a long long while now. But if I had to bet, it will happen again.

I am fortunate that my bosses sense of humor is similar to mine, he has to try to keep a straight face when he is telling me to stop picking on the stupid people. But I have never even been threatened with time off. But then he also is aware (because he asked) that I use time off without pay for job hunting.

While no one is irreplaceable, I at least fall into a pool of those that would be difficult to replace.

Well, I've always had somewhat of a problem with not saying what is on my mind. I try very hard here to keep things on an even keel but in my work life, I'm not quiet so controlled. Yes, it has cost me significantly a few times in my life. It cost me two or three very good promotions when I was younger and working in the power plant industry. It cost me again a couple of years ago with my present company when I spoke up when a new sales manager announced some really stupid new requirements on a company conference call to all of us. After my comments, he simply said "this call is now concluded". I knew how mad I made him about 30 - 45 days later when the yearly bonuses were paid. I calculate that my honestly cost me about $7500.00. Was it worth it? Probably not but oh well. The thing is, I was right and he was fired about 4 months later. To be fair, I think that they knew I was unfairly punished and though they never really admitted it, my bonus the following year was much better than I expected. I think they just made up what I had lost the previous year.

I wrote service years ago for a car dealer. We were always ask what causes that, My response was usually that, it was driven too much when it was new:) or the nut behind the wheel was loose. It was known on a few of the people that when it was payment time, the vehicle would be brought into the shop for nothing/everything. Often showing on the order that we were unable to duplicate the problem. Yes we saw our fair share of these people you refer to. your service writer should be your buffer between you and the client, I always was, as some of the tech had little or no people skills..

As a former Army communications tech, I feel your pain.

As a former AF Crew Chief, I feel your pain.

As a former commercial refrigeration service tech, I feel your pain.

The smartest stupid people I know are military officers, pilots and engineers.

The service industry sucks in general but It's one of the few things I'm any good at.

Reminds me of an incedent years ago in our model shop. One of the engineers brought in a job to make a model part out of .005" stock with a tolerance of plus or minus .005". The model maker just had to have some fun with that. When the engineer picked up his job he had an empty box with the print inside. When he inquired about his part the model make told him it was in the box made to the low side of the tolerance. He wasn't amused.