IGNORED

Garage door opener

Kybigmac

I've been looking to get a tank bib with a pocket to put my garage door opener in. Then I got to thinking maybe someone on here had come up with a better way to mount or hide the opener. Thx in advance for any help!

IF you can find a 12v opener for your garage door you can do a pretty slick thing and wire it to your high beam headlight. I had this at my hold house, can't find it for the new house:

short across the switch so it's "always on"

get 12v power from your high beam and flash your brights to open the garage door.

I took the chrome top / cap off an ink pen.

Drilled the hole a little larger to match the diameter if a mini push button switch.

I then wired up the mini switch and slid it into the ink pen chrome top piece. The wires were about 2ft long.

I then filled the chrome top piece with black RTV to make it water proof.

The mini switch was then mounted on the left handle bar just in front of clutch lever (see attached Pic- Ref: RED button switch)

I took a mini garage door opener and snapped it apart and soldered the 2 wires from my mini switch to the circuit board with the 2 wires that go to the garage door opener switch.

I used the hot soldering iron and melted a very small hole in the garage door opener providing access for the 2 wires and the plastic case could snap back together. I used black RTV inside and on th eoutside fo the garage door opener around the two wires making it water proof.

Using Velcro, I mounted the garage door opened on the inside of the fairing on the left side just above the 12 volt accessory supply.

Even in the rain or washing the bike I never had an issue with it.

See attached pic of mini switch made from chrome ink pen cap.

Garage door opener.jpg

On my 83 MKI with a MKII headlight assembly and have upgraded to a Royale clutch side electricals, I use the push-to-talk button. I use an aftermarket opener assembly that wires into the push button on the door. I mounted the opener with velcro on the inside of the fairing and wired thru the PTT button and it is easy to get to and works good.

Randy

I use my Iphone to open my garage door. I never leave without my phone. It is a free app. and it tells you anytime your garage is opened and you can see how long it is open or closed for. It was an add on for my garage door opener called My Q for a chamberlain garage door opener. I believe most new ones have this capability.