IGNORED

Are Motorcycles allowed to travel in the Car Pool Lane?

VanRiver

I found out that here in Arizona motorcycles are allowed to travel in the Car Pool "Diamond" lane.

Is this unique to AZ, or does that also apply to other states?

I guess if you travel like these guys then you qualify no matter what!:cool10: The guy on the fender is nicknamed "bumper"! Are they a motorcycle gang that only owns one bike (they do have matching jackets..which always make you look cooler not matter what you ride....right?)!

IMG_5302.JPG

• 2 months later...

In the United States per Federal Law 23 U.S. Code § 166 - HOV facilities motorcycles are allowed in the HOV lanes unless the state has applied for an exemption to this regulation for safety reasons. I have not been able to find any states that have applied for, and received, this exemption. If however there is a toll HOV lane, i.e. Peach Pass lane on I85 in Georgia, the motorcycle will be required to pay that toll.

'Bumper' pulled the short straw.

Good thread. Never actually read Ontario HOV rules. The more checking around, found a couple of Ontario HOV & Diamond lane rules I didn't know about. The way I read the motorcycle rule, 400 & QEW HOV's must have 2 people on bike, not allowed with one person. ( 3 demerits and a nice 150$ fine). About 1/2 of Diamond-HOV lanes designated in the City of Toronto allow motorcycles with one or two people only certain times of the day. :scratchchin:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/ontario-511/hov-lanes.shtml

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2008/law0378.pdf

In the United States per Federal Law 23 U.S. Code § 166 - HOV facilities motorcycles are allowed in the HOV lanes unless the state has applied for an exemption to this regulation for safety reasons. I have not been able to find any states that have applied for, and received, this exemption. If however there is a toll HOV lane, i.e. Peach Pass lane on I85 in Georgia, the motorcycle will be required to pay that toll.

Where on the keypad is the squiggly symbol after the word Code and before 166? That's a good job w the symbol.

( silly I know)

As SilvrT said in BC Canada YES! Around Vancouver (maybe elsewhere to) they even have signs indicating "motorcycles OK". Here they're designated HOV & to use them (in a car etc) you are required to have a minimum of one passenger (plus driver) Recently Electric Vehicles (with a permit) were also added to the permission.

One has to be very careful however as increasingly I see motorists using the HOV lane as a passing lane (illegally) I've been cut off a few times (both on bike & in car) by some clown who just want's to get past someone :(

Another annoying occurence is when a driver is using the HOV lane illegally & is constantly looking to "get out" if he thinks he may be caught! So they drive constantly tapping their brakes, soooo frustrating.

I found out that here in Arizona motorcycles are allowed to travel in the Car Pool "Diamond" lane.

Is this unique to AZ, or does that also apply to other states?

I guess if you travel like these guys then you qualify no matter what!:cool10: The guy on the fender is nicknamed "bumper"! Are they a motorcycle gang that only owns one bike (they do have matching jackets..which always make you look cooler not matter what you ride....right?)!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106770

"Bumper" could give new meaning to getting "rear ended"

One has to be very careful however as increasingly I see motorists using the HOV lane as a passing lane (illegally) I've been cut off a few times (both on bike & in car) by some clown who just want's to get past someone :(

Another annoying occurence is when a driver is using the HOV lane illegally & is constantly looking to "get out" if he thinks he may be caught! So they drive constantly tapping their brakes, soooo frustrating.

Here in Dallas, TX, HOV seems to translate to PASSING LANE, unless there is physical barrier preventing it. I wish I could execute those F'ers, they usually the most erratic drivers.

As far as MCs in HOV I have never seen them restricted in all my travels. Many places seem to encourage their use. However, a couple of years ago I did read that a guy on a MC got a ticket for using the HOV on a bridge. I believe it was in NY. I don't remember if the ticket was later dropped. Or maybe it was one of those exemptions mentioned earlier.

Where on the keypad is the squiggly symbol after the word Code and before 166? That's a good job w the symbol.

( silly I know)

§ Symbol means section.

It is made on most windows computers by pressing and holding the ALT key and entering 21 on the numeric keypad then release the ALT key. There are a lot of useful special characters that can be accessed with the ALT key. You must use the numeric keypad and not the row of numbers above the characters. If you do not have a numeric keypad like on a laptop, then you may have a fn button + NumLk that will turn some of the letters into a numeric keypad. Don't forget to change it back or your typing will look funny.

Google "ALT Code" The symbols sometimes change with different fonts.

Usually if there is an HOV lane, there will be a sign close by that will say motorcycles are OK. I will use the HOV lanes in Orlando if I'm up that way. I have also used them in several other states and so far (fingers crossed) not got hassled about it.